Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Casa Perico

Northwest OKC Casa Perico

Only a couple of references on the board with not any specifics, so I thought I'd provide a mini review.

When I was in town last fall I had dinner at the location on NW 63rd just west of Meridian. I know they have another restaurant at 122nd & Penn as well.

The reason I chose it was pure nostalgia... I grew up in the neighborhood just to the west and used to walk there all the time when it was a Braums. BTW, it still looks like an old Braums on the outside with just a small deck added in the parking lot.

It's a very basic type of place and pretty small. I doubt they could accommodate a sizable group.

The service was incredibly friendly and prompt. I ordered an enchilada combo plate and the rice, beans and entre were all hot and tasty. They also serve complimentary salsa and queso along with chips and tortillas. All were good if nothing particularly special.

I also ordered a Mexican beer and it was presented in a large goblet with lime pulp around the rim... It was delicious!

The place was pretty busy for mid-week and it looked like many were regulars.

All in all, a great little place short on atmosphere but long on fresh, hot food and very good service... All at a reasonable price.

www.casaperico.com

Default Re: Casa Perico

I love this place. One of my favorite all time restaurants. I probably eat here once a week!

What are your favorite menu items, diggyba?

It's so funny that you mention this Pete! My girlfriend and I went there last night to eat. We sat in the booth just to the left of the entrance. My booth seat wobbled a tad too much, lol. But like you say, the service and the food was excellent. Great minds think alike--I too, ordered the enchilada with ground beef. It's the first place ever that I've scarfed down the refried beans. They were soooooooo good. Most places, they're just bland. For my drink I ordered a Negra Modelo, and of course, it was just as you described (minus the salt). My girlfriend is big on Mexican food so I wanted to take her somewhere she had never been. It worked out, she liked it and I did too!

We also endorse Casa Perico. It is in fact the only Mexican restaurant that our son enjoys.

if you like spicy salsa, ask for the hot salsa in the skillet. it's a little different every time, but it's always warm and spicy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    What are your favorite menu items, diggyba?
    I usually get the enchilada dinner, one shredded beef and one cheese with rice and RANCHERO BEANS!!!!!! (If you want your taste buds to explode, get ranchero beans instead of refried!). Best thing on earth right there... I'm salivating as we speak.

Occasionally I get the Fajitas when we go with a big party. Very tasty and juicy!

Hit Pericos every week for lunch...Normally get a tamale and crispy chicken taco

Best sides are papas and veggies...Their papas are excellent

I endorse the Pericos as well.

On par with Ted's.

wwaaaayyyy better than teds.. Cheap entrees and amazing quality.

11. Default Re: Casa Perico

They have the best beans. Very well seasoned. I always get the whole beans instead of refried. Haven't had a meal or service with which I wasn't impressed!
    Still corrupting young minds

Ted's got too many Best Of awards from the Gazette and kinda went downhill. I like these smaller joints that just do what they do. We'll definitely go back!

I eat there about every other week or so. In fact I was there last Friday. I love them because they have an entire vegetarian section to their menu. They also offer several types of beans, papas, corn and other veggies besides the usual rice and refried beans.

My wife and I eat at the N Penn location about every other week. About 5 years ago I ordered the Carnitas De Puerco, my wife took a bite of it and ever since that is all we ever order.

We both love cilantro, and they use plenty of it. They also saute onions and jalapeno peppers together as a side if you ask for them. In my opinion Ted's couldn't chop their peppers for them.

It tastes just like every other Oklahoma City mexican restaurant.

Not hardly!

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
    It tastes just like every other Oklahoma City mexican restaurant.
    Except for the salsa, entrees, sides and sopapillas

Casa Perico is one of my favorite places to eat, and I love that when there's an hour or two wait at all the other popular restaurants, my wife and I can walk in and eat right away at Casa.

I order off the lunch menu, even for dinner. I always get the chicken taco, shredded beef quesadilla and refried beans with papas. Good stuff.

Now stop talking about it so it doesn't get too busy for us to enjoy on a regular basis!

Went last night and had the fajitas for 2 special. Was pretty great.

Not pictured: Warm habanero salsa served in a small iron skillet, which is easily my favorite salsa in OKC.

BTW, the service here (the NW 63rd & Meridian location) is always super friendly and prompt.

Big fan of this place and that habanero salsa. I actually don't make it there as often any more with all of the other options out there, Abels, Rafitas, Taqueria Sanchez.

I love it and it's only a couple of blocks from where I live. Pete, I hope you had someone to share the fajitas for 2 special with. If not, I'm sure you needed a big doggy bag.

I did have a dining companion and we each took home a doggie bag.

Coincidentally, my family went there last night. We liked it quite a bit. Decent Tex-Mex. I also tried that habanero salsa and wow was that hot! I usually love borderline nuclear hot foods, but it was bit much last night.

Nice, cozy joint. We will return.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I also tried that habanero salsa and wow was that hot! I usually love borderline nuclear hot foods, but it was bit much last night.
    Weenie!

25. Default Re: Casa Perico

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I also tried that habanero salsa and wow was that hot! I usually love borderline nuclear hot foods, but it was bit much last night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Weenie!
    If you want to try a really tasty nuclear sauce. Ask for the Ghost Pepper sauce at of all places... Humble Pie.... That's right a pizza joint making an awesome hot sauce!

I have a pretty high tolerance but still usually stay away from the painful ones. This one I can't stop eating no matter how much it's starting to hurt. I keep saying "Ok, no more." and then I'm dipping another bite of pizza in it.

Thread Information