[/template]

Description

Enter description here.
    Latest News

Enter latest news here.
    Milestones

Links

Gallery

Demolition started today on the building that caught fire on New Years Eve. The only urban designed building really remaining on Classen.

Default Re: NW 30th and Classen

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Demolition started today on the building that caught fire on New Years Eve. The only urban designed building really remaining on Classen.
    good. that place was a dump along with the other buildings next to it.

Bummer it couldn't be a renovation, not too many antique retail fronts left on Classen. I understand it though, those buildings were most likely in TERRIBLE shape. I just think it's a bummer because they will likely be replaced by yet another beige stucco shopping center.

Classen does not need another beige stucco strip center. That is not what the city had in mind when they graced that district with Classen Blvd improvements. There are other districts and communities that would love to have those kinds of improvements on the main drag.

The new center to be built will probably be very similar to the Sun Moon Plaza (23rd and Western) and the Sun Moon Investments Plaza (26th and Classen) considering they are all owned by the same person. Here is a picture from the county assessor of the 26th & Classen property:

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assess...55400001sA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    The new center to be built will probably be very similar to the Sun Moon Plaza (23rd and Western) and the Sun Moon Investments Plaza (26th and Classen) considering they are all owned by the same person. Here is a picture from the county assessor of the 26th & Classen property:

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assess...55400001sA.jpg
    The Sun Moon Investments Plaza is an absolute pile of dung, not unlike the Sun Moon Plaza is turning out to be.

I wonder what the name will be...not that it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Have these concerns been brought up to the planning department, planning commission or city council? I wouldn't mind going to a meeting and voicing this concern if it hasn't been done yet. This kind of development is going not only hurt the area, but could set a dangerous precedent for the way our district funds are allowed to be leveraged.
    The Planning Department is well aware of the concerns. Classen, from NW 23rd to NW 30th, is in a design review district. The Urban Design Commission has approved most of the past demolition, but the current make-up of the Commission is much, much less apt to approve further demolition. The NW 30th & Classen buildings were originally denied demolition approval, but when they came back with a new proposal, they were approved because the new building maintains mass at the street front.

I thought it was approved because of the fire

Oh Yea, I can't wait to see what the "Sun Moon Car Wash" will look like. Coming soon to the corner of 27th and Classen, next door to Master Cleaners.

I'm fine with the development along classen. Lots of money is being spent there, and like it or not, those new building are a major improvement in regards to what was there previously.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Thank you for that clear reply. I suspected that this fell in a design review district. Considering any development trends in this district, do you expect a shift away from this style of construction?
    Not at this time. To be blunt, the area has seen generally one architect working on almost all of the major developments, and his main style is concrete tilt-up with exterior finish like stucco or just paint on the concrete. The Urban Design guidelines (and regulations) do not contain specific material requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Not at this time. To be blunt, the area has seen generally one architect working on almost all of the major developments, and his main style is....
    Wow, interesting.

I dont see an issue with "another beige stucco strip center". If they built it similar to the other sun moon places it will still look a lot better than any of the other crumbing strip malls on classen.

That building was an eyesore before it burned down.

Took these shots of the demolition the other day. Sad to see a historic urban building go, but it was in pretty sad shape. Hopefully we'll get a decent urban project to replace it. Classen has had about 5 demolitions in the last 3-4 months.

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    I dont see an issue with "another beige stucco strip center". If they built it similar to the other sun moon places it will still look a lot better than any of the other crumbing strip malls on classen.

That building was an eyesore before it burned down.
    I know this is a shocking concept in Oklahoma, but you don't have to tear something down just because it's vacant...

Although the buildings were an eyesore, they could have been rehabbed and would have looked great. They would have added a lot of character to that street.

18. Default Re: NW 30th and Classen

I really have a hard time believing that those particular buildings could have been salvaged economically. Come on, not everything can be saved and those buildings were not in bad shape, but horrible shape.

I've seen the building plans that will replace it. It was under the Urban Design Commission agenda either last month or two months ago. I'm not seeing on the OKC.GOV if they keep an archive of past agenda's for the UDC, but it doesn't seem so. I believe the plans called for two structures brought to the street with a buffer of parking like the current layout has. I think it was stone and stucco.

multistory or just one level?

Is that where the Original Starwinds location was?

Quote Originally Posted by Jettmiester View Post
    Is that where the Original Starwinds location was?
    Yep.

Thanks, that is so sad, loved that buidling. Loved that place. Starwinds was never the same after it moved to their newer location on Penn. Guess they just fizzled out of business after that.

They are not making much progress here, it is full of weeds. What happened? They sure tore it down fast, but then stopped.

Has anything been built here?

Nope

Thread Information