Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: submarine sandwich shops in okc during 1960's - 1980's

Default Re: submarine sandwich shops in okc during 1960's - 1980's

Bigray,
    What was located at Hefner and Penn? I worked there from 1978 and spent a lot of time there (I worked for Hertz) till the late 90's. Also, what was the name of the restaurant? I'm sure I must have eaten lunch there but I'm drawing a blank.
    C. T.

I am not sure of the name. I remember reading an interview with Paul Seikal who started Subway Deli and Pearl's among others that he started his first sandwich shop at the age of 19. I am pretty sure he said it was at Hefner and Penn. It has been about 20 years since I read the article so my recollection may be fuzzy. It may have been subway Deli but I am not sure.

Bigray in Ok

There was a Sub and Stuff in the mid-to-late 80's on the Penn side of the strip mall adjacent to Buy For Less.

Not sure of the Seikel connection in the area though, it wasn't until about 1983 that I spent a lot of time in that area of town.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post
    I am not sure of the name. I remember reading an interview with Paul Seikal who started Subway Deli and Pearl's among others that he started his first sandwich shop at the age of 19. I am pretty sure he said it was at Hefner and Penn. It has been about 20 years since I read the article so my recollection may be fuzzy. It may have been subway Deli but I am not sure.

Bigray in Ok
    I found this comment with google. "Seikel's passion for everything Cajun blossomed in his early 20s while he was running sandwich shops in Oklahoma City, he said.". So, I wonder if he managed or was the franchisee for the Subs N Stuff at Hefner and Penn before breaking out on his own. Your comment seems to indicate he owned a sandwich shop. And at age 19 that would have been 1973 since he's 57 now. Definitely before I was working in that area.
    C. T.

He owned a couple of sub shops called Subway Deli. I don't believe he had anything to do with Subs N Stuff.

The only submarine sandwich shop I knew of in the early 80's was Neptune's Submarine Sandwiches in the shopping area on the northwest corner of NW 63rd and N May Ave. I know this because I worked there when I was 14 years old. The manager tried to talk me into becoming the assistant manager, but I was not about to quit school. Plus, I didn't have a license or a car either.

Come on folks it is called a Hoagie.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    Come on folks it is called a Hoagie.
    Sorry, there are hoagies, submarines, and grinders and it depends on where you live.
    C. T.

9. Default Re: submarine sandwich shops in okc during 1960's - 1980's

I remember eating a sub at the state fair from a place called Cornucopia. I think they had a shop at 10th & Walker in the Midtown Plaza.

Kmart

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Sorry, there are hoagies, submarines, and grinders and it depends on where you live.
    C. T.
    I know. Just joking around. I grew up north of Philadelphia and are called hoagies in that area.

Paul and Linda Seikel (who recently passed away) owned Subway Deli, which was originally across from Baptist hospital. Basically, where the Schotzkys is today. They relocated to approximately Macarthur and NW expressway at some point in the 90's, and that location would have closed by approximately 2000. It was delicious.

They did not own the sub shop next to the "Foodworld" which eventually became "Buy For Less" at Penn and Hefner.

I cannot remember the name of the sub shop at Penn and Hefner, but it was damn good.

What was the name of that place? I think it was two words...Sub something?

Quote Originally Posted by Harold_Sink View Post
    The only submarine sandwich shop I knew of in the early 80's was Neptune's Submarine Sandwiches in the shopping area on the northwest corner of NW 63rd and N May Ave. I know this because I worked there when I was 14 years old. The manager tried to talk me into becoming the assistant manager, but I was not about to quit school. Plus, I didn't have a license or a car either.
    There was also a location on the west side of meridian just south 63rd.

Blog Entries

Here’s one some may not remember, in a little group of shops on north access road of I 240 and just east of Sooner, the brother of George Thorogood had come from the NE to work at the GM plant, and took a buyout and opened up a sub sandwich place, using Baugette bread and his choice of meats, pickles etc. really good.

15. Default Re: submarine sandwich shops in okc during 1960's - 1980's

Quote Originally Posted by Mott View Post
    Here’s one some may not remember, in a little group of shops on north access road of I 240 and just east of Sooner, the brother of George Thorogood had come from the NE to work at the GM plant, and took a buyout and opened up a sub sandwich place, using Baugette bread and his choice of meats, pickles etc. really good.
    Wasn't it called Mike's or something with Mike in it? I remember it being there for quite a few years.

MWC also had about the only Blimpie location around here.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    MWC also had about the only Blimpie location around here.
    i remember there being one briefly on 12th street in moore in the late 90's, maybe early 2000's. they had radio commercials for years before entering our market and it really built the place up in my mind... when i finally tried it, i was sorely let down that it was basically subway.

Yep you're right, I remember the radio spots. The MWC store was in a gas station right next to TD Ray's BBQ. However, I thought it was better than Subway.

Do you remember Sub Stop? Started out in a little bitty store on 2nd in Edmond, which was eventually razed to build the Jiffy Lube. Also had a store on Western where the Subway is today.

That was a local chain that began franchising and grew real quick, then they all disappeared.

I used to frequent the Sub Stop in El reno when I worked out there in the late 80's - early 90's.

Speaking of Subway, their business model hasn't hardly changed a bit over the years. Apparently it works.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    I remember eating a sub at the state fair from a place called Cornucopia. I think they had a shop at 10th & Walker in the Midtown Plaza.
    That's interesting, remember about what year that was? I used to work at a restaurant named Cornucopia from about 1978-1981, it was on NW 63rd/NW Expressway (kind of where Chase is now). It was owned by Pat and Larry Thompson, who also owned The Hungry Frog (Larry still does, I believe, Pat's dead), but I don't think they also had a sandwich shop. I'll ask next time we're at the Frog if Larry's there. If the sandwich place wasn't owned by them, pretty odd coincidence that there were two restaurants in OKC named "Cornucopia" around the same timeframe.

Of course, we must mention Someplace Else, still in business

This might have been in the early 90's, I don't really remember. there was a joint called Sub Zone, on the east side of the Best Buy and A Guitar shop around NW 63rd and May. It was the first time I had one toasted.

23. Default Re: submarine sandwich shops in okc during 1960's - 1980's

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    That's interesting, remember about what year that was? I used to work at a restaurant named Cornucopia from about 1978-1981, it was on NW 63rd/NW Expressway (kind of where Chase is now). It was owned by Pat and Larry Thompson, who also owned The Hungry Frog (Larry still does, I believe, Pat's dead), but I don't think they also had a sandwich shop. I'll ask next time we're at the Frog if Larry's there. If the sandwich place wasn't owned by them, pretty odd coincidence that there were two restaurants in OKC named "Cornucopia" around the same timeframe.
    It had to be late 60s/early 70s. I don't know if it was a sandwich shop, but at the fair they sold subs. They were damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    I know. Just joking around. I grew up north of Philadelphia and are called hoagies in that area.
    Gotcha, I was introduced to hoagies in Blue Ridge Summit, Pa., near Waynesboro.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Paul and Linda Seikel (who recently passed away) owned Subway Deli, which was originally across from Baptist hospital. Basically, where the Schotzkys is today. They relocated to approximately Macarthur and NW expressway at some point in the 90's, and that location would have closed by approximately 2000. It was delicious.

They did not own the sub shop next to the "Foodworld" which eventually became "Buy For Less" at Penn and Hefner.

I cannot remember the name of the sub shop at Penn and Hefner, but it was damn good.

What was the name of that place? I think it was two words...Sub something?
    The Subway Deli was in the building that is now Fazoli's. They moved to South Meridian and that's the last one of the Subway Delis. I remember the place next to Foodworld but the name escapes me.
    C. T.

Thread Information