Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 96 12345651 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossroads Mall

Patrick Guest

Default Crossroads Mall gets new anchor

Well, you heard it hear first when mranderson provided the information a few months back. Anyways, it finally came out in the paper today. Hopefully this announcement will re-jumpstart Crossroads Mall. The mall has really been suffering on the old Wards end. The south side really needs a good strong mall. Too bad Macerich company wasn't planning a complete mall renovation. It sure needs one....bad!

------------
    "Crossroads fills empty anchor spot
    By Tricia Pemberton
    The Oklahoman

After three years with an empty anchor spot, Crossroads Mall is getting a new tenant.
    Steve & Barry’s University Sportswear is taking both levels of the 160,000-square-foot store left vacant by Montgomery Ward in 2001.

Construction already has started at the site, with an anticipated opening of Nov. 24, said Christi Parks, marketing manager for Crossroads Mall.

The store will be the first entry into Oklahoma for the privately held company based in Port Washington, N.Y.

“Having a vacant anchor spot has been a negative for the mall, so naturally we’re very excited, and to have them open the first store in Oklahoma at Crossroads Mall is especially nice,” Parks said.

Alan Karo, chief marketing officer with Steve & Barry’s, said the company offers casual sportswear for the entire family.

“The grand opening price point will be $8.98 or less with merchandise quality that will astound people,” Karo said.

“We think that we’ll bring a whole new meaning to apparel retailing to the fine folks in Oklahoma City, and feel that once they shop with us they’ll come back again and again because they won’t be able to believe the quality at such low prices.”

The retailer also is promising 150 jobs, and will hold a recruitment fair Monday in the mall, Karo said.

Parks said the entire picture is “a real positive for the south side of Oklahoma City.”

Steve & Barry’s has 48 stores in 20 states with plans to open 15 more this year in five additional states, including stores in Dallas and Wichita, Kan.

“We think that as part of our expansion plans into the Southwest, Oklahoma is a perfect place to be and Oklahoma City is the perfect place to start out in the state.

And Crossroads Mall, specifically, is terrific with the geo-demographics right in line with where we perform well,” Karo said.

The company is looking at other locations in Oklahoma, but is not ready to disclose where, Karo said. "

2. Default Re: Crossroads Mall gets new anchor

At least Oklahoma City beat Dallas in getting this chain. Occasionally, we ARE first.

Default Re: Crossroads Mall gets new anchor

Great news! About Oklahoma City getting something first than Dallas/Ft. Worth reminds me that Norman was to get the first North American plant from Albon Engineering and Manufacturing PLC of the UK. They were gonna build a plant in the business park down here. Is that in the process of being bult or has it already been built? As I understood, it was going to bring plenty of high-paying jobs.

OUman

Patrick Guest

Default Re: Crossroads Mall gets new anchor

That's a good qustion....I'll check into it!

Jay Guest

Default Crossroads Mall Managment Crying About I-240-I-35 rebuild

On Friday Channel 9 covered a story on the growing concerns about the I-35/I-240 interchange rebuild.

Currently ODOT is proposing a dallas style deck ramp system like the one at Memorial and LHP.

To do this they will need to do the following demolish an apartment complex, several houses, and several businesses around the interchange and permantly close Pole Road.

This construction is not going start until 2007. Of course Crossroads is crying crocodile tears again claiming they will lose business.

Once again Crossroads is presented with a golden oppurtuniity to close the mall and do a rebuild/remodel. I think it is safe to say Pole road will close and Crossroads' crying will fall on deaf ears.

ODOT knows that mall is dying and the needs of the traffic flow and public safety will always come before a desperate attempt to save a dying mall.

I think the community should convince Crossroads Management to do a remodel. This could take place during the interchange rebuild.

I say clear the entire neighborhood around SE 66th St. Create a new southside residential,shopping and entertainment district that would stretch from the mall to Shields.

Crossroads could close the mall entirely or close down in phases. The anchors could remain open if they desired.

I think a mills style outlet mall would be perfect for Crossroads. All you would have to do is add on a wing or two and change the parking from surface to garages in one or two areas.

The time to act is now. If we wait until the rebuild Crossroads will close. The chain stores are slowly leaving one by one, and it's just a matter of time before Foley's, Dillards, or JcPenney moves or closes thier Crossroads stores.

If I were a betting man my bet would be Foley's will be the first to go.

Default Re: Crossroads Mall Managment Crying About I-240-I-35 rebuild

I don't blame Crossroads Mall management, they've had their hands full getting customers back from all that construction on I-35. Closing Pole Road would be pretty bad, to say the least.

The proposed interchange is like the current I-44/I-40 interchange, w/ multilevel ramps.

OUman

bmrsnr Guest

Has anyone seen any plans for this new interchange? I know they held a public meeting where designs were shown and questions taken. I just wasn't sure if we could see the new interchange online anywhere? Thanks.

8. Default Re: Crossroads Mall Managment Crying About I-240-I-35 rebuild

Although not a good view, one of the newscasts had a shot of them on a report.

By the way. Do yopu know what Crossroads management and the Oklahoma City Airport trust have in common? They are both too blind to see what they need to do to imporve things.

9. Default Re: Crossroads Mall Managment Crying About I-240-I-35 rebuild

How is closing pole road goingto hurt the mall. There is more thaqn one way to get into the mall. All the people would have to do is go up to 66th exit turn left and then turn into the mall. Going th epole road exit has proven to me many times its a pain cause at the same time there are others taking that exit as other are coming on from 35. They (odot) has said from research that that exit has had trouble in the past from this problem. So I think they should close it but should look at the possiablty of redoing that area for a exit from 35 to pole raod to go the mall and avoid getting on 240 only to have to exit right back off again to get to pole road. There are other options but odot is looking at the cheapest fastest way to get that interchange done and completed.

10. Default Re: Crossroads Mall Managment Crying About I-240-I-35 rebuild

The Pole road exit is the only entrance to the mall from 240. As one of the thousands of people who live close to 240, and west of 35, it is faster to exit Pole road and go to the mall than to take 35 or even Shields to SE 66, then enter. So, for that reason, I understand the mall management's concern for not wanting to close Pole road. An entrance from 240 is very much needed. Possibly make it a deck on the stack.

Now to address the stack. Stacked entrance and exit ramps on freeways have been around a lot longer than when Dallas started using them. It is not a "Dallas style" ramp. In fact, if any city can take credit, it would be Los Angeles. The home to the first freeway. The Pasadena Freeway. (that freeway does not use stacks. However, it is the first freeway in the United States) The stack is a wonderful idea. All 240 exits need one. Yes, that is expensive. However, so are traffic accidents... especially fatal ones.

11. Default Re: Crossroads Mall Managment Crying About I-240-I-35 rebuild

I had the the Dungeon Ride set up back in 2003 when the S.E. 66 street exit was closed for construction during the fall and winter. (The manager of the mall mentioned to me back then about the I-240/Pole road thing as well).
    I spoke with the mall manager and several tenants during the time frame of contruction of I-35 and all said their sales/attendance dropped around 20% just because 66th street/I-35 exit was closed and shoppers avoiding traffic from construction.
    If Pole road does get shut down, there will be more problems/traffic on 66th street exit.
    But of course not all the hustle is coming from the mall. All those other shops in that corner strip will be effected as well not to mention the 2 movie theaters, resturants and hotel. The media won't mention much on their impact because the impact is much bigger for the mall.
    I would hate to take 20% loss on my paycheck.

Dungeon Master

i think macerich is probaby using the interchange as a scapegoat seeing that crossroads is an eyesore screaming for attention (and a remodel).

Crossroads is simply looking for others to blame. Noone wants to go to that mall anyway.

I think OklaCity75 said it best, rebuild/remodel Crossroads or... Crossroads and macerich need to quit their b**ching.

Mr. Swenson, Senior Manager of Crossroads simply needs to quit crying like a baby and step up and get macerich to remodel this place they call their mall. They think just cause they spent $1M on their center court remodel, they can still compete with other area mall. Wake up.

14. Default Re: Crossroads Mall Managment Crying About I-240-I-35 rebuild

Let mall management cry. That's what they get for leaving that joke of a mall neglected. The property is ugly at best, and unkempt. It is a complete eyesore. Perhaps that mall will finally close and they'll raze it at turn it into something useful, more appealing. Then perhaps good shopping will finally return downtown. We need a new interchange at I-35/I-240 anyway.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Patrick Guest

Seems like mall management always finds someone to blame. For years now, construction has been ongoing on I-35, and it isn't until recently that construction has affected mall traffic. What about back in the 80's was booming and they were just starting the widening project on I-35? Why didn't they complain then?

I-44 doesn't provide the greatest access to Penn Square Mall......the west bound side has an off ramp that comes out directly in front of the mall, but the east bound side exits off and directs you over to Classen, completely out of the way of the mall. Mall management at Penn Square could make the same complaint that they don't have decent traffic flow from the interstate.

Well, as you know, it doesn't seem to hurt Penn Square any.

If someone wants to make the mall a destination, they're going to find a way to get there. Crossroads Blvd. is a great alternative.

The real reason people aren't going to Crossroads is becaue the place looks like a dungeon. Sorry to steal a phrase from a new member, but our very own Dungeon Master could turn the entire place into a Dungeon, and he wouldn't have to spend a lot of money.
    The place has become a real eyesore over recent years, and mall management has done little to fix it.

While Quail Springs and Penn Square have spent millions to revamp their malls, Crossroads hasn't had an answer. What's killing Crossroads isn't highway problems. No, instead what's killing Crossroads is pure mismanagement.

16. Default Re: Crossroads Mall Managment Crying About I-240-I-35 rebuild

Well then maybe crossroads could clean up and make it look better including the inside, adn maybe they Odot could make a exit off 35 to pole road to crossroads. Kinda like the one they have now but not that you have to exit to 240 then exit back off again to pole road. Maybe that would be a worthy idea, then they couldn't gripe about not haveing traffic come in, but of course the mall exit would have to be built first then close pole road or nobody would get anywhere. I have quit going to crossroad just the fact of the constrution was the most of it plus its a drive for me to get there when I can just go to sonner fashion and enjoy there total mall renovation. And I think they are still adding new shops and renovating the inside. ALthough sonner fashion parking lot could handle a makeover and clean up but hte mall and inside its self to me is nice and I like it.

IMO, Crossroads made a big mistake by not incorporating the theater into the mall, ala Quail Springs. At least, QS eventually go it right after having a similar arrangement when they first opened.

That mall is really in sad shape and since it's so visible from the freeways, is a black eye for the whole city.

Sadly, I worked there as a college student at Orbach's... Yes, there was a time when the mall was home to several up-scale tenants.

Keith Guest

The sad thing is, I live in south OKC, about 10 minutes from Crossroads, and I shop at Penn Square Mall. The only reason I have had to go to Crossroads, is when I need to go see my son, because he works at the Chik-Fil-A in the mall. Even he has been telling me that the mall has been real slow and that business is way down.

It's really pitiful to drive around the mall and to see all of the empty parking places, and the empty stores. It seems at times that there are more people at the movie theaters than at the mall. They can spend all they want to on the inside of the mall, however, it still doesn't change the ugly on the outside.

Crossroads sufffers very bad management, because with a little good investment and good business sense that mall should be booming. Herritage Park Mall in MWC is seriously lagging, leaving the eastside high and dry. There is no other competion for a good 10 or 12 miles (Isn't Crossroads the only mall in Oklahoma County south of I-40?). Westmoore is exploding in income and population growth. With all of these positives, any real estate investor with a speck of intelligence should be falling head over heel to keep that mall in tip-top shape. Instead, it has suffered terribly. In addition, its the first big mall that people coming up from DFW via 1-35 will see. What a horrible way to greet outsiders! In any event, the intersection at 1-35 and 1-240 is little more than an outdated 1970's cloverleaf made for the 1970's and should have been gone a long time ago. If road construction is the bullet that kills an entire mall despite the horrendous traffic around Penn Square and Quail Springs, then so be it. Maybe then somebody with a mind could buy that place and make it a halfway decent mall.

20. Default Re: Crossroads Mall Managment Crying About I-240-I-35 rebuild

The best option may be to just go through and start over from scratch. The trend nationally anyway is away from classic mall setups to open air "lifestyle" centers. Two such projects include The Shops at La Cantera in San Antonio and The Shops at Fallen Timbers in Toledo OH.

http://www.generalgrowth.com/propert...en_timbers.htm

http://www.generalgrowth.com/properties/ndCantera.htm

http://www.leviscommons.com/

Jay Guest

I am going to look into my crystal ball and make a prediction for Crossroads.

Within the next 5 years a major retail development will be announced for the Bricktown/Downtown OKC area. This development will be a major shopping district that will attract national retailers that already exist in OKC as well as new retailers.

Crossroads will lose two of thier anchor stores and several smalller stores to this new shopping district.

Major retail and grocery stores are coming to downtown. The only thing holding this development back is a lack of housing. As soon sufficent housing is built downtown the retailers will start building. Mark my words major retail shopping will be back downtown very soon.

If anyone is interested, there's a link to the propsed design on ODOT's web site under the "Meetings" section

Looks like the Pole Rd exit is a goner, as well as a really shady looking apartment complex on the NW side.

Here's that image:

Patrick Guest

Sorta resembles the Ft. Smith junction. It definitely looks nice on paper.

Any idea what the mall circulation route is?

From the image, I still don't understand why they couldn't keep Pole Rd. open.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oklacity75
    I am going to look into my crystal ball and make a prediction for Crossroads.

Within the next 5 years a major retail development will be announced for the Bricktown/Downtown OKC area. This development will be a major shopping district that will attract national retailers that already exist in OKC as well as new retailers.

Crossroads will lose two of thier anchor stores and several smalller stores to this new shopping district.
    I'll be curious to see if downtown has that big of a draw. Seems like most of the department stores like to keep a northside and southside location, so the draw from a downtown location retail complex would have to be enough for some of those stores to give up their south side location.

By the way, at Crossroads all of the department stores own their own buildings...so that's another issue. Dillards has quite a bit of money wrapped up in their 3 story facility there.

If Crossroads is going to come back as a mall, mall management will need to invest at least $30 million to completely overhaul the inside and out.

I can't see Macerich Properties doing this, but forward thinking would come up with a plan like this.....they could consider demolishing the inside concourse, turn it all into nicely tree-lined roads, parks, and parking, and turn it all into a 2 story open air shopping center.

Crossroads may be too far gone to save as a mall in its current format.

Thread Information