Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Thunder's Shack

1. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

Actually, I already have a plan in mind. Continue with the set of windows. We will connect when ready and this will make the doorway wider. I can go to Lowes to create a piece for each side of door, kinda like a tall with flat top that I can place plants on to make the entrance look nice. Altho, the roof will be 2 feet wider, but I am sure we can easily add the width since the roof is the last piece to connect.

Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

I wish it were that easy, Thunder. Where things "tie" together is important. Inches can make a difference in HOW things are constructed. I will need to have 2 14' 2x4s and SURELY you dont want a 6' door, do you?

3. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

Okay. Whenever you are in the area, stop on by.

4. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

USG, I measured it and the storefront is actually around 12.5. :-)

Its the 14' for the depth. So, we should be good, just continue on with the plan.

I imagine that those are the INTERIOR dimensions, correct? And not the oncenter measurement of the 2 walls? Just making sure.

6. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

I measured from the end of the one wall to the end of the other wall. I believe the storefront you are working on can slide in between these walls. It should not be a problem. He offered to extend the wall, but with a doorway already there, I told him to leave it alone and that I will have you build me a fence instead. You'll see when I show you. :-)

Take some picts and post them and then we can discuss. Here or PM, doesn't matter.

8. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

I did take pix of my booth to show the painting done, but I guess all of that is no good. I will take the pix of the new booth and post on here. It has windows on one side with a cute doorway, so a lot of painting to do there. There is some pegboard fixtures in there for clothes, so I am going to find that guy and ask to buy these from him as I plan to sell Hawaiian shirts.

The guy that was originally in that booth decided to move to the section of the building where Golden Goose sold to whoever so it is now a "swap meet" similar to Mary's over there (flat space without booth appearance) for extremely low rental cost. Golden Goose expanded into another section, where I'm at now, and when all the booths is full, they are going to expand into another section of the building a little at a time. So, its like a period of a lot of changes.

There is two booths managed by someone for years, but they moved out, cuz they got their own store now.

I'm really interested in doing the web site for them and possibly become a business partner with them and hopefully it will all work out just great. I think this is a great investment since MWC and Choctaw is growing and more people will become more aware of Golden Goose. I'd say maybe 5 years the whole place will be just as popular as Old Paris.

USG, I have no experience with putting in tiles. I know Dollar General or Family Dollar has nice tiles. Do you know if they are the kind to peel and stick? I hope so, because I have never done it before. Even painting my booth was the first time I have ever painted on that scale and should gone with the rolling brush, but I had no clue how to pour in the paint into the holding tin. :-/

Don't buy any peel and stick tile til we can talk about it more. I don't have time at the moment. Later.

10. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by USG'60 View Post
    Don't buy any peel and stick tile til we can talk about it more. I don't have time at the moment. Later.
    Why? As soon they clear it out, I gotta hurry fix it up and move things over. I don't think I should do more on high-end tiles.

11. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

Here is some pix. The old man is removing the things slowly today.

Total booth space is 14' wide, but the actual inside booth is a perfect 12' wide in between the two walls measurement. The other 2' is "outside" on the side of the booth with a doorway. The man had a huge glass casing/shelves there. Anyway, I measured the side of the booth up to the electrical breaker and it gave me 4' to work with. So, I want a nice, cute picket fence extending 4' from the doorway and all the way to the back wall. The storefront USG is working on will be a good fit in between the walls.

Sorry that the pix is so white/bright. It will look a lot better when I start painting. This time I will be using the rollers. It will be a cute shack. Now I will need to get 5 curtains for the inside, 3 on the side and 2 on the front.

I was thinking about the roof. First set the plywoods on top. I was wondering if there is a way to create a roof with some sort of straws/hay?

The issue on the tile is that self-stick stuff can be a BITCH, Thunder. First, when you stick that first tile down your coarse is set; there is no adjusting and they are a terror to completely remove. Even trying to line them up on a chaulk line allows too much chance of error. Let me loan you an eight foot straight edge to get you started. Plus, those things come in some garish patterns and if you aren't used to thinking things through visually you could make a sad mistake. I recommend that to be on the safe side pick the most subdued thing you can, preferably something in natural tones. We can at least allude to a thatched roof fairly easily.

Before I address the other issues you brought up, I want to know a couple of things. This space in the pictures is in ADDITION to or is TAKING THE PLACE OF the one we planned. If this is in addition to the other is this the one you want the thatched roof on? Forgive my brain, man, I have brain rot due to old age.

13. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

I'm moving into there. The guy is still taking the things out. I dunno how to put in the tiles the hard way. Maybe I can just lay it down without actually making them stuck to the floor.

And they suggested no fence (they probably was thinking the fence be pointed), because of danger to kids may try to reach over and be slaughtered in the process.

Lad, you've no real reason to take my advice, but for your own sake, give heed to what USG'60 is telling you, and STAY AWAY from the tile for the time being.

The odds of your space having true squared corners and your floor actually having a level surface suitable for stick-on tiles are slim to none and slim's probably gone fishing.

I urge you not to rush into anything flooring related, stick-on or otherwise, unless you have a nice looking rug that you can just roll back up if you don't like the look.

Luck to you.

15. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

Okay. I'd really hate to move everything out just to apply new flooring. I have a rug, but I guess I will need a bigger one.

Just paint and seal the concrete for the floor. Maybe find an artist who could draw and paint on a nice design on top of the base color layer of the floor. Then if you ever want to change it just repaint and reseal.

I think Charlie has a good idea.

Ditto that. Thunder, are you still young enough to know any talented high school age artists? Back in the day, i had friends who loved to paint, were good at it too. Perhaps you know someone already who would like to do your floor for a workable price.

Thunder, I still need to know about the "Shack" space, the one we have planned. It is EXACTLY 12' 6" from wall to wall, is that correct?

20. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

Good idea, Charlie, but I'd like my store to be classy/elegant or whatever the proper term. It will look like high-end gift shop since I do not want to sell anything junk. It don't look like much now, but I promise that as I grow, there will be major improvements. It just take time without such "start-up business loan" to get going. I could do the floors at a later time, unless USG is willing to install tiles (possibly ceramic) for me.

I got a job for Golden Goose to do their web site and we will have a meeting set up to discuss the plans.

USG, it is about 12' in between the walls. A lil more if the store front will reach over (to cover) the ends of both walls. Come see me this Saturday and I will give you money for the gas and time. Total booth space is 14' which includes the side of booth and he offered to move out the wall, but I told him that a friend is already working on the storefront and to not alter the width.

OK. I had intended to go ahead and install it on Saturday but I figure I'd better come look at things at the new locations for myself. I will probably show up between 10 and 11. But I will holler at you one more time before then.

I appreciate the offer of gas money but you will need that money to keep going. I will accept money for any supplies that I have to buy but not until after it is anstalled and meets with your approval. And one more thing, painted floors are some of the "classiests" you can have. We'll discuss it more on Saturday.

Edit: Peek around here, thunder. http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...d+floors+ideas

22. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

Bring everything tomorrow to install. The new booth is ready and I had already painted. All I need to do is put up the palm tree wallpaper borders, so I need your help with that (never done it before). Come as early as you can before people start flowing in.

Sorry, man, I haven't bought the stuff yet as I need to double check after all the confusion. Also I won't be able to stay more than an hour as my wife has drafted me to help a friend of hers move tomorrow afternoon. We will make a plan for construction when I get there around 10. Sorry for the problem.

24. Default Re: Thunder's Paradise

You can meet me next week.

Well, hmm.... here's the deal. Regardless of when I come I am going to make 2 trips. On the first one I am going to personally measure the space and on the second I will bring every single piece of everything pre-cut so that all I have to do is screw it all together. Hey, real important.....find out what the rules are regarding fastening things to the concrete floor. And ....how early do you show up out there on Saturdays? Sundays?

Anyway, I better show up tomorrow for the measuring and HOPEfully get it installed NEXT weekend.

Thread Information