Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Johnnie's

Default Re: Johnnie's

Love me some theta sauce. Split T's was my favorite but Johnnie's is good in a pinch.

Blog Entries

OMG! Brings back so many memories of all the eateries, beginning with Big Ed's Burgers (multiple locations), Big Big Barbecue (50th Classen Circle now Jimmy's Egg), Vern Echol's Patio Grill--charcoal burgers, onion rings and potato salad,

The Split-T, Del Rancho (multiple locations), Beverly's Chicken in the Rough and Herman's Seafoods you could smell these places within a block of destination.

Also on the eat side Grady's Hamburgers (N. 8th & Kelly Avenue), Buter's BBQ and the old Ice Dock, had the coldest varieties of soda pop in the city, the area is now part of OU Health Science Center complex.

https://kfor.com/news/local/iconic-j...nal-locations/
    Johnnie's announced a new concept "Johnnie's Kitchen & Bar." Will be the same menu with a full service bar. Locations are going in at the old Pauline's location in Yukon and the old Johnnie's location on I-240

^

3rd rebrand of the Pauline's location in just the last several years.

Wasn't this pretty much the original concept at that location?

I never went into that location before Pauline's so I'm not sure. This makes it seem like they are trying to go head to head with the Garage.

6. Default Re: Johnnie's

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

3rd rebrand of the Pauline's location in just the last several years.

Wasn't this pretty much the original concept at that location?
    Pretty much. Pauline's had some added home cooking type things that I assume are going away and it will be just the Johnnie's menu.

Good example of food inflation at Johnnies: one caesar burger, two chef salad, one large onion rings, one ice tea = over $45 all in......and I noticed the menu charges you for anything extra (extra salad dressing, etc.).

Sounds like another Urban Johnnie without the atmosphere.

I don't know what they are thinking to be honest.

The original Johnnie's Sports Bar lasted about a year, then Pauline's, so now they are going back to the sports bar?

I gave Pauline's a chance. Twice. Over $50 for two people for mediocre food.

I never cared for Johnnie's either. The Haynes family seems like decent people. They have good promos on tje Sports Animal, but the food isn't for me.

10. Default Re: Johnnie's

Just my opinion on both of these.

Johnnie's Sports Bar was not a very good location. I love Johnnie's and we go often. Have since they were a tiny store on Britton nearer Western. But the Sports Bar location sucked. I can't really put my finger on why but I went a couple times and didn't go back. And that was because of where it was.

Pauline's was an odd concept. Johnnie's full menu plus home cooked style items plus a bar. Odd combination. Are you a sports bar or a diner?

Even Johnnie's Lounge isn't a normal bar. I'll see what 240 and Yukon look like and if they're truly a Johnnie's with a bar I'll start pushing as much as I can, which isn't much, to change Britton.

11. Default Re: Johnnie's

I've been listening to live spots from the Yukon Johnnie's Restaurant and Bar which opens tomorrow. It's a little different than what I had heard before. It will have to regular Johnnie's menu, much of the Pauline's menu plus bar food like nachos, steak fingers, queso, fried pickles, etc. And a number of beers on tap. And pool tables. Sounds worth trying.

i just saw it out of the corner of my eye this past monday, so i don't have a ton of details... but the johnnie's at i-240 and walker seems to be re-opening with a new concept. they have a "now hiring" sign out front.

edit:
    looks like they have a facebook page up:
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61554422684557

Is the Express location on N May closed? Drove by today and it looked like a ghost town.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Is the Express location on N May closed? Drove by today and it looked like a ghost town.
    Looks like it's closed. It's no longer listed on their website.

Yes. There was a social media post several days ago. I think it was in the restaurant closings thread.

I went to the soft opening yesterday at the I240 and Walker location. It was very good. Have some of Paulines menu items like fried chicken, meat loaf, and catfish on it. They have a huge bar with plenty of tv's and a pool table. Opens to the public today.

Press release:

Johnnie’s Kitchen & Bar Concept Expands to South I-240, Bringing Retro Sports Bar Vibes to Oklahoma City
    Community-driven Rebranding Leads to New Family-Friendly Venue with Enhanced Dining Experience

Oklahoma City, OK (April 18, 2024) – In celebration of its 40-year legacy at the South I-240 location, Johnnie’s Kitchen & Bar proudly announces the grand reopening of its Oklahoma City site. This milestone marks a renewed commitment to the community, introducing a refreshed, family-friendly sports bar environment that merges nostalgic charm with modern dining innovations.

Johnnie’s Charcoal Broiler, a name synonymous with quality and community spirit in Oklahoma, has revitalized its OKC site located at 421 W I-240 Service Road. Closed for over a year, the newly reopened restaurant now features a substantial bar, extensive seating, and family-friendly gaming areas, including pool tables and darts. The decision to renovate and reopen comes in direct response to significant customer demand for Johnnie’s unique blend of casual dining and community-focused entertainment.

“The outpouring of support from our loyal customers was the key motivator behind this ambitious project,” said Jana Haynes, co-owner of Johnnie’s Kitchen & Bar. “Our patrons wanted a place that wasn’t just about great food, but also about spending quality time with family and friends. We’ve listened and delivered a venue that honors that tradition.”

The revamped location now features a vintage sports theme, adorned with memorabilia, some sourced from local museums, creating a nostalgic yet refreshing dining atmosphere. The menu offers the beloved Johnnie’s favorites, enhanced by new bar-centric additions perfect for happy hour gatherings or family dinners.

In addition to classic features, the venue introduces "The Locker Room," a new private space available for reservation, ideal for parties, gatherings, or watching sporting events in an exclusive setting. This area adds a layer of privacy and exclusivity, enhancing the customer experience.

"Reopening the South I-240 location represents a significant step in our commitment to serving the Oklahoma City community," added Haynes. "We've taken the successful elements from our Yukon location, doubled the bar size, and tailored the environment to ensure it caters to families and sports fans alike. We're excited to reintroduce this enhanced concept to our South OKC patrons."

Johnnie’s Kitchen & Bar opened its doors Thursday, April 11 quickly garnering five-star reviews and reaffirming its position as a community favorite for more than half a century.

can confirm that they're open... i happened to drive by on tuesday around noon and based on the parking lot they were fairly busy.

Thread Information