Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 123456752 ... LastLast

Thread: Uptown / 23rd District

Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

If anyone knows someone with a little Hotel management knowledge, something like this would be very cool in Uptown or in the Paseo and Plaza districts.

http://www.verdecamp.com/

It's in Austin Tx, small 1 and 2 bed homes clustered together much like the Therasena properties, all managed like a boutique hotel or bed & breakfast. These are for nightly rental rates and rates average around $200.00 per night.

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    After the skinny building behind the parking lot, and house they own behind that are done, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tharasena expand outward if the opportunity presents itself. The "travel agency" on the NE corner of 23rd and Shartel is underutilized, as is the hippy store 2 buildings north. Both would be logical additions to his parcel.

Previously he had also tried to acquire the Church's chicken building, or so he told me one time. Would be nice if he could take that over. Also, there are a bunch of underutilized buildings, including a few more cottages across the street. Sounds like he's caught the urban bug, hopefully he has the money and desire to expand his empire.
    Man, that hippy store on Shartel is awesome though.

wsucougz, Therasena already owns a bunch of properties in the inner city, this is the only redevelopment he's done I'm aware of.

metro....Good pics of Uptown, this area really has so much potential and yet has so so far to go.

Thanks for the photos Metro!

That bar under the green awnings says "1907 Bar". There is already something by the same name at the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    The Old Downtown Guy, right? I met him for lunch at McNellie's a few years ago (like 06 or 07, back when Ok-Met was going strong), he was cool. Surprising that such an inner city guy would move up to Wilshire..
    Yep, I met him one time when I brought some Fat Tire up for him when we came up for an OU-Tech game. We knew some of the same people from my Benham days.

7. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Trivia time: what cafeteria was once housed in the building Metro photographed?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Trivia time: what cafeteria was once housed in the building Metro photographed?
    I believe it was O'Meallys? If not, then I say Adair's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Thanks for the photos Metro!

That bar under the green awnings says "1907 Bar". There is already something by the same name at the airport.
    Pre-existing names don't seem to bother some, Oklahoma Station (BBQ) was around long before the place in the airport opened (no connection).

I would be interested to see if someone can make that space under the green awning nice.

Unhappy Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Spartan, Are you saying the Weave place is not a quality establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Pre-existing names don't seem to bother some, Oklahoma Station (BBQ) was around long before the place in the airport opened (no connection).
    Airport BBQ is The Salt Lick BBQ, not Oklahoma Station.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I would be interested to see if someone can make that space under the green awning nice.
    Surely they're going to renovate the facade as well. I'm not sure you can dignify the description of that green thing with the term "awning".

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    Spartan, Are you saying the Weave place is not a quality establishment.
    No, not at all! I actually think it could make a great urban Chuck E. Cheese location (and I mean "urban"). 1907 is probably just the bar portion...

Keep in mind the green "awning" is just plywood the Asian market that used to be there put up. I'm sure they will either restore the original or install a new piece reminiscient of the time period.

Do we have any other details about this bar?

It may be a hole in the wall type bar with no real improvements being made.

That's what I'm thinking. Metro, anything on the twitter front?

I haven't been able to find anything about this new bar and the sign says opening in April, which leads me to believe not much work is going into the place.

But at least you can stop for a beer after getting your weave!

Get you some pre-weave petrone while you're at it...

Another side note about Uptown 23.

I am a little ashamed to admit this but I stopped in the McD's at 23rd and 235, found out that one needs to be buzzed in and out of their restrooms by the management.

That is the sign of a Big League City!

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    Another side note about Uptown 23.

I am a little ashamed to admit this but I stopped in the McD's at 23rd and 235, found out that one needs to be buzzed in and out of their restrooms by the management.

That is the sign of a Big League City!
    Wow, that doesn't even happen at the McD's on 59th..schiza

I remember looking at a house near there on 21st a few years ago and there seemed to be a lot of homeless along that stretch of 23rd near Broadway.

I suspect Byron's might be a big draw.

23. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

When I lived in Detroit, there was a McDonalds with full length bullet-proof glass across the counter. You had to talk into a speaker, slide your money into a tray, and go to the end of the counter to get your food out of a drawer. I was impressed!

When I lived in Atlanta during the Olympics, most places had their bathrooms coin-op either by getting a token when you paid for something, or had to pay with quarters. It kept the riff-raff out though. Most big cities, this is fairly common. I've seen some in San Fran like this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    I remember looking at a house near there on 21st a few years ago and there seemed to be a lot of homeless along that stretch of 23rd near Broadway.

I suspect Byron's might be a big draw.
    The housing is pretty much nice anymore. It's J-Park, a highly desired area. Byrons is a big draw, as it it is a huge corridor for traffic, thus begging... Ironically, I was at this intersection yesterday afternoon and their was a teenager hawking self drawn portraits of Justin Beiber on the corner. Now we are big league city, we just need window washers in the streets and people selling roses individually on street corners and we've arrived in the big leagues.

Thread Information