Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Frat House

Default Re: Best Frat House

I think the question we should all be asking is in 2011 who the hell still cares about fraternities.

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    I think the question we should all be asking is in 2011 who the hell still cares about fraternities.
    Obviously not you. I think the fraternity concept is still completely valid though. It has gone through up and down cycles as most things do but they still serve a purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    I'm Slim Shady yes I'm the real Shady all you other Slim Shady's are just imitating. I could post a picture of Snoop Dog attempting himself wrapped and laced in a blunt, but we won't go there for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Actually, Sigma Nu subdivided their lot (which was huge).

Both will be coming back around the same time.
    The Sigma Nu House is under construction right now and will face the corner. Interesting fact that the new house is designed by the grandson (Steve Newby) of the first Sigma Nu (Errett Newby) at OU. Here is link to what house will look like:

Sigma Nu Delta Epsilon - Chapter House

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    The Sigma Nu House is under construction right now and will face the corner. Interesting fact that the new house is designed by the grandson (Steve Newby) of the first Sigma Nu (Errett Newby) at OU. Here is link to what house will look like:

Sigma Nu Delta Epsilon - Chapter House
    I attended the groundbreaking and still have a copy of the renderings and floor plans. That place is going to be a real frat castle. I think it looks nicer than Fiji. I understand that they'll be occupying that house in the Fall of 2015. It will be the finest fraternity house at OU and one of the finest in the country. A shot has definitely been fired in the arms race.

While in recent years, Sigma Nu has been a lower tier chapter at OU, they have had very successful recruitment and look to return to their roots as being a top tier chapter on campus.

To answer the 2011 question as to why anyone should care... fraternities are places where you go to make social networks which will benefit you for life. It is no accident that fraternity members enjoy great success later in life due to the lifelong friendshipes they forge in college. French club is not a substitute.

I pledged to Kappa Alpha Order, spring semester of my freshman year at OSU. We weren't the biggest house but we had some decent parties (as it was, OSU was dry even then) but in my experience at that time, the Sigma Phi's threw the best parties. It was probably the BETA house before that but their charter got yanked that semester.

With regard to fratERNITIES at UCO, I went to parties at TKE, Sig Nu (if that's the house Krak was a member of) and Acacia. Acacia threw the best parties of all three in my opinion!

This is a funny thread.

8. Default Re: Best Frat House

It's all Greek to me.

There is a major building boom currently in the Greek community at OU. It started with Fiji tearing down and building a new house a few years ago. Now there are brand new houses for Kappa Sigma and ATO, construction started on Sigma Nu and major expansions at AGD and Beta Theta Pi.

Never was involved in the social fraternities but I still think that the "Beta house" is an impressive structure...real classy looking. I still divert once in while when in Norman to admire it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
    Never was involved in the social fraternities but I still think that the "Beta house" is an impressive structure...real classy looking. I still divert once in while when in Norman to admire it.
    Yes, it's very cool.

I remember when I was in high school and my older sister was trying to get me interested in fraternities and OU, and she drove me around both North and South Greek in Norman.

The Beta house is the one that really struck me right off the bat.

At the learning institutions at Lackland and Keesler did not have fraternities either. Did live in dorm like buildings though.

Mel,

I was always tickled at how the different "dorms" in Keesler's old Triangle intermeshed with one another. They were not as fancy as the frat houses at OU but they had a certain character to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
    Mel,

I was always tickled at how the different "dorms" in Keesler's old Triangle intermeshed with one another. They were not as fancy as the frat houses at OU but they had a certain character to them.
    I looked at that area on Google Earth recently and wow it's changed. Me and a bud just about got busted running across the officers golf course and the end of the runway. A C-130 about to touch down would make a cheetah run faster. Water bug's my rear end. I know a 3 inch long cockroach when I see it.

I don't know about best frat house, but I guess we know which one is the worst frat house now.

16. Default Re: Best Frat House

Well there might be a new house up for sale. I wonder who gets it.

17. Default Re: Best Frat House

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I don't know about best frat house, but I guess we know which one is the worst frat house now.
    Except that they are no longer a chaptered (or occupied) house. Oops...

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Well there might be a new house up for sale. I wonder who gets it.
    University owns it. Last time SAE was suspended...they turned it into University admin offices. Don't see it becoming a greek house.

19. Default Re: Best Frat House

I used to see shirts at OSU that students in the dorms wore that said Gamma Delta Iota.

We had GDIs out west also; they were independents, with the Greek letters being a spoof of the Greek system. The was GD a profanity that I've long since grown out of.

Robert Carradine almost got smoked in a car wreck. A true Nerd Icon!

Without frats and sorts would we have the wonderful phrase of "Walk Of Shame"?

Thread Information