Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 1234567853 ... LastLast

Thread: Preftakes Block

Default Re: Preftakes to announce development across from Devon?

As long as its not wholesale destruction of unique buildings and history, I'm ok with modern architecture.
    I have to admit I'm partial to Art Deco, and Streamline.
    But 701 N Broadway building looks "decent", please note other then drawing squares with windows I'm not talented in this area..lol

2. Default Re: Preftakes to announce development across from Devon?

So did they release the news or not?

3. Default Re: Preftakes to announce development across from Devon?

bomber, there was never a "release" promised or reported. This all started with me teasing that I was going to do an update on the Preftakes project. Which is what I did. For the first time we now know he's doing a development, and that he's trying to obtain the bus station before getting started.

BTW Steve
    Well done with the Paseo's newest place story!!
    1st time I read something in the NEWSOK, before okctalk.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwise View Post
    BTW Steve
    Well done with the Paseo's newest place story!!
    1st time I read something in the NEWSOK, before okctalk.
    Which place, GM?

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    Which place, GM?
    Picasso's ,where Galileos' was.

If he was able to obtain the bus station, how about moving the Lunch Box there, perhaps with evening service as well? There would be great areas on both the east and west sides (where the buses currently park) for outdoor terraces. Or maybe it's big enough there could be two restaurants in that building (there is a second floor).

With the Lunch Box moved, that would open up a decent area (parcels 12, 13 & 14 on my diagram) between the bus station and 1 North Hudson where something of significance could be constructed.

8. Default Re: Preftakes to announce development across from Devon?

Well GM, thanks, I think. I guess you didn't catch a small scoop I got on Devon tower ...

The truth is I have a very symbiotic relationship with this site. I would suggest to you there are story ideas I get here and elsewhere (most notably Dustbury), but that there are just as many stories I break that are then posted here and followed by healthy discussions.

I realize, of course, that's it's sport to hate on the local paper/news site and that's ok too.

9. Default Re: Preftakes to announce development across from Devon?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    If he was able to obtain the bus station, how about moving the Lunch Box there, perhaps with evening service as well? There would be great areas on both the east and west sides (where the buses currently park) for outdoor terraces. Or maybe it's big enough there could be two restaurants in that building (there is a second floor).

With the Lunch Box moved, that would open up a decent area (parcels 12, 13 & 14 on my diagram) between the bus station and 1 North Hudson where something of significance could be constructed.
    Intersting idea. It would be painful to see the current home of the Lunch Box go away. It's so old and worn out, it's downright charming in a Jane Jacobs kind of way.

I think the art deco style of the station would lend itself very well to the diner-like Lunch Box.

11. Default Re: Preftakes to announce development across from Devon?

Yeah, but for the price it's going to take to get it, I doubt the Lunch Box guy could afford the rent (see Preftakes, Nick: "not sentimental")

I doubt un-sentimental Nick is going to keep the rent cheap at the current site, either. None of the properties he has been acquiring in that block have been inexpensive. He paid $750,000 for that 3,500 sf Lunch Box building -- it had sold just seven years before for $130,000.

The only way he can justify his invesment is to develop and although there are inherent limiations and areas of history to contend with, something has to give.

13. Default Re: Preftakes to announce development across from Devon?

why do I get the bad feeling a slice of homemade pie at the Lunch Box is soon going to cost $12?

14. Default Re: Preftakes to announce development across from Devon?

In all seriousness, The Lunch Box has a powerful customer base - one Nick doesn't want to upset. But the Union station would have additional cost of having to be renovated, and quite frankly, I just don't see it going to the Lunch Box. Not sure what this all means - but I seriously suspect the station would have a bigger or more upscale tenant.

If the Lunch Box doesn't find a new location, it's days are numbered.

Why would he pay $750K for a small single-tenant building if he didn't plan to do something with it?

The fact he wants to demolish the buidling directly to the west underscores his ambitions for that stretch.

To put the LB pricetag into perspective, about the same time he paid just slightly more for the Carpenter Square building, which is about five times the size and on a great corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Well GM, thanks, I think. I guess you didn't catch a small scoop I got on Devon tower ...

The truth is I have a very symbiotic relationship with this site. I would suggest to you there are story ideas I get here and elsewhere (most notably Dustbury), but that there are just as many stories I break that are then posted here and followed by healthy discussions.

I realize, of course, that's it's sport to hate on the local paper/news site and that's ok too.
    Well actually it was genuine, and I looked for a thread titled about it, not finding it I assume it was found in newsok, be4 okctalks.

17. Default Re: Preftakes to announce development across from Devon?

I'm just feeling a bit defensive today gmwise. Sorry if that came off as snippy.

18. Default Re: Preftakes to announce development across from Devon?

OK, youngsters, quit your fussin'.

Back to topic, about the Union Bus Station as I just said in Steve's OKC Central blog,
    . . . and, by the way, when a very small little boy I remember being in the 2nd floor of the Union Bus Station when it still had a 2nd floor, standing with my mother up there as we were about to depart OKC to somewhere, probably California — the 2nd floor area was at the north end and it had a balcony which overlooked the 1st floor . .
    Anyone else remember the 2nd floor?

I do not remember the 2nd floor. Of course, I only used the bus station once. I used in back in '01 to go out to DC for my second year of law school. It was... an eye opening experience. Teach me to be too broke to afford a plane ticket.

I hate to be that guy, but I really don't like the food at the Lunch Box. It's like Furr's Cafeteria, only not name brand. I've eaten there a few times, and I am fairly renowned in my office for being a picky eater, but it is not my cup of tea. Let's just say that while I understand it's an OKC tradition, it's not one that I'll particularly miss if it goes away. I mean, it's not Coney Island.

Default Nicholas Preftakes update?

So with Devon reaching substantial construction milestones and employees moving early next year, has anyone heard what is up Nick Preftakes sleeve yet with his block on Main St, across from the Devon Energy Center? Surely he has something up his sleeve and the time is nearing prime to start rehabbing/demo/construction so it will be ready not too long after Devon moves in.

Default Re: Nicholas Preftakes update?

I too am dying to know this. The economy is starting to heat up again.

I know he received a demolition permit a few months ago for one of the small buildings near the Lunch Box.

It's hard to imagine what his plans might be, as several of those properties have historical significance (Bus Station, Carpenter Square, Auto Hotel) and even the one that doesn't (Lunch Box) would spark an outcry if he wanted to pull it down.

That block just needs to be renovated. There's already such awesome urban fabric on that one block. I'm not even sure if there is one block just like it that's that dense, almost totally preserved, in vintage. Seeing any of those buildings go would be a SandRidge Redux. And I would book a flight back from Europe instantly if that were to happen. I think that would make a lot of people livid right now.

Future site for Convention Center?

j/k

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    Future site for Convention Center?

j/k
    Thank you for the j/k. That was a horrifying thought. I agree with Spartan. Just renovate that awesome block.

Thread Information