Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bricktown or Redhawks Ballpark

Default Bricktown or Redhawks Ballpark

As indicated in Steve Lackmeyer's article recently, new owners of the Redhawks are planning on changing the name of the ballpark from AT&T Bricktown Ballpark, to Redhawks Ballpark. Also, they plan on tarping off areas of the first base upper deck, meaning seating capacity at the park would go down to a little over 9,000.

What are your thoughts of the name change and tarping over 4,000 seats?

Personally, I think the name change is a horrible idea. It's always been known as Bricktown Ballpark, or simply "The Brick". The name change to such a generic name just seems dumb. Why has there been no public outcry about this?

Also, what about events like July 4th when the ballpark is typically at capacity with 13,066 seats?

Default Re: Bricktown or Redhawks Ballpark

This may lead to the fairly normal, I don't care what it is officially called I am staying with the name I like.

Is the low level of outcry perhaps connected with the overall low interest, so low that the new owners see no issue in closing over 4,000 seats?
    As Bugs would say, ehhhh, could be.

Not real happy about dropping Bricktown from the name. As for the seats, it would only be for Redhawks games. What I find sad is they would rather close 4,000 seats than find a way to fill them. Of course, if they can generate demand by lower supply then more power to them - but that philospohy hasn't work here in Jax for the Jags.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    What I find sad is they would rather close 4,000 seats than find a way to fill them.
    That does seem completely backwards

I liked sitting in the upper deck on the 3rd base side when I attended a game last August. It was shaded and any foul ball within a section or two could be tracked down due to the lack of other people in the stands.

As for the the name, Brick whatever sounded good, but the thing is we see many Arena/Stadium/Ballpark name changes these days. I'm more concerned with my lack of familiarity with the Houston major league affiliate than name of the ballpark.

^^^
    Which is an excellent argument against corporate naming rights (especially when the name of the building is subject to change)

They should just have a contest or donate the crappy seats to somebody. The Redhawks owners look good and they fill the stadium.

Excellent suggestion. One of the areas that a lot of people seem to miss in the equation is that empty/unsold/unused seats also means no ancillary spending (souveniers, consessions etc). Even if someone gets in "free", they most likely are going to be spending some other money while there. (sorry about the typos)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Excellent suggestion. One of the areas that a lot of people seem to miss in the equation is that empty/unsold/unused seats also means no ancillary spending (souveniers, consessions etc). Even if someone gets in "free", they most likely are going to be spending some other money while there. (sorry about the typos)
    I can't speak for everyone but when I get free tickets to an event I usually spend more on cocessions than I normally would. I think blangtang makes a goodpoint about it being a new affilitation, so the team will have to work to attract fans. I guess maybe a lot of Redhawk fans were Ranger fans first.

I don't do baseball finance or marketing but I guess there are two basic approaches:

1. Start with an empty stadium and try to make a profit form everyone coming through the door, or
    2. Start with a full stadium and try to make a profit from as many as you can knowing some people will watch for free and not spend a dime.

It appears the Redhawks are going to try option 1. When we lived in Tampa the Tampa Yankees were closer to option 2. Games during the week were $1 per seat (anywhere in the stadium) and cokes and hotdogs were $1 each. They made up for it volume. Weekends were a little more expensive.

I was not aware that the new owners were going to do either of those things. I think both options are bad.

Tarping off 4,000 seats is a surrender to failure, as in "we're not even going to try to fill those seats." Changing the name to anything other than the "Bricktown Ballpark" is as silly now as it was when it happened originally.

The Brick was one of the premiere minor league ballparks in the country when it opened. Now I fear it is in control of owners who are strictly looking to manage it, and squeeze whatever can be squeezed from it with a minimum amount of effort.

I hope this isn't some extended trend for baseball in downtown. Since baseball at OSU has been in the doldrums for a while, and OU has had both good and bad years, interest in the Bedlam series has been less than "white hot" the last few years. That, combined with the horrendous decision on the part of the conference to "pool up" the Big 12 baseball tournament (and crush attendance in so doing), has made the market for baseball in downtown decidedly less attractive.

The sad irony to me is that the Brick was more or less the cornerstone of the original MAPS project, and it seems to be a fading memory in the light of the Thunder and the broader Bricktown redevelopment effort.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I was not aware that the new owners were going to do either of those things. I think both options are bad.

Tarping off 4,000 seats is a surrender to failure, as in "we're not even going to try to fill those seats." Changing the name to anything other than the "Bricktown Ballpark" is as silly now as it was when it happened originally.

The Brick was one of the premiere minor league ballparks in the country when it opened. Now I fear it is in control of owners who are strictly looking to manage it, and squeeze whatever can be squeezed from it with a minimum amount of effort.

I hope this isn't some extended trend for baseball in downtown. Since baseball at OSU has been in the doldrums for a while, and OU has had both good and bad years, interest in the Bedlam series has been less than "white hot" the last few years. That, combined with the horrendous decision on the part of the conference to "pool up" the Big 12 baseball tournament (and crush attendance in so doing), has made the market for baseball in downtown decidedly less attractive.

The sad irony to me is that the Brick was more or less the cornerstone of the original MAPS project, and it seems to be a fading memory in the light of the Thunder and the broader Bricktown redevelopment effort.
    Let's give the new group a chance. I saw a presentation they made a few months ago and they will have great fan amenities available this season. They have a successful track record with minor league teams in Dayton, Ohio, Lake Erie and with the Yankees Staten Island team. While they are not based in OKC, they seem to have made good efforts in understanding and exploring the OKC community, and I believe they will do the right thing(s).

I can't speak for everyone but when I get free tickets to an event I usually spend more on cocessions than I normally would. I think blangtang makes a goodpoint about it being a new affilitation, so the team will have to work to attract fans. I guess maybe a lot of Redhawk fans were Ranger fans first.

I don't do baseball finance or marketing but I guess there are two basic approaches:

1. Start with an empty stadium and try to make a profit form everyone coming through the door, or
    2. Start with a full stadium and try to make a profit from as many as you can knowing some people will watch for free and not spend a dime.

It appears the Redhawks are going to try option 1. When we lived in Tampa the Tampa Yankees were closer to option 2. Games during the week were $1 per seat (anywhere in the stadium) and cokes and hotdogs were $1 each. They made up for it volume. Weekends were a little more expensive.
    I wonder how many more employees it takes to take care of 4,000 people? As a taxpayer, I feel its the obligation of the tenant to fill the stadium so that people come to Bricktown. Unless, of course, they can prove that abandoning 4,000 seats is better for business. Just my bias opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I wonder how many more employees it takes to take care of 4,000 people? As a taxpayer, I feel its the obligation of the tenant to fill the stadium so that people come to Bricktown. Unless, of course, they can prove that abandoning 4,000 seats is better for business. Just my bias opinion.
    i think that attendance was only over the new capacity number 3 times all of last season .. and it was only a little bit over each time

If it was me I would have three ticket prices:

$5: Sections 107 thru 112
    $1: Sections 103 thru 106 and 113 thru 117
    Free: Everything else in the stadium

After the 7th inning stretch you could move to any open seat.

Actually, maybe the article wasn't 100% accurate. I spoke to a representative with Mandalay and they said the official name of the ballpark itself will remain Bricktown Ballpark (without the AT&T). They're just naming the field itself "Redhawks Field." Similar to Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium and Owen Field, or Boone Pickens Stadium and Lewis Field.

If it was me I would have three ticket prices:

$5: Sections 107 thru 112
    $1: Sections 103 thru 106 and 113 thru 117
    Free: Everything else in the stadium

After the 7th inning stretch you could move to any open seat.
    They tried this before when they were the 89ers. Every seat in the house was like $2. It didn't increase attendance numbers.
    But I do like your idea of every seat other than the lower box seats being free. They'd make their money of concessions.

Here's a look at the seats that are available for sale. You'll notice that the 1st base side upper deck seats have been taken off of the seating map.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    They tried this before when they were the 89ers. Every seat in the house was like $2. It didn't increase attendance numbers.
    But I do like your idea of every seat other than the lower box seats being free. They'd make their money of concessions.

I can understand not being able to give seats away at the old All-Sports stadium. The Brick is a whole different animal in a different place and time. Giving away seats seemed to work for Blazers and they were able to build a very loyal fans base by doing so.

My three tier price chart would follow the old bait and switch maneuver. I get them in the stadium for free and for the last two innings they get to sit in good seats. Pretty soon they get used to the good seats so they spend a $1 to get one for the whole game. After they get used to those seats they start buying the $5 seat.

Pretty soon the $5 seats are selling at 75% capacity and you raise the price of the $1 seats to $2 and the next season the $5 seats go $7. Some people will go back to the $2 seats which you raised the year before but the customer feels like they are saving $5. Then the whole process repeats. On top of all that you make your money off of concessions and merchandise, including the $5 the customer thinks he saved on the seat.

I can tell you that if the Jacksonville Suns were free we would be there for nearly every game.

20. Default Re: Bricktown or Redhawks Ballpark

For 95% of the games the "tarp off" will make the stadium seem crowded and offer a much more festive atmosphere. It sounds weird, but if you see a professional job with how this is done - it's really not all that bad. I say it's worth a chance on improving the atmosphere and density of fans for the game. It's worked for Mandalay before. And hey, if it doesn't work out, they'll change it; it's nothing permanent and is being done to improve the atmosphere with that "big crowd" feeling. That, in turn, helps improve attendance and then - open it back up! I know they have some great plans for Redhawk baseball and the whole ballpark experience. These people know what they're doing. They own and manage minor league baseball's most successful operation in Dayton. I say give them a chance with what they want to do!

Edit: I should have mentioned before (because some of you may be familiar with the team) that Mandalay also owns the Frisco Roughriders in Collin County (TX). Ask people there and many will tell you they get a better baseball experience, and it's greater family fun, at the Frisco games than the Rangers - and no, I'm not kidding.

Reading back through the thread, I just saw where somebody wrote they are based out of Las Vegas. Mandalay is in Los Angeles. Mandalay is the baby of Peter Guber. If you don't know Hollywood - Google that name.

Actually, maybe the article wasn't 100% accurate. I spoke to a representative with Mandalay and they said the official name of the ballpark itself will remain Bricktown Ballpark (without the AT&T). They're just naming the field itself "Redhawks Field." Similar to Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium and Owen Field, or Boone Pickens Stadium and Lewis Field.
    That makes more sense and I hope that is the case.

22. Default Re: Bricktown or Redhawks Ballpark

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    That makes more sense and I hope that is the case.
    I'm sure that's good information about the name from Patrick. Combined with what I wrote in my post before yours - I hope people give Mandalay a chance.

Redhawks Field at [TBA] Bricktown Ballpark = no problemo

Agree

Good! I hope you are correct....

Thread Information