Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 60 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131459 ... LastLast

Thread: Uptown / 23rd District

Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

https://twitter.com/#!/Uptown23rd is excited to announce we are partnering with #The Big Event and students from #OU to cleanup the District on April 14th,

Guernsey Park is a new restaurant coming to 23rd, right behind Cuppies and Joe. I took pics today and emailed to Pete to post soon.

Here's the photo:

I think it may just be too secluded, that space makes more sense for office as planned (or residential, even better). Or perhaps this is a venture directly from Mike Tharasena, which would make sense for branding that little court along Guernsey "Avenue" (which is really more of a back alley behind Shartel).

What kind of food will it have? Has anyone been to Bubbas?

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    No clue re Guernsey Park. Bubba's be good in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I think it may just be too secluded, that space makes more sense for office as planned (or residential, even better). Or perhaps this is a venture directly from Mike Tharasena, which would make sense for branding that little court along Guernsey "Avenue" (which is really more of a back alley behind Shartel).
    The same was said of NW9th street downtown originally, now look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    Yes, there are reviews in the food section.

Surprised that this was approved by the city. Not sure how the parking requirements were met.

There is parking to the east, in the mid-block "court," and parallel spots along 23rd and Guernsey. Either they got creative or it was a fortunate oversight on the part of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Surprised that this was approved by the city. Not sure how the parking requirements were met.
    The Urban Design Overlay does not require minimum parking on NW 23rd between Broadway and Classen.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Projects like this in Uptown don't need much parking to be successful, this can be considered a neighborhood restaurant, as there are many residences in the immediate area. A lot of times when I eat at Big Trucks, Tucker's etc... I see a lot of people walking to the restaurants from nearby neighborhoods.

also, does anyone one know about the renovations going, on the building across the street to the west of Tucker's on the corner of 23rd and N. Hudson? I noticed it not too long ago, while eating at Tucker's. Looks like its going to be an office?

Just thought about this but Classen Tower is probably the only upscale urban living in Oklahoma City where you can live without a car, all these are within reasonable walking distance, if not just across the street:

Job: American Fidelity
    Grocery Store: Homeland
    Bank: JP Morgan Chase
    Pharmacy: Walgreens
    Elementary School: Dove Science Academy
    Church: First Presbyterian Church
    Restaurants: Numerous from Asian Cuisines, to American Grill, to Bakery
    Misc: T-Mobile, Salon/Barber Shop
    Nightlife: Kamp's

all these amenities are within 3 blocks, WOW!!!

I hope the new Latin restaurant does well, but for me the Gold Dome location isn't ideal for a restaurant as long as it is being used for other "special events". Dining at the prohibition room was always awkward for me because each time I was there "special events" were being held in the lobby / entry area.

I wonder if they've fixed the sewage smell in Gold Dome -- always an olfactory enhancement to fine dining.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Just thought about this but Classen Tower is probably the only upscale urban living in Oklahoma City where you can live without a car, all these are within reasonable walking distance, if not just across the street:

and if you have a cat or dog, you can even throw in a veterinary...lol

Blog Entries

As a resident of the Classen, I often reference these things as selling points to the place, but change elementary school (where my kids went) to Wilson (.6 miles away) and Middle/High School to Classen SAS (where one of my kids goes). Also, don't forget about car care with both Valvoline and AutoZone just around the corner (so you can drop the car off and walk home and back -- I know the post was about not needing a car, but still), and entertainment in the form of dancing, which happens at the Gold Dome and Macia's. Places like Cuppies are a manageable walk away, and the kids and I walk to the Paseo for events, such as the arts festival (I think it's about a mile, so a leisurely 20 minute walk). Yes, there's the vet, too, but I don't have pets. Lastly there's Mesta Park, less than a 10 minute walk away with a playground, open space, and volleyball courts. Really a walk to Memorial Park for tennis/basketball courts and other things wouldn't be too bad (but we have a tennis and basketball court here), closer than Paseo. There really is just a TON of stuff within an easy walk if you start looking at all the businesses on Classen and 23rd.

If only I could get a job at AF and if only the streetcar came up here so I could get to downtown (without using a car or bike) I'd be completely set. My daughter that goes to Classen plans to attend ACM in Bricktown, so the streetcar would also help get her from home to college if it came up here (though if she ends up at OCU instead then it's an easy walk)...

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post

19. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I hope the new Latin restaurant does well, but for me the Gold Dome location isn't ideal for a restaurant as long as it is being used for other "special events". Dining at the prohibition room was always awkward for me because each time I was there "special events" were being held in the lobby / entry area.
    I think they were discussing putting in an outside entrand to the restaurant with the owner. that would help.

I was walking by the under-construction Grandad's bar at 317 NW 23rd and saw that it is coming along nicely. Here's more info for anyone interested in helping it get open sooner, rather than later.

Huge landscaping improvements being made at 23rd and 235, west side of interstate.

22. Uptown/23rd Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Owner of Grandad's used to work with me. Great guy. I think it'll be a great local bar.

2 story mcdonalds coming to this address 2101 NW 23RD ST, OKLAHOMA CITY, OK 73107 per the next urban design meeting

If there is anything the city needs, it's a dbl decker house for its dbl decker 1/4 pounders. I guess they draw a big lunch crowd or something. If I'm eating on that corner, it's the Mazzio just north of them. Their 10:30 start time works well with the work schedule for a friend of mine if I'm in town in the am. We can early lunch and get gone before most even think of showing up

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    2 story mcdonalds coming to this address 2101 NW 23RD ST, OKLAHOMA CITY, OK 73107 per the next urban design meeting
    That's replacing the one at Penn. Interesting.

I guess they had might as well since the old car was taken off the site...

Thread Information