Widgets Magazine
Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: County Jail

1. Default Re: County Jail

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Edmond is the 5th largest city in the state, it is either just under or may have just surpassed the 100,000 population mark this past year in the city limits (not including the thousands that live in far north west OKC, "Fake Edmond" that eat, shop, and dine in Edmond city limits). The city/city leaders need to start embracing the size of the city and reflect infrastructure to serve it.

If a county jail is built in Edmond city limits it would have to probably be built out on I-35 for ease of access, or on the far south side to have access to Broadway Extension and the Turnpike other wise it would seem extremely inefficient.
    Absolutely!! It’s crazy to me how often I hear residents refer to Edmond as a “small town.” I think people’s view of the city would change with 100,000 resident-appropriate infrastructure. They’ve definitely been making some efforts in the past few years.

I think the idea of this getting built in Edmond is not bad, I’m not opposed.

Blog Entries

Default Re: County Jail

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    I’m basing that off of a conversation I had with a mutual friend, a city leader, who said the hope is for the UCO Central Plaza (the 8 story mentioned above) to remain the tallest in Edmond since they don’t approve structures above 5 stories to keep the “small town charm.” I guess the Hilton was the the exception since it’s the hotel connected to the city’s own convention center. It’s also far north, away from central Edmond. But also if the jail facility is one story then it really doesn’t matter.

I was just trying to add a thought as we discussed the likelihood, not make up some argument so I apologize lol! Maybe it could get built in Edmond?
    It’s just that posters tend to post all sorts of misinformation about Edmond. Most of it caricatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine View Post
    Why not just build it in Edmond.
    It would be better south of I-40

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    You can’t build tall in Edmond. But obviously that’s not relevant if it’s a one story facility.
    this is simply not true

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    How about that huge cross on 35
    Imagine all of the churches in Edmond having a competition to build the tallest cross in Edmond. That would be fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Imagine all of the churches in Edmond having a competition to build the tallest cross in Edmond. That would be fun to watch.
    This thread is about the county jail.

https://nondoc.com/2024/01/18/concer...ction-lingers/

While I know nothing about construction, I think I know enough to assume that building on the current site isn't as easy as Jess Eddy and others think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ditm4567 View Post
    https://nondoc.com/2024/01/18/concer...ction-lingers/

While I know nothing about construction, I think I know enough to assume that building on the current site isn't as easy as Jess Eddy and others think it is.
    Just to be clear, he isn't talking about building it exactly where the current jail is....

> “I think we need to do the current jail site,” Eddy told commissioners Friday. “It’s bewildering to me that people say it needs to be a tower. I spoke to the property owner of that large plot north of the jail. He hadn’t been approached but is willing to sell at fair market value. Doesn’t need to make a profit. When I see those kinds of things happening like people saying a tower is necessary, I am befuddled when David L. Moss is two stories and 2,000 beds on 19 acres.”> The present jail site sits on about eight acres. Eddy said about 13 acres would be required to build a two-story jail there. That means the county would be required to purchase land around the jail to create the necessary space. Eddy said he believes it’s possible to acquire up to 36 acres in that part of downtown OKC to build the jail, which would make it closer to the Oklahoma County Courthouse and more centrally located in the population center.

It is also strange that all of the commissioners against using the current jail site seem to just go back to the "there are some major issues" with choosing that site. I don't really know why they dont list out the "major issues" or disclose the "
    huge matrix of trying to make this Rubik’s Cube work as best we can"

Also, this is interesting if true at all:
    “It’s been communicated to me clearly that [a prominent] developer, is the big rich developer in this community who has told everybody behind the scenes, ‘Hell no I want to develop that area,'” Eddy said during Friday’s meeting. “So that’s why the current site hasn’t been vetted or looked at because that is the powerful developer.”

But "District 2 Commissioner Brian Maughan said he hasn’t been warned off the current site by developers"

I read that article today as well and made me think something shady is going on. I imagine there it wouldn’t be the easiest to build near the current jail, but it is super strange that the owner of adjacent property is willing to sale and hasn’t been contacted.

Then you read about a developer and it’s hard not to think something nefarious is going on. Especially when they are wanting to build the jail on the outskirts of the county. Doesn’t pass the smell test as they say.

^

I'm sure it's because all the powers that be in OKC want the jail moved out of downtown.

So stupid to put in in the farthest corner of the county.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsoncrazy View Post
    So stupid to put in in the farthest corner of the county.
    makes a ton of sense actually .... just like Cleveland county did with their jail ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    makes a ton of sense actually .... just like Cleveland county did with their jail ..
    wait i'm confused... isn't the Cleveland County Jail in Norman at like Franklin and Flood?

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    wait i'm confused... isn't the Cleveland County Jail in Norman at like Franklin and Flood?
    right they moved it to that location from downtown norman

right they moved it to that location from downtown norman
    i wouldn't say moving it to a location that basically puts it in the middle of the two largest populated areas in the county is the equivalent of moving the Oklahoma County Jail to a remote corner.

i think the equivalent would have been in the Cleveland County Jail was moved to say Slaughterville. having your County Jail in an location that is basically the average population center for the county is a smart move. that is what Cleveland County Did, that is what Oklahoma County is trying to go from

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i wouldn't say moving it to a location that basically puts it in the middle of the two largest populated areas in the county is the equivalent of moving the Oklahoma County Jail to a remote corner.

i think the equivalent would have been in the Cleveland County Jail was moved to say Slaughterville. having your County Jail in an location that is basically the average population center for the county is a smart move. that is what Cleveland County Did, that is what Oklahoma County is trying to go from
    having it near moore is not relevant in any way ... the transit is between the jail and the county courthouse ... which is in down town Norman .. they moved it to an industrial area .. with rail road tracts to the east ..

it is a 14 min drive between the 2 .

Transit is also from wherever the arrest occurs to the county jail ..

Default No jail will be built here': OKC civil rights leaders sound off

Those wanting to keep Oklahoma County's jail in downtown Oklahoma City were reminded Monday night to draw strength from past struggles to achieve equality.

Marilyn Luper Hildreth, Clara Luper's daughter, and the Rev. John A. Reed told a standing-room-only crowd their past struggles are not unlike the ones Oklahoma County residents living within marginalized communities face today as county officials debate where to build the new jail.
    https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/local/2024/01/31/oklahoma-county-jail-location-leaders-marilyn-luper-hildreth-john-reed-speak-out/72311945007/[

We're not gonna take it.

Default Re: No jail will be built here': OKC civil rights leaders sound off

what a false narrative and a joke .. the NE side has actually been largely EXCLUDED from the new site search ... and yet there is still this ... (and lets be clear from at least 2 on the council this is not really about the new jail .. it is more like why have a jail at all)

The amount on whining about this topic is fairly ridiculous. The location of the jail is not an attack on marginalized communities. This level of complaining can only happen in the first world. You can find plenty of examples of actual oppression of marginalized communities, making this into something it is not does not help solve the problem. The city has a ton of industrial sites, pick one with good road access that is reasonably centrally located and get over it already. Personally, I really liked the airport location, but that was stupidly nixed.

I have always said the old Pull-A-Apart site would be perfect. But I guess will old car juice leaking in the ground for decades its prob contaminated, making it unlivable.

And the whole policy about it needing to be within a 15 minute drive to the courthouse is absurd. I know for a fact a lot of hearings are done now virtually over Zoom, or whatever software they use.

what a false narrative and a joke .. the NE side has actually been largely EXCLUDED from the new site search ... and yet there is still this ... (and lets be clear from at least 2 on the council this is not really about the new jail .. it is more like why have a jail at all)
    I missed when the Reno and MLK site was taken off of the list for tentative locations of the new jail. If it has then you are 100% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine View Post
    I missed when the Reno and MLK site was taken off of the list for tentative locations of the new jail. If it has then you are 100% correct.
    reno and MLK is surrounded by truck stops, industrial facility's and a railroad track to the north .. (with more industrial to the north of the rr tracks)

And Reno and mlk is on the east side. All you have to do is go over a bridge and it’s residential and a school along with multiple churches. It’s only 4 blocks north until you hit residential in the east side and 6 blocks to a school. Now maybe it’s been taken off the list of potential locations and I didn’t see it.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    The amount on whining about this topic is fairly ridiculous. The location of the jail is not an attack on marginalized communities. This level of complaining can only happen in the first world. You can find plenty of examples of actual oppression of marginalized communities, making this into something it is not does not help solve the problem. The city has a ton of industrial sites, pick one with good road access that is reasonably centrally located and get over it already. Personally, I really liked the airport location, but that was stupidly nixed.
    For security reasons, it shouldn't be far away from the courthouse. The airport location, I think was too far. There is plenty of land downtown to build. Costs will be greater, but it is central county infrastructure, so it should be centrally located and close to downtown. It is better when the prisoners can be brought quickly to the courthouse where there are a ton of resources should there be a problem with the transportation. The lawyers need convenient access to their clients.

I lived across the street (at Sycamore) from the jail for 5 years. Aside from the fact that it was always convenient when a friend needed bail, it was never a problem.

Thread Information