Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 60 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Uptown / 23rd District

Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Weird that I still consider it to be a "new" McDonald's as it relocated from mid block in front of Shepherd Mall, down to the corner (the older building is still standing)...this relocated one opened up with a retro styling and even had car hop service at one point.

The people that owned the McDonalds when the car was there sold it about 10 years ago. The new owners are wanting to change it from the car hop retro style that the original owners designed.

Tower Theater had a building permit issued some time ago but nobody has reported any signs of activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Tower Theater had a building permit issued some time ago but nobody has reported any signs of activity.
    Largely true. Half a wall came out.

If indeed the Deep Fork Group is the one developing the Tower into a restaurant, I'm not at all shocked it's not moving forward.

Application today to expand and add a deck to the Blue Note at 2408 N. Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Application today to expand and add a deck to the Blue Note at 2408 N. Robinson.
    They already have that deck in the back. I've never seen people out there though...

Working on the Tower Sign today.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    2 story mcdonalds coming to this address 2101 NW 23RD ST, OKLAHOMA CITY, OK 73107 per the next urban design meeting
    http://newsok.com/double-decker-mcdo...rticle/3682758

I walked up and down 23rd yesterday and here are some updates:

Absolutely nothing happening at Tower Theater. We know there was a building permit issued some time ago and took that as a very positive sign, but I looked in and walked all the way around and you can tell that nothing is happening as of yet. One of the merchants told me there has been zero activity.

Grandad's Bar is getting really close. I walked in and met with the owner Greg Seal who told me they are only waiting on a fire suppression system which will be another month. The space itself features the original tin ceiling and the decor is basic, but there is a big space in the front with a stage for live music. I think this is going to be a great local spot.

I don't remember this being posted before but the spot just east of Grandad's is operated by Stinson Design Group, which is not only a top-end interior design outfit, they have a beautiful shop and showroom.

Just east of Big Truck Tacos, there are is a strip center with three businesses, two under construction. The one closest to BTT is their own shop which wasn't open. East of that is Aviano Gelato but since posting progress photos in March, there has been absolutely no progress. There was one construction guy there but I couldn't see he was doing much. Might have been people working on the immediately adjacent store, but that is a long way from being done as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It's actually a somewhat worthwhile structure. I think TLC would surprise some.
    Have you been inside the place? It is interesting to see how all of these formerly separated business spaces have been combined as you pass from one to another (esp upstairs) but I wouldn't even want to guess the amount of serious cash needed to TLC it up..would be interesting though.

The Crown Heights Flower Shop just did one.

This just opened up this week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	295377_10150997878144456_202598994_n.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	1881

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IBQ4hzdRN2i8tF-640m.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	1882

Pretty good, so far have tried 3 different ones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42unkBw3wIWhsi-640m.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	1880  

I keep driving past that, but the tackioca name has repelled me - should I give it a try? Pete should probably move your post/pics to the thread for Sun Moon Plaza, which I think is where this is?

This is a mini chain out of Austin -- looks slick!

16. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    This space is being developed by Premier entertainment group. They have several businesses including gallery in one space and Premier Limousine in the other along with their offices. The corner space and the one next to it are now connected by a doorway. They are really doing a lot with the spaces.
    Sounds similar to Prestige Worldwide, but they also do security.

If you don't like the giant viet-style tapioca in your drinks, also known as boba, get your drink without it.

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    Sounds similar to Prestige Worldwide, but they also do security.
    Awesome

19. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Awesome
    Movie reference. Wouldn't expect you to be smart enough to google it.

These are photos from my trip a couple of weeks ago. Lots going on but still tons of junky buildings and gaps.

Hopefully when Grandad's opens on the east end of the strip and the Gellato and other spot finishes, it will tip the scales a bit more.

This is the horrific strip center on the north side of the street, just west of Dewey:

And directly across the street (SW corner of 23rd & Dewey) is this beautifully updated office building with new storefronts going in:

23rd Street Courts are VERY impressive! Had lunch at Bubba's and loved the atmosphere in the converted little house, complete with a porch, fireplace in the front room and cozy side rooms. Food was excellent as well:

This Guernsey Park Restaurant under construction in the back is really slick space, with a shaded outdoor seating area:

These two buildings are also nicely done, right on Guernsey in the back:

Another little jewel just north on Lee:

Anyone else think 23rd corridor feels like Los Angeles, kind of? Hard to explain exactly what I mean, just for some reason gives me the same vibe.

Here's an overview of the 23rd strip from Classen to I-235.

1. West Sector

2. West Central Sector

3. East Central Sector

4. East Sector

I really think it's time for Byron's to fix up its building. Good grief..

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I really think it's time for Byron's to fix up its building. Good grief..
    He hired an architect, paid the Urban Design Committee review fee, and then never actually had the architect submit completed drawings. I considered the project withdrawn after two years of no progress.

When the liquor store lobbyists try and claim allowing liquor sales in grocery stores would kill off places like Byron's, I can't help but think that would be a good thing.

Thread Information