Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: submarine sandwich shops in okc during 1960's - 1980's

Default Re: submarine sandwich shops in okc during 1960's - 1980's

CT, the Subway Deli where Schlotzky's is across from Baptist hospital opened I think in the 70's. He moved to the space where Fazzoli's is now sometime around 1988, and that's when Schlotzkys went in that old space. It's been there ever since. They also opened up the Subway deli on S. Meridian in the 70's or 80's, so they had a couple locations for quite some time. They eventually closed the Subway Deli on S. Meridian and changed it into something closer to Pearls. He also has owned Trappers in that area for a long time. He likes to cluster his stores. He also owned Butterfields on NW Exp, and Clementines, which was the disco in the basement of Penn Square, I believe where Macys is now located. They also tried to open Pearls in Dallas, but it didn't last.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold_Sink View Post
    The only submarine sandwich shop I knew of in the early 80's was Neptune's Submarine Sandwiches in the shopping area on the northwest corner of NW 63rd and N May Ave. I know this because I worked there when I was 14 years old. The manager tried to talk me into becoming the assistant manager, but I was not about to quit school. Plus, I didn't have a license or a car either.
    Ate there in the 1970s/80s until my family moved to Edmond, we lived on NW 67th right behind there, also shopped at the Safeway that used to be in that center (there was a barber shop too, I believe). Still eat at the Neptune's on Classen, better than Someplace Else, IMO.

Yep, that was a great ol' barber shop next door to Neptune's where the Half Price books is now. Always would get a sandwich anytime I got my haircut. There was also a Neptunes on the west side of Western, just south of Britton for many years.

Not sure when it opened because it was there when I moved to MWC in 1982, but there was a Neptune on Air Depot

There were two on the southside, one at 44th & Penn, and another on S Western in the old Twitty Bird location.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    There were two on the southside, one at 44th & Penn, and another on S Western in the old Twitty Bird location.
    there was also one in lightning creek shopping center near sw 81st and western... perhaps it took over for the one near 70th & western (i'm guessing you mean twitty burger) as i don't remember neptune ever being there... so it was probably before my time.

the biggest thing i remember about neptune was that it was almost all bread.

This would have probably been in the late 70's.

The meatball sub wasn't too bad.

There was a sub shop in the early 80's located in the light industrial,warehouse area on the north east corner of Sooner and 240. It faced 240. What was unique was the owner was somehow related to George Thorogood and they had Tastycake products for desert. The name escaped me. The GM workers were frequent customers

Quote Originally Posted by blackmorerulz
    This would have probably in the late 70's.

The meatball sub wasn't too bad.

gotcha... never realized neptune was there. i was born in '77, so i wouldn't have remembered much from the late 70's. earliest thing i remember in that storefront was an italian restaurant in the early 80's. i think it might have been a barbecue joint after that and then it was custino's italian in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    There was a sub shop in the early 80's located in the light industrial,warehouse area on the north east corner of Sooner and 240. It faced 240. What was unique was the owner was somehow related to George Thorogood and they had Tastycake products for desert. The name escaped me. The GM workers were frequent customers
    that was mentioned upthread... if I remember right they were thinking the place was called 'mikes'

from april 6, 1982...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neptunesubs19820406.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	15471

edit: according to the oklahoman archives, the place was wagonwheel ballroom in '77. an article from '78 put nino's at that address... i think it was always next door, though. in '84, it was called edelweiss no.1 restaurant. in '85, it was ole ray's barbecue. by '98 it was southwest monument.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    CT, the Subway Deli where Schlotzky's is across from Baptist hospital opened I think in the 70's. He moved to the space where Fazzoli's is now sometime around 1988, and that's when Schlotzkys went in that old space. It's been there ever since. They also opened up the Subway deli on S. Meridian in the 70's or 80's, so they had a couple locations for quite some time. They eventually closed the Subway Deli on S. Meridian and changed it into something closer to Pearls. He also has owned Trappers in that area for a long time. He likes to cluster his stores. He also owned Butterfields on NW Exp, and Clementines, which was the disco in the basement of Penn Square, I believe where Macys is now located. They also tried to open Pearls in Dallas, but it didn't last.
    The place on Meridian became a Pearl's Cajun Kitchen. They also had one in Edmond. I believe there were three of them.
    C. T.

Good work Martin. Never realized there was a Neptune's right next to Riviera. And you're right, Nino's was always in that other building. Custino's was only there for a short time, like 94-95. There was also a City Bites for many years in the shopping center across the street.

That's right C.T., I forgot he also had Shorty Small's at Reno/Meridian and Edmond.

As for "Twitty Burger" is the any truth to the legend that when you pulled up to the drive thru speaker, the voice would say "Hello Darlin'?

14. Default Re: submarine sandwich shops in okc during 1960's - 1980's

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    from april 6, 1982...

edit: according to the oklahoman archives, the place was wagonwheel ballroom in '77. an article from '78 put nino's at that address... i think it was always next door, though. in '84, it was called edelweiss no.1 restaurant. in '85, it was ole ray's barbecue. by '98 it was southwest monument.
    I also believe it spent a short stint as an onion burger restaurant in the early 90's before becoming Southwest Monument.

Good work Martin. Never realized there was a Neptune's right next to Riviera. And you're right, Nino's was always in that other building. Custino's was only there for a short time, like 94-95. There was also a City Bites for many years in the shopping center across the street.

That's right C.T., I forgot he also had Shorty Small's at Reno/Meridian and Edmond.

As for "Twitty Burger" is the any truth to the legend that when you pulled up to the drive thru speaker, the voice would say "Hello Darlin'?
    Shorty Smalls was/is a ValGene Restaurant Started by Paul Kreth

The Shadow,
    We ate at the Twitty Burger place several times but I don't remember a drive through. I'm sure they had one, we just went inside and enjoyed a pretty good burger. By the way, his house on Santa Fe was red brick with white bricks spelling "CT". I always wanted to buy the house because of that but when it was put up for sale they replaced the white bricks. Makes sense, how many potential buyers were named "CT"?
    C. T.

What was the small sub sandwich chain that had a location in the NE corner of the Mayfair Shopping Center next door to where the UPS Store is today? The UPS was Mail Boxes Etc. at the time. The subs were good, but the name escapes me. There was also a Subzone up at 58th & May. While not sub sandwiches, who can forget Skolniks and their bagels on the west side of Mayfair Shopping Center?

Jeepnokc, My bad. I forgot Shorty Small's started out of the old Hungry Peddler, which of course was Val Gene's. Guess they moved into the old Rib Crib space after Jim Vallion sold the building at Reno and Meridian.

C.T. I didn't know about the bricks on the house on Santa Fe. You're right, I don't think the Twitty Burger by the Riviera had a drive thru, but it did have drive in stalls. That building still has a small carport on the North side, which is remnant of that.

I don't remember a sandwich shop in the NE corner of Mayfair.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I mentioned this earlier ( post 39) he was George Thorogood’s brother.

Not that anybody cares but I meant to say that his fireplace had "CT" in white bricks.
    C. T.

C.T. I didn't know about the bricks on the house on Santa Fe. You're right, I don't think the Twitty Burger by the Riviera had a drive thru, but it did have drive in stalls. That building still has a small carport on the North side, which is remnant of that.

That was the Winchester that was on Western, Riviera was at 59th & Santa Fe

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Not that anybody cares but I meant to say that his fireplace had "CT" in white bricks.
    C. T.
    And the swimming pool was in the shape of a guitar.

That was the Winchester that was on Western, Riviera was at 59th & Santa Fe
    That's what I meant. Riviera is now just a grass lot.

And the swimming pool was in the shape of a guitar.
    Yes, I had forgotten that.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Yes, I had forgotten that.
    C. T.
    Got to see the pool when I was a kid. Somebody must have filled it in at some point.

Thread Information