Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Census Data

Default 2010 Census Data

I reviewed the Census Bureau website, and they stated that the Oklahoma 2010 census results for towns and cities will be released sometime this week, so we will be able to see official population results for Oklahoma City and surrounding areas. They also have some new features on the website, displaying percentage growth for all counties, pretty interesting, just thought I would start a thread, so it will be open for discussion, once new data is posted!

Default Re: 2010 Census Data

For those who are interested--here's the link to the interactive map (several states already have their data available):

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/data/

You can also download the data in tabular form at (type 'Oklahoma' into geography to get data on places and counties):

http://factfinder2.census.gov/main.html

I'd expect the data to be available at both links on Thursday, based on the previous release dates. Texas and Illinois will also be released with the Oklahoma data.

In this data set, there will be data for official city/county populations. "Official" MSA/CSA data will not come for another few months; however, we can find the 2010 MSA/CSA numbers easily by just adding the county populations.

I will guesstimate 1.3 mil.& change for OKC MSA.

Correction: data for Oklahoma will be available tomorrow, around 2 pm CST.

My guesses:

OKC - 574,000
    OKC MSA - 1,258,000

My guesses: OKC-576,000 OKC MSA -1,261,000

I never received anything about the census and nobody ever came by my house.

7. Default Re: 2010 Census Data

Would be awesome if the Oklahoman/NewsOK.com puts together something like this interactive map, which was done for Iowa by the Des Moines register and is a little easier to visualize than Census/American FactFinder data: http://data.desmoinesregister.com/dm...stricting-map/

My guess:
    OKC Metro: One Dollar Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    I can't wait! I am going to be looking at small town growth % all week.
    I'm sure one of the biggest of the small towns is holding its breath as it waits to see if it goes over 50,000, which is Stillwater, so Oklahoma can have a new metro. It's will be interesting to see if it can actually do it since its 2009 population estimate was just 46,157. I've seen 2010 population estimates from 48,000 to 53,000.

Paul Monies at the Oklahoman is very good with data.

Maybe someone in your house got the survey in the mail and filled it out.

Data will be populated on the census site sometime tomorrow.

Could Stillwater then be included in Oklahoma City CSA? Oklahoma City-Stillwater-Shawnee CSA?

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Could Stillwater then be included in Oklahoma City CSA? Oklahoma City-Stillwater-Shawnee CSA?
    Honest question: is Stillwater more connected to Tulsa or OKC? They are about equidistant from each other. The Tulsa MSA/CSA and OKC MSA/CSA both abut Payne County..

No. It can be included if the Census Bureau re-defines the CSA to include Stillwater, but they could do that anytime--it doesn't have to be over 50,000 population to be added.

Stillwater is about 65 miles from us compared to Tulsa's 75 miles, but if Stillwater reaches over 50,000, that changes a lot of things, because it will be considered a metro area by the census bureau, I wouldn't be surprised if they did include it in our CSA when its released...That would get us close to 1.4M...

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Honest question: is Stillwater more connected to Tulsa or OKC? They are about equidistant from each other. The Tulsa MSA/CSA and OKC MSA/CSA both abut Payne County..

Good question. I wonder if commuting patterns could suggest a stronger connection to one or the other.

OKC seems to be growing towards Stillwater more than Tulsa is growing towards Stillwater--maybe in the future, this will sway addition of Payne County to OKC's CSA.

Stillwater is about 65 miles from us compared to Tulsa's 75 miles, but if Stillwater reaches over 50,000, that changes a lot of things, because it will be considered a metro area by the census bureau, I wouldn't be surprised if they did include it in our CSA when its released...
    I disagree...just because they define a new metro area does not mean they will automatically "fold" it into a larger one.

One thing is for sure--even if by some surprise Payne County was added to OKC's CSA, it will not be in OKC's official 2010 CSA numbers because the MSA/CSA definitions have already been established.

Good point...

Quote Originally Posted by semisimple View Post
    Good question. I wonder if commuting patterns could suggest a stronger connection to one or the other.

OKC seems to be growing towards Stillwater more than Tulsa is growing towards Stillwater--maybe in the future, this will sway addition of Payne County to OKC's CSA.
    That is true, the west side of Tulsa is not growing very fast and doesn't have any large cities. Sand Springs has around 20,000 people and Mannford and the Lake Keystone communities are around 5,000. Downtown Stillwater to downtown Tulsa is 63 miles via US 51 but it's faster to take the Cimarron Turnpike (US 412) which is 70 miles per Google Maps and you avoid driving through Mannford and Yale. Downtown Stillwater to downtown OKC is 66 miles per Google Maps via I-35/US 51. It could really go either way but Edmond/Guthrie are slowly growing towards Stillwater. I'm surprised Muskogee County is not included in Tulsa's CSA. Muskogee to Tulsa is the same distance as Tulsa-Bartlesville which is included. That would add 74,000 to the CSA. Whichever CSA gets Payne County would add almost 90,000.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    I never received anything about the census and nobody ever came by my house.
    Do you have a mailing address? Supposedly the forms were sent to every one of them (maybe your postal carrier didn't want to lug around the extra weight and ditched it someplace). I got multiples.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    There is little commuting to jobs between Stillwater, Oklahoma City and Tulsa, because city-data.com says 85% of the people in Stillwater who work also live there. Stillwater is much more connected to Oklahoma City than Tulsa for electronic media while OSU seems more connected to Tulsa as reflected by the fact it offers bus service for students from Tulsa.

Default Oklahoma City population is now 579,999

I was reading on the census page that released today that Oklahoma City's population grew to 579,999 in the 2010 census. The Metro areas were not included in this release. The link is located here...

http://2010.census.gov/news/releases...cb11-cn33.html
    Last edited by plmccordj; 02-15-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: clarification

Default Re: Oklahoma City population is now 579,999

That's a 14.6% increase since 2000 (506,132).

From 1990 to 2000, the increase was 15.3%.

Default Re: Oklahoma City population is now 579,999

Seriously, they couldn't add +1 to give us an even 580,000 LOL....but that was from 2010...9 months ago, so its prob well over 580,000

Thread Information