Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thunder's Shack

1. Default Thunder's Shack

I am not sure if I should put this here or in the Open Topic. This will be my blog to post updates with everyone on here. Why? Cuz I'm so happy! :-P

^^^ Tables set there for a few hours.

^^^ These tables will be where the palm tree things are. That palm tree you see in the picture is not for sale!

^^^ Shelves for more palm tree things. And that glass table with wooden bottom came with a mirror set. It was originally posted for $75. I asked for $30. Rejected. A week later, the lady adjusted the price to $45, so I rushed for it.

^^^ This table will be for random and cheaper things. The mini table in the corner is temporary until I find a decent mini desk (wish IKEA was here...).

And for the center of the rug, I am thinking of a nice coffee table. No rush. I will find the right one some day. Now, where in the world will I set up a Goldfish tank?! I have a few months to think on that. :-P

Also, if anyone is good with woodworking, I am willing to pay for a storefront. Something like 4 to 6 foot doorway (so I can put up a rod for curtain closing) with both side being half wall and window view.
    Last edited by Pete; 05-01-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Also, if anyone is good with woodworking, I am willing to pay for a storefront. Something like 4 to 6 foot doorway (so I can put up a rod for curtain closing) with both side being half wall and window view.
    Put a sketch up, Thunder, I am a semi-retired design/builder with TONS of stuff that might lend themselves to an appropriate front for you.

3. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

Something like this.

I want room on the door frames, so I can put up my two palm tree candle lights and a sign over the entrance.

The space is 12 foot across, but I don't know is that is measurement within the walls or it count the side walls. The wall is thick. There is a high beam going across on the front and I'm not sure exactly about the top portion.

Nothing fancy. Just something simple. As long I can fit in the rods for the entrance and windows for the curtains to close when I am not there.

I think its best to fit the store front in between the side walls and connect that way. Would have to come into the building in 2 or 3 pieces.

so... where is this? -M

5. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    so... where is this? -M
    Golden Goose flea market in MWC on NE 23rd and Douglas. There is one huge building divided in 3 or 4 huge sections. They recently got out of the northern section, closed off the pathway into there, and expanded the middle section and working on the other southern section. Mary's Swap Meet flea market moved into the northern section. Two flea markets. I'm in the area where the south doors within Golden Goose.

Thunder, I have no idea how to do graphics on here so all I can do is ask for some confirmations. First, I assume that the upper squares on the sides are open and that the lower portions are filled in with something like a panaling. Is that all correct. Would it be any advantage to you if there was actually a door in the door space or is a curtain totally sufficient for your purposes. Likewise, would glass in the upper portions be allowed or of any value. I'll have further questions when I get your response to this.

7. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

Yeah, open window. Don't want glass. I want to be able to put some things in the windows. I can get a rod with curtain to slide open/close. Lower portion, just wood. Something that I can easily nail whatever to it. Cheap wood is fine. lol I will go up there Monday to put things there and I will measure.

Will you have a theme song for your shop?

9. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Will you have a theme song for your shop?
    Old Time Rock 'n Roll? With a palm tree waving back 'n forth?

10. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

Actually, USG, how about just the two bottom panels. Forget the doorway and window stuff. 6 inch thick? Wooden paneling. I'll measure at the store how long. Send me PM on the price for wood and work.

Let's nail down the details first. It now sounds like you just want a couple of frames made of 1x6 oe 2x6 with something on the face. Just 2 squares sitting 3 or 4 feet apart to create a walk thru. If that is correct then I will have more questions. I sure wish I knew how you guys all make and put up your graphics as this would be simpler to get my points across, but let's see how we do. Holler back.

I want that palm tree. What's your bottom dollar? Highly interested and motivated buyer.

13. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

I dunno. I'm not a carpenter. lol Just thinking of different options. Fairly new over there. lol Something simple for now, but its hard to be really specific.

redrunner, 25 cents.

Old Time Rock 'n Roll? With a palm tree waving back 'n forth?
    How about "Almost Paradise" from the 80's

Will you be selling sea shells as well?

16. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

Will you be selling sea shells as well?
    That is a good idea. First I got a bunch of stuff that I wanted to get rid of, so I brought those up there.

17. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

Mom thinks I'm rushing. LOL!!! She came up to look at it yesterday and I was telling her what I am planning and she was like, "It look fine," and I told her that I want to fix it up no matter what she think. Then she was going on about, "What if you move to another booth?" Nah, I'm planning to stay there. Maybe in a few years I will either expand into next booth or relocate to bigger booth.

And then she asked if anyone bought anything. I said...no. Saturday was setting up, so was yesterday, then the blackout. I told her, no rush to sell, sell, sell. It is something that I want to do, sort of a hobby and enjoyment. Yeah, making some money is good, but is not the primary reason. Beside, if I was selling too fast, I wouldn't be able to keep up with the orders and shipping.

Flea market is not exclusively cheap. It may have been that way many years ago, but its sort of catching on for small businesses to select a flea market primarily for cheaper rent and customers traffic. There is this shoes I really like, black and blue, and its by Jordan with Nike. $75 and I showed mom. She was like shocked at the price and I said, well it is still cheaper than bigger retailers. They only have one and its my size. I'm hoping no one get it until I can.

Back to my store, I'm going to paint the white peg board into beige/tan color. Mom kept saying the white is fine. Uhh....no. I will paint it. Then I showed her other booths where people painted theirs. So, I will paint it soon. And I am wanting clear rope light all around where the tan meet the green. I have some outdoor Hawaiian lights, those lights that people use out on porch during Spring/Summer. I have 3 boxes that I planned to sell, but I am going to use them along the front under the high wood beam holding the two side walls.

I found a desk on CL for $15, but someone already picked it up. >_< It have a low shelf on top of the desk perfect for items placement. Now I have to keep searching for another similar to it.

Is it true that Michaels sell those hooks for peg board? I got a few from the office. Just not sure where to get them, since I never seen them sold in stores. I will make a post of that on CL.

Got most of the things out there. Still a lot ordered on the way. First I have many other things that I want to try get them gone (priced very low) before I fill in more and more of palm tree things.

As metro said, sea shells is a great idea. I got some bags of shells. I'm gonna try to find larger sea shells wholesale online. I will also sell some pre-arranged lucky bamboo plants in different pots. I have 3 sets of 11 movies featuring Jackie Chan (new, sealed package) that I grabbed on eBay for real cheap. I'm gonna pack them in baskets and add candies and popcorn. So, that is another idea, gift sets.

There was someone posting on CL asking where she can sell her gift baskets and other crafts. I sent her an email suggesting some places, but no response from that. Next day, I sent her an email offering her to use my booth, but no response from that either. I might offer something like $25/month to sell small amount of whatever is suitable for the store.

USG, I am going to put the store front on hold for now until I am completely sure on what I want. For now, I do want something made and it is simple. I want two set of the following >>> 1 foot wide, 4 foot long, and about 1 or 2 foot high. I can paint them. How much will that be? I will be having them in front of two tables. Just some extra space. :-)

A few comments, starting from the end and working back.

Before you sublet your space to the basket lady, make sure you have the right to do so under your own rental agreement. Otherwise you might be asked to leave. They might feel you would be dipping into their pockets a bit if you are subletting rather than them renting a space to her.

On your Chan baskets, maybe do not add candles? Maybe pick something else for an action movie basket.

On painting, if it looks ok, get some sales going before you paint your hobby/entertainment space. What if you decide on a new hobby next month?

$75 is silly for sneakers, but you won't be the first silly person to go that route.

Love yer momma and hug her every chance you get, lest you look up one day and only wish you can.

Luck to you laddie.

Tell me exactly where your space is and some times you will be there and I will try to come by and actually look at the situation sometime in the NEAR future.

20. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

Golden Goose flea market on southwest corner of NE 23rd and Douglas in MWC. The southern doors. Enter, go left, into another section, two aisles down, turn right, second booth.

Kevin, only agreement is to pay the rent. Nothing more. Just a short piece of paper is all I know.

But do you have some time frames cut out that you plan to be there so we can discuss the issue?
    I'm headed out to work so I will get your response later this afternoon.

22. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

Saturday and Sunday 9am to 6pm.

How about "Almost Paradise" from the 80's
    Wait--"Two Tickets to Paradise" and "Paradise City" also out there, and this is the one you went with? The cheesy love duet?

Saturday and Sunday 9am to 6pm.
    I'll try to catch you this weekend.

25. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by USG'60 View Post
    I'll try to catch you this weekend.
    I will have paper and pen handy. I can't find my tape measure under all the mess in my room. More packages arrived today.

Thread Information