Widgets Magazine
Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: County Jail

Default Re: County Jail

FWIW, I lived across the street from the jail for 5 years and never had a single issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    FWIW, I lived across the street from the jail for 5 years and never had a single issue with it.
    More of a psychological thing I think. In theory it should be one of the safest neighbors to have. Anyone who escapes from jail is not going to linger around, and anyone who is avoiding jail will go somewhere more quiet for their dirty deeds.

It should be downtown.

4. Default Re: County Jail

Or an industrial area.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Or an industrial area.
    ding ding ding we have a winner ..

It absolutely will not be downtown as they are not building a tower model. It will take up a large amount of land and downtown wont be it. Move it to crossroads or an industrial area but there are a ton of locations that are in the central area of town without disrupting development downtown.

The large vacant lot to the west of Acme Brick on the SW corner of NW 10th & Villa would be fairly close to an ideal site, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    The large vacant lot to the west of Acme Brick on the SW corner of NW 10th & Villa would be fairly close to an ideal site, IMO.
    I agree. Appears it isn't as large as they want.

HangryHippo Guest

It’d be an improvement over Crossroads…

It looks like they are going to reconsider potential sites: https://freepressokc.com/bids-reopen...k-county-jail/

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    The Free press article says the site must be 40 to 80 acres and 1000ft from any school. Acme site is 20 acres IIRC and next door to Positive Tomorrows elementary school

possible locations for the jail will be limited to two Oklahoma City-owned properties near Will Rogers World Airport, the existing location of the Oklahoma County jail downtown, and a 71-acre property located at 1901 E Grand Blvd., offered for sale by Willowbrook Investments LLC and Garrett & Company Resources LLC
    https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...t/70973539007/

if i was del city i wouldn't like the E grand location ..

This is great news. I am pulling for the airport location by the Federal transfer facility. It is close enough to the center of the city to be convenient for most individuals. We are fortunate to have a lot of land around the airport that can be developed. Unless I am taking crazy pills it is also more isolated from residential areas than the other locations. The major thing I would like to see for the facility is a guaranteed ride for formerly incarcerated individuals to either the bus station, or a place like Palomar that can assist them with vocational and housing services. Some of the unhoused individuals in OKC are a result of mental health issues and that is a much bigger problem to overcome. If we could as a city work to reduce or better yet eliminate homelessness for previously incarcerated individuals, I believe it would go a long way towards creating a more stable society with better outcomes for our fellow citizens.

This is no different than the behind the scenes that happened with the new DT arena. I told you all when all the sites were announced that this was 1000% ending up in South OKC. Shocker….

Quote Originally Posted by jdg78 View Post
    This is no different than the behind the scenes that happened with the new DT arena. I told you all when all the sites were announced that this was 1000% ending up in South OKC. Shocker….
    what location would be better?

Many people live out by the airport, I’m not happy about adding another facility personaly and I don’t see this as being anywhere near the center of the city of county for that manner.

There were many locations “considered”. Put it on Broadway extension for all I care or up around Lake Hefner. The point is South OKC is the catch all for all of the crappy projects no one wants in there back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Many people live out by the airport, I’m not happy about adding another facility personaly and I don’t see this as being anywhere near the center of the city of county for that manner.
    The airport is bordered by major highways to the North and East as well as Industrial zoning to the West and South. Oklahoma county services Bethany, Choctaw, Del City, Edmond, Harrah, Mid West City, Nichols Hills, Nicoma Park, Oklahoma City, Spencer, The Village, Warr Acres, Arcadia, Forest Park, Jones, Lake Aluma, Luther, Smith Village, Valley Brook, Woodlawn Park, Newall, and Wheatland. The Airport is centrally located enough to accommodate all these municipalities. It may not be perfectly centered, but with the availability of land it is just about one of the best locations available. The area has some pretty clear physical boundaries that should limit interactions with the local community. We should all push for a program that provides free travel to the bus station or to housing and vocational services.

There were many locations “considered”. Put it on Broadway extension for all I care or up around Lake Hefner. The point is South OKC is the catch all for all of the crappy projects no one wants in there back yard.
    I'm just waiting for one of these north siders to come in and tell you how you are wrong.

Unfortunately as a Southsider myself, I find that what you said tends to be the reality. Sure we get some city money and some projects, but it's never the same quality IMO.

I'm sure someone will tell me wrong and I don't care, because this is my perception and no one has the right to tell me what to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I'm just waiting for one of these north siders to come in and tell you how you are wrong.

Unfortunately as a Southsider myself, I find that what you said tends to be the reality. Sure we get some city money and some projects, but it's never the same quality IMO.

I'm sure someone will tell me wrong and I don't care, because this is my perception and no one has the right to tell me what to think.
    what great projects does the "north" side get??

I mean hundreds of millions of dollars of projects at the airport don't count i guess?

The airport is much more of its own thing than belonging to the south side, especially in this case. It is separated from all areas to the north and east by two limited-access highways, and to the south and west is basically farmland and sprawling McMansions, save for one large subdivision at SW 119th and Meridian.

I don't really see what's wrong with it ending up in a fairly isolated industrial area next to Trosper off Grand just southeast of downtown or near the airport where we already have a federal prison facility. I also don't even really consider either of those "South" OKC. The airport is western OKC if anything and the grand location is only about a mile as the crow flies from Okana.

Stick it directly at the north or south end of one of the runways where no one would ever want to build residential. Plenty of space on both ends and its all in directly in the flight path and not overly desirable for any other kind of development.

The jail should not be built south of the river as south okc is stigmatized enough already. It is the perception that it is ok to dump undesirable projects in this area that is the issue. I have had coworkers from north okc refuse to venture south of the river or express fear at the thought of coming south. This happened even when south OKC was the safest part of the city. Many northsiders flat out refuse to dine or shop in south okc. Another person told me as a teenager their father forbade them from dating southside boys.

Maps has essentially stopped at the shore of the river even though it was promoted for the benefit of the entire city. A couple of senior centers ( one of which has been under contstruciton for 2+ years) is about all south OKC has received out of what a billion+ dollars. The Maps 3 AIrport/ S. May trail which was in the plan and used to get south okc votes was abandoned in favor of trails north of the river Apparently only one of the Maps 3 subcommitte memebers was from South OKC - this tells you Maps is not for SOKC. Ward 5 is the only ward in the city without trails. The city of OKC underserves and underfunds south okc.

The airport area is surrounded by neighborhoods. Public transportation is extremely limited in south okc. Is the proposed BRT between the airport and downtwon going to stop at the jail?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    The jail should not be built south of the river as south okc is stigmatized enough already. It is the perception that it is ok to dump undesirable projects in this area that is the issue. I have had coworkers from north okc refuse to venture south of the river or express fear at the thought of coming south. This happened even when south OKC was the safest part of the city. Many northsiders flat out refuse to dine or shop in south okc. Another person told me as a teenager their father forbade them from dating southside boys.

Maps has essentially stopped at the shore of the river even though it was promoted for the benefit of the entire city. A couple of senior centers ( one of which has been under contstruciton for 2+ years) is about all south OKC has received out of what a billion+ dollars. The Maps 3 AIrport/ S. May trail which was in the plan and used to get south okc votes was abandoned in favor of trails north of the river Apparently only one of the Maps 3 subcommitte memebers was from South OKC - this tells you Maps is not for SOKC. Ward 5 is the only ward in the city without trails. The city of OKC underserves and underfunds south okc.

The airport area is surrounded by neighborhoods. Public transportation is extremely limited in south okc. Is the proposed BRT between the airport and downtwon going to stop at the jail?
    Yeah I care a lot more about “what is the best location” than worrying about any perceived stigma (ie…where can it be built on free or cheap and undesirable or at least industrial land that isn’t that close to anything else) . What neighborhoods are on the north side of the runways? There are probably fewer residential units south of the airport (because no one wants to live under a flight path) than there are where the jail is now….and few if anyone considers that “south OKC.”

as far as MAPS goes, there weren’t that many projects in general outside of the core…mainly the senior centers and trails which were also added on the south side.

the airport seems like a great place as far as transportation is concerned because it’s a natural destination for mass transit in the future.

Thread Information