Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 93 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131459 ... LastLast

Thread: Preftakes Block

1. Default Re: Nicholas Preftakes update?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    That pic is deceiving and bad angle
    How's this for an angle?

94 photos via Flickr

2. Default Re: Nicholas Preftakes update?

I think should help with the discussion we're having.

Default Re: Nicholas Preftakes update?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    What would be more innovative is if the one and two story buildings with interesting architecture could be incorporated into a new higher density development using just their facades. That would still give us a historical context for that area.
    You could do something like this but to a smaller extent of course.

Here's a crude rendering:

4. Default Re: Nicholas Preftakes update?

UnFrSaKn, your video and stills above are simply outstanding. Thanks so very very much.

What was the name of the frame shop that used to be in one of the old Main Street store fronts? Heckers? Whatever happened to them? I always thought they were awesome. Still got a lot of stuff hanging on my walls that they had a hand in making......

6. Default Re: Nicholas Preftakes update?

What was it close to? Nearest street?

View today

Quote Originally Posted by blendd View Post
    What was the name of the frame shop that used to be in one of the old Main Street store fronts? Heckers? Whatever happened to them? I always thought they were awesome. Still got a lot of stuff hanging on my walls that they had a hand in making......
    Was it called Markers?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Was it called Markers?
    Nah, it was definitely Heckers - I pulled something off the wall here at the office and sure enough there's a gold sticker on the back that says "ROBERT E. HECKER ART CO." which was celebrating 50 years of existence (1930-1980) - looking at the pictures on pages 2 & 4 of this thread, I am pretty sure Heckers was in the space that is shown right next to the Kinney shoe store - now, I'm not saying they were there when those Historical Society photos were taken as I only discovered Heckers for my framing needs in the late 80's - but I do know they had one of those nice deep storefronts with a lot of window display space like this last shot from UnFrSaKn's post
    Last edited by blendd; 03-09-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling

9. Default Re: Nicholas Preftakes update?

I looked at this and I'm not entirely sure it's the same place. Maybe they changed the buildings, I don't know. If it was next to Kinney Shoes, it would be the building with the diamond shapes across the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanosaurus View Post
    You could do something like this but to a smaller extent of course.

Here's a crude rendering:
    With all due respect..

I beg of you, PLEASE don't do that. Either keep only the existing facades or renovate the insides. JMO

Well, if it is added onto, it would be recessed (dropped back) so as to preserve all of the original facade's integrity.

Because nothing is happening now, my fear is that Pretakes is waiting to own the whole block, so he can tear it all down. If you were wanting to individually renovate, why not do it now, while all of downtown is torn up anway? That way, you'd have everything shinied up and ready to go when Devon opens and the streets are done. I suppose there's a bit more time for that to happen, but still, I worry.

Last I heard he was waiting to announce plans until he could buy the bus station.

Last I heard he was waiting to announce plans until he could buy the bus station.
    Precisely why I'm worried. If you were renovating individual buildings, the bus station could be done later. If you're tearing down a significant portion of the block, you might as well wait until you have all the properties.

Here is a direct quote from the Precor website. http://www.precorruffin.com/index.html

Historic Renovation - Investing in the Past for Profit

PrecorRuffin’s experience and expertise in the adaptive reuse of historic properties and placing them into service as income producing investments is unique among real estate firms in the region.

PrecorRuffin has mastered the complex puzzle of balancing market economics with historic preservation. This expertise not only protects the ability to capture valuable investment tax credits, but also provides the potential for extraordinary return on investment.

Projects of distinction include converting a 1930’s 3-story warehouse into Oklahoma City’s first loft apartments with drive-to-the-door parking; renovating a 1919 automobile dealership into dramatic loft offices; as well as the re-creation of the landmark C. R. Anthony Building into a modern, class “A” office building which beckons you into downtown. Each of these projects captures the historic feel and nature of the building while generating significant returns.
    Precor definitely prides themselves on historic preservation.

It certainly sounds like he is assembling with the intention to flip to Devon.

Devon has done things right every step of the way, so I'm not going to worry too much about this.

And as long as they replace what is there with something very high quality and high density, some demolition wouldn't be the worst thing.
    Last edited by Pete; 03-10-2011 at 06:08 PM.

17. Default Re: Nicholas Preftakes update?

History Channel did a segment on the Hearst Tower (the one above) about "green" buildings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearst_...w_York_City%29

PETE YOU ARE CORRECT SIR... Devon is going to want that property.for what i do not know.

I hope whatever Devon has in mind it doesn't include plazas, flower beds, and/or fountains.

I hope whatever Devon has in mind it doesn't include plazas, flower beds, and/or fountains.
    I strongly agree.

I might get criticized for this, but I also think that their plaza space along Sheridan at the new headquarters is too much. Ideally, the garden wing would abut Sheridan with retail along it. There would still be adequate plaza space directly south of the rotunda and between the tower and the Colcord.

That is a little ridiculous. They are building the tallest building in the city and building a huge building right beside it. I think they are fine leaving a small plaza in front of it. I agree that the block in question shouldn't be torn down but I think the Devon comment is taking the density thing too far.

22. Default Re: Nicholas Preftakes update?

Me too, but I was happy that the added auditorium helps to enforce the small streetwall along Hudson and took some of the plaza and garden away.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Precisely why I'm worried. If you were renovating individual buildings, the bus station could be done later. If you're tearing down a significant portion of the block, you might as well wait until you have all the properties.
    Perhaps he doesn't want to drive up the price of the bus station on himself. If he announces a big initiative on the block, that alone will drive up the value of the bus station. I is just smart business strategy to have patience and to work against himself. It doesn't mean he is waiting to destroy the block.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Perhaps he doesn't want to drive up the price of the bus station on himself. If he announces a big initiative on the block, that alone will drive up the value of the bus station. I is just smart business strategy to have patience and to work against himself. It doesn't mean he is waiting to destroy the block.
    Hmmmmmmm, I hadn't thought about that. Makes sense though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Great point, makes perfect sense to act in this manner too. Let's say this is the case, then obviously he needs the bus station to sell. The bus station may not want to sell until they see where the new Okc transit Hub will be built.

This project could be 4-5 years away from the announcement of Preftakes plans.

Thread Information