Widgets Magazine
Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: County Jail

1. Default Re: County Jail

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I recall it was FSB, formerly known as, Frankfurt-Short-Bruza that was architectural and engineering
    The designers of the jail were HTB and RGDC, two Oklahoma City firms that no longer exist (HTB was merged with another firm and RGDC reorganized). It was built by a venerable Oklahoma firm, Manhattan Construction.

I don’t believe FSB had any involvement whatsoever, but I can’t swear to that.

Default Re: County Jail

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The designers of the jail were HTB and RGDC, two Oklahoma City firms that no longer exist (HTB was merged with another firm and RGDC reorganized). It was built by a venerable Oklahoma firm, Manhattan Construction.

I don’t believe FSB had any involvement whatsoever, but I can’t swear to that.
    Thank you for the accurate info. Now I gotta figure out how I got FSB in my mind.

3. Default Re: County Jail

^^^^^^^^^
    FSB was hired to oversee implementation of the first-generation MAPS projects. The jail was at the time very much in the news, with tons of controversy and accusations flying (Channel 5 in particular ran a near-nightly investigative series named “the Money Pit” for instance) to the point where it even made the passage of MAPS uncertain, since the public in general can’t distinguish between municipal vs county government.

FSB’s oversight presence plus the MAPS citizen oversight board and subcommittees were heavily promoted in the media as protection against a jail-type fiasco. It’s easy to see how they could be jumbled up in a person’s distant memory.

4. Default Re: County Jail

I'm generally for bonds to build new things, but I don't trust the current jail trust to do it right. I'll be voting no in this case, but would vote yes if the current trust was restructured with new people who are less sketchy.

5. Default Re: County Jail

We need a new jail facility no matter what. I like the idea of the new jail having a 400 bed mental health wing that will also serve as a diversion to treatment for those addicted. This is probably our one chance to get this fixed without raising our taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    NW expressway has a lot of left turns

pretty sure OHP meant two or more lanes because if it only applies to more than two lanes that would mean a lot of I-40/35/44 doesn't apply to that law.
    The above KFOR link states more than 2 lanes. Not 2 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    The above KFOR link states more than 2 lanes. Not 2 or more.
    Yeah I know, I was only thinking of more than two lanes going in one direction. I'm sure they meant both lanes as in I-40 having mostly 4 lanes, two going one direction and two going the opposite direction otherwise it wouldn't make any sense.

It's early, but it looks like the bond measure for the new jail is going to pass quite handedly. Supposing it does pass, I wonder what kind of time frame we're looking at.

Well it does looks like it will pass. Good deal. Hopefully a site not too far away from downtown is chosen but we all know BS will storm in here with the news of them choosing a site by the landfill if that’s what they do which wouldn’t surprise me lol. Hopefully they get this going sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Well it does looks like it will pass. Good deal. Hopefully a site not too far away from downtown is chosen but we all know BS will storm in here with the news of them choosing a site by the landfill if that’s what they do which wouldn’t surprise me lol. Hopefully they get this going sooner rather than later.
    The goal should be the absolute cheapest land possible that is close enough to down town.

I don’t care where that is at all. But they need to spend the min about on the land and the max amount on the building

Is Swadleys going to get this concession contract as well?

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Is Swadleys going to get this concession contract as well?
    Maybe some of their executive staff will have the opportunity to be live-in managers for it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Maybe some of their executive staff will have the opportunity to be live-in managers for it.
    Haha, hope so, as long as they have nothing to do with building it.

Does the County own the land and the building in the current location.

Yes, the county does own that property. It's a bit over 7 acres.

Blog Entries

Looks like they could build in the current parking lot area something less than 6 stories tall; include some the related projects MAPS 4; then demolish the current structure.

Blog Entries

Raleigh, NC Wake County Detention Center: https://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10996414/

19. Default Re: County Jail

Just playing some more comparison games.

The Dallas County jail is about twice or 3 times the size of the OK County jail for a population that's about 3 times the size of the OK County population. It's in the barren outskirts of downtown Dallas. If you've never been south of downtown Dallas, forget that never ending sprawl you see on the north side. You go south of downtown and you might as well be in a different state its so vastly different.

Tulsa County jail, on the other hand, is a sprawling low structure. Think more old-school type jail. So it takes up a LOT more land. It's hard to gauge the structure size, but it appears to me to be about the equivalent of maybe half the OK country structure.

I have no idea of what sort of services are housed in either of these structures, but we know that the OK Country structure is over populated and doesn't offer much in the way of ANY services to its occupants. So my question is, is it sized properly? Are we causing our own overcrowding with our laws? The reason for asking is that when it moves, we're going to have to have the funds to build it properly or we're going to be back in the same mess again. And at some point, someone has to decide if taller means less exterior costs or does low rise mean it's easier to manage? I don't know. And where it goes, is really going to have to make that call for us too. My major concern with this is that as everyone is so angry about the way the craptacular Sherriff's office managed the place, that they try to punish the department by giving them the cheap on the funding, which will only contribute to a crappy facility. We need the proper funding and we also need proper oversight managing the place, that's NOT part of the department. If it's a 3rd party, then it would arguably be more objective. So if it says "we need X" then it's (ideally) because they really need it. Not because Whetsell wanted to buy another new ex-military toy that sits and rusts.

20. Default Re: County Jail

removing duplicate

Looks like we could have some possible locations by the end of the summer: https://www.news9.com/story/64435315...ss-his-street-

22. Arts District / Film Row Re: County Jail

Click the agenda link for the 25th. You can see exact locations on #7. I am representing one of the proposals

https://oklahomacounty.legistar.com/...3CE739&Search=

locations

150th between indian meridian and luther rd

Nw corner of I35 and Britton

Midwest blvd and Wilshire

1901 Grand Blvd this is the industrial area just north of trosper golf course

se 29th st and kickapoo turnpike harrah (this is possibly the worst location in a growing residential area )

ne 10th at I35 ( this challenges for the worst location )

5500 lincoln blvd .. north of 63rd east of broadway ext ... ( another poor location )

southwest corner of memorial and hefner parkway(portland) (simply NO)

newcastle road and sw 54th street north of the airport ( this is industrial/airport area and would be a great choice)

In June 2022 Oklahoma County residents voted to approve $260 million in bonds to build a new detention center.

The existing facility is located on the western edge of downtown Oklahoma City and since it opened in 1991 it has been plagued by plumbing and flooding issues, escapes, and multiple deaths.

Earlier this year, the county solicited proposals for a new site for the jail. The criteria included being located in Oklahoma County, consisting of 40 to 80 acres and no closer than 1,000 feet of any public or private elementary or secondary school.

Once a new location is selected and a new facility constructed, it is expected the existing jail would be demolished and the 7 acres redeveloped.

On the agenda for the April 25th meeting of the Citizens Bond Oversight Board and 9 locations that are being considered (the 1-10 numbering is directly from the published agenda):

1. 59 acres of land located at 17501 NE 150th Street and offered for sale by David and Toni Hennessey;

2. 69 acres of land located at the northwest corner of I-35 and Britton Road and offered for sale by Oakes Technology Park, LLC;

3. Between 80 and 132 acres of land located south of the intersection of Midwest Boulevard and Wilshire Boulevard and offered for sale by the Ted Eckroat and Pat Eckroat Revocable Living Trust;

4. 71 acres of land located at 1901 E. Grand Boulevard and offered for sale by Willowbrook Investments LLC and Garrett & Company Resources LLC;

5. 63 acres of land located at SE 29th Street west of the Kickapoo Turnpike and offered for sale by Tsalagi Development LLC, Randy Goodman, Managing Member;

6. 89 acres of land located at NE 10th and I-35 and offered for sale by the Commissioners of the Land Office and the Oklahoma City Water Trust;

7. 133 acres of land located at 5500 Lincoln Boulevard and offered for sale by the Commissioners of the Land Office.”

8. 51 acres of land located on the southwest corner of Portland Avenue and Memorial Road and offered for sale by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation.

10. 192 acres of land located between South Newcastle Road and SW 54th Street and offered for sale by the Oklahoma City Airport Trust.

of these options

4 and 10 clearly would be the best choices ..

i think the county owns enough land to not have to acquire land for this .. not sure why that is not an option

Thread Information