Widgets Magazine
Page 53 of 60 FirstFirst ... 34849505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1486

Thread: Uptown / 23rd District

Default Re: Uptown / 23rd District

There is a large sign with a bank logo that reads "project funded by" in the empty lot directly north of Pump Bar on Walker. Perhaps I've missed it, but what exactly is the project?

Quote Originally Posted by benjico View Post
    There is a large sign with a bank logo that reads "project funded by" in the empty lot directly north of Pump Bar on Walker. Perhaps I've missed it, but what exactly is the project?
    Marva Ellard owns most, of not all of that square block. I believe the project is housing, maybe Pete can shine some light on it.

Nothing is happening on the vacant lots that Marva owns. The funding sign is for the housing just west on 24th.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    Nothing is happening on the vacant lots that Marva owns. The funding sign is for the housing just west on 24th.
    The sign was put on someone else's property?

^

Marva owns all that property. The boarded-up 4-plex is about to get a renovation which is probably the reason for the sign.

Work has started on the 4- soon-to-be 6-plex just north of The Pump:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01A5D4C5-29C1-44FA-A69C-60229DB40DDE.jpeg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	15290Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5D831749-FE44-44A7-B119-F6DB12CB1EBF.jpeg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	15291
    Don’t know if this has been talked about or not but steel is going up for Cajun Corner on 23rd between Hudson and Harvey. Any more info on this Pete?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F6352B9E-46FA-4D0F-B705-2FDB31CFD3CF.jpeg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	15289  

Ha! I took this on Sunday.

They are moving fast and hope to be open late this year.

It looks like a new mixed use retail/housing proposal is going in front of the urban design commission on on 6/26. 1732 NW 23rd. Across from OCU at the intersection of 23rd and Florida.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A36900AF-AF0E-497E-AC7D-D9536A3A3EF1.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	15345

^

The reason I didn't post that is because the same lady had proposed at least 3 iterations of something similar starting 3-4 years ago. I've talked to her a couple of times.

Hope this finally moves forward. It's an empty lot.

The Sonic building on 23rd and Penn has finally been razed.

Sonic:

Just noticed that a Wing Stop is nearing completion next to Billy Sims on 23rd just west of Penn. I live nearby and this is great news and also scary news for my health.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Sonic:

Is there a plan for this site? Sorry if there’s been recent discussion around this.

Quote Originally Posted by tokyokie View Post
    Is there a plan for this site? Sorry if there’s been recent discussion around this.
    Yes, will be a redesigned Sonic:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Work has started on the 4- soon-to-be 6-plex just north of The Pump:

Slightly off-topic but I always wondered: were all these big, old houses originally built as single-family homes? (Including the ones south of 23rd too.)

Multi-family dwellings were frequently built right alongside single-family homes in (what are now) the older neighborhoods. There are quite a few of them in Mesta Park and Heritage Hills (addressing your question about south of 23rd). Some duplexes have been converted to single homes over the years, but I'm not aware of any large single homes becoming multi-family units (although there may be some out there I just don't know about).

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Multi-family dwellings were frequently built right alongside single-family homes in (what are now) the older neighborhoods. There are quite a few of them in Mesta Park and Heritage Hills (addressing your question about south of 23rd). Some duplexes have been converted to single homes over the years, but I'm not aware of any large single homes becoming multi-family units (although there may be some out there I just don't know about).
    This direction would be more difficult due to Zoning Laws

19. Default Re: Uptown / 23rd District

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Many large homes in Mesta were converted to multi-family in the 40's-70's, and have subsequently gone back the other direction. Occasionally you see some weird-ass floor plans resulting from this legacy.

4-plex north of the Pump

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    Many large homes in Mesta were converted to multi-family in the 40's-70's, and have subsequently gone back the other direction. Occasionally you see some weird-ass floor plans resulting from this legacy.
    I lived in the upper floor of a two story house on the NW corner of 18th and Francis in the 1990s. It was literally split in two with the addition of a separate staircase and entrance. The guy who owned the house treated it like a duplex and doubled his rent income. Great house, but no driveway, but rent was super cheap. I think it's still two units.

New Starbucks planned for Uptown 23rd Street corridor

A long-vacant lot at a key intersection in the Uptown District is set for new development.

A new Starbucks with a drive-thru is planned for the southeast corner of NW 23rd and Robinson.

The entire intersection is seeing a renaissance as the properties on the northwest corner have been recently fully renovated into office space and work is well underway to revive properties on either side of the venerable Blue Note on the northeast corner.

The proposed coffee shop will have an outdoor patio and extensive landscaping.

The project will be considered for approval at the December 18th meeting of the Urban Design Commission.

That’s a lot of parking for a Starbucks.

Complaining about lack of parking one day and too much the next hah

It is a lot of parking but have you seen the Starbucks in NH Plaza? You can barely get in and out of there for a good chunk of the day.

These places are popular and there is tons of traffic along 23rd.

Will be nice for people in Jeff Park and Mesta Park to walk over, though.

It looks like a nice, long queue for cars at the drive-through. That will help.

Thread Information