Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: submarine sandwich shops in okc during 1960's - 1980's

Default submarine sandwich shops in okc during 1960's - 1980's

A friend recently recalled eating submarine sandwiches someplace in OKC probably during the 1970's, perhaps as early as 1960's, perhaps as late as the 1980's. This was long before the days of Subway Deli and anything currently open in OKC.

She could not remember where she ate them. She knows it was not Neptunes nor Someplace Else and believes it was part of a chain. She lived in Edmond at that time but likely ate these sandwiches in OKC and not Edmond.

I vaguely recall eating subs as a kid. Does anyone remember anything like what my friend has mentioned?

Thanks all.

Default Re: submarine sandwich shops in okc during 1960's - 1980's

Im thinking there was one on the north side of nw expressway. The name escapes me but it was a chain and i remember it from the early 80s

Could it have been Blimpie? I just know that they've been around since the 60s...

No it was on the northside of nw expressway between may and villa. Name still escapes me but there were a few in town.

Nick's?

No....

On edit my response was already mentioned

The one on the North side of Northwest Expressway was Subway Deli, and it opened in a building that was originally a small T. G. I. F. Not like the larger ones they currently operate. The Subway Deli moved to South Meridian on the East side where Pearl's Cajun Kitchen opened after Subway Deli closed. I think it is a Zapata's now.
    C. T.

I should have made it clear that Subway Deli was not a franchise (Subway) and was owned by a couple of local folks that had other restaurants in the OKC area.
    C. T.

For the life of me i still cannot recall the name of the place but i know it wasnt subway deli

Just a stab...Hemi's?

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    The one on the North side of Northwest Expressway was Subway Deli, and it opened in a building that was originally a small T. G. I. F. Not like the larger ones they currently operate. The Subway Deli moved to South Meridian on the East side where Pearl's Cajun Kitchen opened after Subway Deli closed. I think it is a Zapata's now.
    C. T.
    Subway Deli was owned by the Seikel's, the people who own Pearl's Restaurant Group. Pearl's Fish House (Cajun Kitchen) on Meridian was still open when we were up there for the OU-Tech game weekend last November and is still listed on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Subway Deli was owned by the Seikel's, the people who own Pearl's Restaurant Group. Pearl's Fish House (Cajun Kitchen) on Meridian was still open when we were up there for the OU-Tech game weekend last November and is still listed on their website.
    The connection with Pearls had escaped me. Hey, I'm old. I didn't realize the Cajun Kitchen was still operating. I don't eat out since I lost my wife five years ago. Now how dumb is that? I eat my own lousy cooking. I ate at the Subway Deli about once a week when I was working for Hertz on Northwest Expressway. They had a pretty nice menu.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    For the life of me i still cannot recall the name of the place but i know it wasnt subway deli
    The only other sub shop I can think of was on N. W. 23rd near Harvey, South side of the street. It had been a franchise drive-in before the sub shop. But sorry, I can't remember the name. I knew most restaurants on Northwest Expressway because I worked there off and on from 1973 till 1974. Maybe another one will pop into my senile brain, and I will let you know.
    C. T.

It had to be the very early to mid 80s and if the name escapes me i guess it wasnt that memorable haha. I prefer neptunes on classen and prefer their subs since eating there in the 70s.

could it have been... sub stop? -M

Quite possibly.......The name does kinda ring a bell.

Edit......Sub n stuff was the name of the joint.

There used to be a Sub 'n Stuff in the center at Hefner & Penn where the Buy For Less grocery store was/is.

I remember Sub 'n Stuff. I think there was one along NW Expressway somewhere.....

And Cajun Kitchen is still there on Meridian, still owned by the Pearls group, but the name is changed to Pearls Fish House.

If I remember correctly there was a Subs Inc. at NW 15th and Rockwell. It closed about 20-years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUMom View Post
    I remember Sub 'n Stuff. I think there was one along NW Expressway somewhere......
    I think it was in one of the strip centers east of Rockwell.

Quote Originally Posted by FRISKY View Post
    If I remember correctly there was a Subs Inc. at NW 15th and Rockwell. It closed about 20-years ago.
    There was a Neptune open in the strip mall on the Northeast corner of NW 16th & Rockwell that was there until the mid-80's.

There was also a Neptunes open at 63rd and may on the same corner as where the homeland used to be.

i'll just leave this here... -M

I think the Northwest Expressway location of Subs, etc. or Sub & Stuff, I forget the name, was in the location that Little Mike's Hamburgers is in now. Paul Seikal's first sandwich shop was at Hefner and Penn if I recall, then he opened a Northwest Expressway location where Schlotsky's is now. The Subway Deli on South Meridian that he owned used to be where Arby's is, then he moved to where Cajun is Kitchen now. I really liked Subway Deli and went to the one on Meridian frequently.

Neptune's is still my favorite Oklahoma City sub shop because I like their bread. I have liked City Bite's since they opened but have been frustrated by some of the changes they have made like getting rid of the meatball sub which was my favorite. My mom always loved their chicken noodle soup but they changed it and she does not like the new version.

Bigray in Ok

Which Wich or Jason's Deli are our faves.

Thread Information