Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst 12345678954 ... LastLast

Thread: Uptown / 23rd District

Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Greg Banta DID NOT sign the lease with Subway for the Plaza Court; it was signed by the prior owners, R.D. and Scott Smith, prior to the sale of the property to Banta (and partners Bob Howard and Mickey Clagg).
    Greg Banta wasn't perfect, but it is a terrible lie to rob him of the credit he deserves for creating the local mix we see today (McNellie's, Irma's, Prairie Thunder, bridal shop, YMCA).
    Mcnellies was also the former owners

Re: Tucker's Onion Burger

I just hope they use the same pretzel buns as RePUBlic. I have RePUBlic burger cravings because of the pretzel bun and even picked up some at the C store. Can't wait.

If I go, can I request they donate my onions to charity instead of putting them on my burger?

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post

and did Wildflower move to the Plaza District?
    Yes Wildflower opened in the Plaza District in February

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    To the skeptics, here's my question: Has Good Egg ever opened a "bad" concept? To my knowledge they don't have any bad concepts (just 1 bad former location in Norman).
    Market C was pretty lame.

Quote Originally Posted by wschnitt View Post
    Market C was pretty lame.
    You're crazy, it as very popular and unfortunate they needed the space for catering

Quote Originally Posted by ouguy23 View Post
    I will say though i miss Iron Starr in Norman. It was really good.
    I still can't believe that didn't work in that location. Is Norman now forever blacklisted by the Good Egg Group?

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I still can't believe that didn't work in that location. Is Norman now forever blacklisted by the Good Egg Group?
    Unfortunately I'm not surprised, I saw that one coming. Wayyyyyyy to big of a space, higher price point than many on CC and sit down service. Not a good combo on game day. I love Good Egg, but I went once on game day and it was not busy and very slow on the food. I'm excited for Tucker's as well as Iron Starr in the OKC arena, although I worry about that type of concert there too. I think quick service is the way to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    You're crazy, it as very popular and unfortunate they needed the space for catering
    If it were so popular and so profitable, they would have found another space for catering.

I was in there right before they announced it was closing and they hardly had any food for sale and so one was in there complaining about that fact.

I biked past there just now and noticed a sigh saying "1907 bar coming soon" in one of the windows a few stores west of the Tower Theater.

Exciting.

I hope the Palmas/new Good Egg burger shack gets landscaped like Cheevers, otherwise it will continue to look like a gas station.

We just couldn't figure Norman out. I am happiest pitching my tent anywhere between Downtown OKC to NW 63rd. To answer you question: I haven't been back to Norman since the closing.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    We just couldn't figure Norman out. I am happiest pitching my tent anywhere between Downtown OKC to NW 63rd. To answer you question: I haven't been back to Norman since the closing.
    Tuck, I am assuming you work for Good Egg.

If yes, I have 2 questions.
    Why did Market C close?
    Do you plan to landscape Palmas beautifully and make outdoor seating?

Thank you, I love Cheevers!!

Tuck's the owner of Good Egg

Quote Originally Posted by wschnitt View Post
    Tuck, I am assuming you work for Good Egg.

If yes, I have 2 questions.
    Why did Market C close?
    Do you plan to landscape Palmas beautifully and make outdoor seating?

Thank you, I love Cheevers!!
    1. Market-C and Cheever's Catering shared the space. The catering business has done very well and needed more space; we expected this to happen. Market-C held it's own, but the catering biz is much more profitable. They have more than doubled their space and we also added offices. Stop by sometime.

2. Tucker's will have wonderful landscaping, bith street side and near the building.

Thanks for all of your support!

So what's the possibility of opening up a similar concept to Market-C again somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    Thanks. I do think a Cheevers-type place would've been more successful in Norman. But still surprises to see a BBQ restaurant not make it. It will be interesting to see how Blackbird Gastropub does in that same space.

Thanks. I do think a Cheevers-type place would've been more successful in Norman. But still surprises to see a BBQ restaurant not make it. It will be interesting to see how Blackbird Gastropub does in that same space.
    Cheevers wouldn't have made it either, now Republic would though.

FYI, theyve been ramping up construction on Mutts Amazing hotdogs lately

Went to Blackbird last night. Great service and food and the place was packed. There was a 30 minute wait for dinner. They've made the place a little fancier so it is definitely upscale. Nice place. I was sad to see Iron Starr go, but this is a great replacement.

I was biking down 23rd yesterday and I really wish that damn Liquidation, "Going out of Business" place on the northwest corner of Walker and 23rd would just go out of business already. Having dirty toilets and filthy nursing home mattresses in the windows makes the entire area look so bad.

Second point, beauty supply stores are really 'hood. Closed and abandon beauty supply stores are even more 'hood. For example, Queens Beauty Supply has an old store just west of their current store, both also drive the overall quality of the area down.

I hope soon that the area become profitable for businesses starting up on 23rd and business begins to prosper. And as a result the landlords get the charge more for rent as open space becomes rarer and rarer. Thus driving out ghetto stores like the "Going out of Business" Liquidation Center as the rent becomes too high.

I could see someone disagreeing strongly with this, but I welcome discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Went to Blackbird last night. Great service and food and the place was packed. There was a 30 minute wait for dinner. They've made the place a little fancier so it is definitely upscale. Nice place. I was sad to see Iron Starr go, but this is a great replacement.
    What does that have to do with NW23rd?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    What does that have to do with NW23rd?
    Metro, we were talking about Good Egg restaurants.........with tuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Metro, we were talking about Good Egg restaurants.........with tuck.
    Sounded like he was talking about Blackbirds on Campus Corner in Norman to me.

Seriously, why do this?

I guess it's my fault. I first said that there hasn't been a bad Good Egg restaurant yet, in OKC that is. Then someone thought it was interesting to mention that the replacement restaurant in Campus Corner, not Good Egg related, is doing well. I thought it was an interesting observation myself and I am glad it was contributed to this thread even if it broke the metro code of posting.

I'd like to personally apologize. I hope you are able to continue on with your life. The tragedy.

Metro's effort to police this forum killed an enjoyable conversation we were having and I am a bit annoyed.

Thread Information