Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Johnnie's

Default Re: Johnnie's

Quote Originally Posted by jennydahl View Post
    If you're partial to food from the Johnnie's on Britton Rd., better get in there before they close Sunday evening. They're going to renovate that location starting Monday, September 23, hoping to reopen in conjunction with the completion of the boondoggle road construction on Britton Rd. between May and Penn, planned for November. Nobody's actually given us Village folk a year to go with that month - everyone's assuming 2019 - but I can only pray.
    They putting in a bar?

2. Default Re: Johnnie's

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    They putting in a bar?
    Ricky Haines was on the Sports Animal yesterday and hinted that Britton reopening will include a sports bar.

Noticed the location in Mid Del area on 29th closed. Don't think it made it a year. The location in West Edmond on Danforth I believe closed a couple months ago as well. Never thought I'd see a day where a Johnnies would close.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishman23 View Post
    Noticed the location in Mid Del area on 29th closed. Don't think it made it a year. The location in West Edmond on Danforth I believe closed a couple months ago as well. Never thought I'd see a day where a Johnnies would close.
    jonnies opened in late 2018 in MWC the norman express location closed last year

I paid my first visit to any Johnnie's in probably a year last week. I was stunned.

Big signs saying "we don't offer pink sweetener anymore." "Sides of ranch are 33 cents." Mints are a nickel each. The place reeked of a nickle-and-dime-you-to-death pricing model. My chicken sandwich was small and unremarkable.

I realize it's a burger place, but man, the tenor of the place just oozes "we're hemorrhaging money." And, frankly, there are better options out there right now.

6. Default Re: Johnnie's

I remember when going to Johnnie's was an indulgent treat all the way back in junior high. A #9 and sharing some onion rings.

I think the problem is Johnnies just hasn't changed with the times. There were far fewer options years ago. Not anymore. It's more of my grandfather's burger place now. It's not even a consideration for us in years.

7. Default Re: Johnnie's

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I remember when going to Johnnie's was an indulgent treat all the way back in junior high. A #9 and sharing some onion rings.

I think the problem is Johnnies just hasn't changed with the times. There were far fewer options years ago. Not anymore. It's more of my grandfather's burger place now. It's not even a consideration for us in years.
    I think you're right. Another thing is lack of marketing, modern decor updated food. Taking away condiments and nickel and diming isn't going to win any new customers. There's one or two things of personal nature that may be affecting the business.

The Urban Johnnies concept was their attempt to change with times. I liked it alot, but it was just in a weird location. Put that up in Edmond/N. OKC and I think they would have more success.

Quote Originally Posted by AMinEdmond View Post
    The Urban Johnnies concept was their attempt to change with times. I liked it alot, but it was just in a weird location. Put that up in Edmond/N. OKC and I think they would have more success.
    Agreed. The Garage around town and in Edmond, for example, just kills it daily. I really liked he Urban Johnnies concept as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AMinEdmond View Post
    the issue Urban johnnies had was that when they opened they tried to charge a premium price for mostly the same jonnies food unlike the garage that has the same price in midtown as in does in the burbs the burger at UJ was much more expensive than the normal jonnies locations ..

also they had very very expensive drink and beer prices and no special or HH eventually they changed the drink prices so you could go there and watch an entire game without breaking the bank but by that time they had already pushed away all of the local residents ... unlike Deep Deuce which kills in just down the street

Permanently switch to the Johnnie's Express model and replace half of the Sonics, please and thank you.

I never even consider Johnnies now that The Garage has moved into OKC. IMO, The Garage is usually a far better experience in food quality, menu selection, price, and service.

Quote Originally Posted by Executionist View Post
    I never even consider Johnnies now that The Garage has moved into OKC. IMO, The Garage is usually a far better experience in food quality, menu selection, price, and service.
    Gotta agree. The consistency and quality at The Garage is really impressive, always hot, good service... Johnnie's just seems to be struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Gotta agree. The consistency and quality at The Garage is really impressive, always hot, good service... Johnnie's just seems to be struggling.
    Funny, I feel the opposite. I go to The Garage at May & Britton and think I paid too much for a salty greaseburger, lame fries and just okay adult beverages. While dining surrounded by families with 9 year olds killing the cola machine and the bar filled with 5 hour a visit stool birds.

15. Default Re: Johnnie's

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Funny, I feel the opposite. I go to The Garage at May & Britton and think I paid too much for a salty greaseburger, lame fries and just okay adult beverages. While dining surrounded by families with 9 year olds killing the cola machine and the bar filled with 5 hour a visit stool birds.
    I'm right there with you. I gave away my Garage Sweet Deals 50% off because we just can't bring ourselves to eat there anymore. The burgers are WAY too salty for us. I'm speaking of the Edmond location since that's the only one we patronized.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Have never been to that location, so I can't really say much constructive about it. I just know the location on I-240 has served us consistently well.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Have never been to that location, so I can't really say much constructive about it. I just know the location on I-240 has served us consistently well.
    I will admit that Johnnie's does things that appear to be just dumb. The nickel and diming about condiments are a prime example.

As a long time small business owner, I can say it is easy to get sucked into the victim mentality; that "I am a great, benevolent operator in my industry in OKC, and them evil bastards are working against me and trying to run me out of the business. I have to protect my business and the families that depend on the income I provide them by adding these rules and fully reasonable surcharges that nobody else in our industry is smart, or courageous, enough to implement." It can be difficult to find people that will tell me to get over myself, whose opinion I trust. They are almost always right.

I hope, and believe, that the Johnnie's family have the counselors and customer base required to keep them healthy and happy.

The Midwest City location was a bad location from the get go. It had a tiny parking lot. Access to the drive thru was terrible and the traffic flow passes right by it. This is why multiple gas station convenience stores opened and failed over the years. If they had just waited a few more months Enterprise would have vacated their spot and they could have taken that location. Swadleys will do well there as it will allow more customers and better access.

I ate at the Johnnie's on Britton for the first time in a long time the other day. They have really stepped up their game. The staff was welcoming, the backroom and dining areas looked super clean, and the burgers were outstanding. It also looks like they did a 100% remodel of the whole place. Super, super impressed.

20. Default Re: Johnnie's

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    I ate at the Johnnie's on Britton for the first time in a long time the other day. They have really stepped up their game. The staff was welcoming, the backroom and dining areas looked super clean, and the burgers were outstanding. It also looks like they did a 100% remodel of the whole place. Super, super impressed.
    They did do a complete update when they added the bar area. I'm pretty sure they used the destruction of Britton Rd to time the update when customers had a hard time getting to the building. On my list if places to get back to when we go out again. And I need to say hi to Rick. I graduated from NWC with him.

Johnnie's finally got noticed amongst all of the onion burger joints in El Reno.

You been to Pauline's? Prime steakhouse prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Johnnie's finally got noticed amongst all of the onion burger joints in El Reno.

I loved the episode, but was a little confused about the inclusion of Johnnie's. But if it's good enough for George Motz, I guess it's good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I loved the episode, but was a little confused about the inclusion of Johnnie's. But if it's good enough for George Motz, I guess it's good enough.
    The Johnnie's inclusion is due to how they continue to keep the Hickory Sauce legacy alive; there's quite a history behind that sauce and how it's traveled and evolved (slightly) over the years. History like that is absolutely George Motz's thing. Here's an old article from the Oklahoman that goes in-depth on hickory sauce's legacy: https://www.oklahoman.com/story/ente...d/60532743007/

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    The Johnnie's inclusion is due to how they continue to keep the Hickory Sauce legacy alive; there's quite a history behind that sauce and how it's traveled and evolved (slightly) over the years. History like that is absolutely George Motz's thing. Here's an old article from the Oklahoman that goes in-depth on hickory sauce's legacy: https://www.oklahoman.com/story/ente...d/60532743007/
    Agreed. My confusion was resolved by the end of the episode. I never knew the legacy of that sauce, and was surprised by the story.

Thread Information