Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: County Jail

Blog Entries

Default Re: County Jail

A new county jail is a concern which needs to be addressed; sooner we get started the better. If a temporary sales tax is needed, let's do it. We want a safe community, there are dedicated individuals who will continue to protect our community.

Let's support PUBLIC SAFETY (Police & Fire); supply them the environment & equipment they need to give us a better community.

2. Default Re: County Jail

I still say have Whetsell offer his resignation as part of the ballot and everyone will vote for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    A new county jail is a concern which needs to be addressed; sooner we get started the better. If a temporary sales tax is needed, let's do it. We want a safe community, there are dedicated individuals who will continue to protect our community.

Let's support PUBLIC SAFETY (Police & Fire); supply them the environment & equipment they need to give us a better community.
    Yes, let's support public safety. The "building last, not first" solution is actually exactly what we need. The last thing we need is to waste an exorbitant sum on another absurdly expensive facility (in relation to our peer cities) and then avoid making public policy changes that will go much further toward enhancing overall public safety.

We're not avoiding the building, but we also can't avoid the policy. The building has honestly been mostly fixed except for the issues that relate to the glass walls separating the guards and the high-rise nature, which is weird for a jail. This also buys us probably 10 years during which hopefully the county administration can become more efficient and inspire more confidence over time (ie., Whetsel retiring).

The jail in a community being X larger, or X newer, does not make that community Y safer. That's just not how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    The building has honestly been mostly fixed except for the issues that relate to the glass walls separating the guards and the high-rise nature, which is weird for a jail. This also buys us probably 10 years during which hopefully the county administration can become more efficient and inspire more confidence over time (ie., Whetsel retiring).
    Would that fix requirements mandated bY the federal government which would prevent a takeover? That sounds too simplistic to be true.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/544...0County%20jail

It seems that glass walls are not the only issue.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/544...0experts%20say

Building a larger jail for Oklahoma County at this point is like giving a raging alcoholic a new liver.

sad, but truth often is.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    Building a larger jail for Oklahoma County at this point is like giving a raging alcoholic a new liver.
    This.

I also wonder how recidivism in Oklahoma County A) compares to state and natl averages (we know Oklahoma is near the top), and B) how it inhibits job creation and economic development, specifically business climate attractiveness.

Newsflash: People in Seattle or Austin don't use less drugs than people in Oklahoma, they just don't have their lives ruined by it. Oklahoma often spits in the wind in terms of being pro-business.

This is one building in the core that I think should be demolished and redeveloped being that I don't see any way to re-purpose it.

That's not news. It's been considered flawed since it opened.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    That's not news. It's been considered flawed since it opened.
    True but this monstrosity needs all the negative press it can get so we can place our inmates in habitats that are humane and safe for the inmates AND the police officers. The inmates are people as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    True but this monstrosity needs all the negative press it can get so we can place our inmates in habitats that are humane and safe for the inmates AND the police officers. The inmates are people as well.
    I'm not sure any jail can be considered safe for inmates or the correctional officers, but I agree that it needs to be replaced. I had an occasion several years ago to go to visit someone who was imprisoned there and I was basically appalled at what I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I'm not sure any jail can be considered safe for inmates or the correctional officers, but I agree that it needs to be replaced. I had an occasion several years ago to go to visit someone who was imprisoned there and I was basically appalled at what I saw.
    I honestly have not been in inside thankfully, but from what I've heard it's really bad.

What I see in that article is the need for more mental health facilities, and absolutely nothing pointing to the need for a new jail..

To be honest I don't care that they want to replace one flawed jail with another jail. There's a better use of $400 million.

What I see in that article is the need for more mental health facilities, and absolutely nothing pointing to the need for a new jail..

To be honest I don't care that they want to replace one flawed jail with another jail. There's a better use of $400 million.
    We do need more mental health facilities, but we also have to have a new jail. All of the reports say as much as well. Spend 200-400 million on a new one and get it done and over with.

If our ground water wasn't such a problem I would ay dig down, not build up. really limits access points. Natural tone LED lighting to prevent any problems with lack of sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    If our ground water wasn't such a problem I would ay dig down, not build up. really limits access points. Natural tone LED lighting to prevent any problems with lack of sunlight.
    Have heard the same sentiment for solving capitol structural issues. Won't ever happen though. The temptation to go really deep and then recover might be more than most could bear.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Have heard the same sentiment for solving capitol structural issues. Won't ever happen though. The temptation to go really deep and then recover might be more than most could bear.

I have a great idea... Instead of building another jail why not build a mental/drug facility to help a very large percentage of people that they are locking up for non violent crimes? Wouldn't that be money better spent? Seriously. I wonder if there is a site somewhere that list non violent offenders VS the real criminals that should be in jail?

I bet if they did send drug abusers and mental offenders to a specialized facility they wouldn't need nearly as large of a jail house. It just doesn't make much sense to keep doing things the way they are doing them. There has to be a better way.

There was local news, years ago, that homeless men and women would call 911 from the pay phone outside the rescue mission to get arrested and spend a night or two in county in warmth and with some food. Having been to county I can easily say it's no ritz carlton. But the city never ended up prosecuting anyone because it was a waste of money, and they'd only end up back in county.

21. Default Re: County Jail

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    I have a great idea... Instead of building another jail why not build a mental/drug facility to help a very large percentage of people that they are locking up for non violent crimes? Wouldn't that be money better spent? Seriously. I wonder if there is a site somewhere that list non violent offenders VS the real criminals that should be in jail?

I bet if they did send drug abusers and mental offenders to a specialized facility they wouldn't need nearly as large of a jail house. It just doesn't make much sense to keep doing things the way they are doing them. There has to be a better way.
    The biggest issue with that, IMO, is the reality that you can't sentence someone to rehabilitation and have a high probability of success. Unless or until the individual wants help out of their addiction AND is able to proactively assist in their own recovery, then they will continue in their addiction.

Regardless, we do need a new jail. I'm over there on a regular basis meeting with inmates and the conditions are horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    We do need more mental health facilities, but we also have to have a new jail. All of the reports say as much as well. Spend 200-400 million on a new one and get it done and over with.
    All of whose reports? I just don't have enough confidence in giving the County that kind of project. This should involve the city, state lawmakers, and the justice dept.

All of whose reports? I just don't have enough confidence in giving the County that kind of project. This should involve the city, state lawmakers, and the justice dept.
    I agree with this.

As far as the reports go, I was talking about the news articles, the DOJ, etc...

And your confidence increases by blending in city, state, and fed folk with zero skin in the outcome? Not seeing how myself. Too many Babas in the kitchen.

Thread Information