Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: County Jail

1. Default Re: County Jail

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    I can't imagine any part of OKC wanting the jail relocated to their part of town. It needs to be in close proximity to the courthouse.
    Exactly, great point. I'm trying to think of any other big city that doesn't have a jail in close proximity to it's court system downtown. .... Who wants acres after acres of 1-2 floor jail near them outside of the downtown core? Here in Seattle, the King County Jail (similar size to OKCs) is literally right across the street from King County Courthouse, Seattle Municipal Court and two blocks from Seattle's tallest building. Doesn't seem to be much of an eyesore/problem here and the building itself actually adds to the skyline.

IMO, it's OKC's lack of development around the jail/complex what is bringing property values down there not the jail itself necessarily.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: County Jail

3. Default Re: County Jail

To the point of the Dallas jail, if you're not directly connected to the courthouse and can walk through a tunnel or something to get there, then you're transporting. And if you're transporting, it doesn't really matter if it's a 5 minute or 15 minute drive.

Our County Office building and courthouse are embarrassing as they are now too. To me, I think this would be a good opportunity to create a new County office that IS connected to the jail so that everything is connected.

4. Default Re: County Jail

exactly, move the jail operation to the current Oklahoma County office building and build a new mid/high-rise elsewhere in downtown for the county offices. Also repurpose the existing OK County jail building as additional county offices or sell to the city or feds.

with this we get a low-rise jail that's connected to the courthouse and a repurposed Oklahoma County (jail) building and a new mid/highrise Oklahoma County Office building.

That would be nice but highly doubt that happens. Too progressive for Oklahoma.

For what it's worth. The courthouse being connected to the jail isn't that much of a priority nowadays. Alot of inmates get arraigned or can have a docket call via video teleconferencing.

7. Default Re: County Jail

I agree G but I think we should plan for the worst case scenario and not design our new jail based on the 95% non-violent offenders. ..

Some good news about voting for the citizens advisory panel:

https://freepressokc.com/jail-trust-...ts-leadership/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Not cool - those funds are for mental health facilities, not for more of the same jail-serving-as-mental-health-facility-because-none-exist crap, get the funds somewhere else, should've been figuring out how to get them for at least 10 years since that's how long (if not earlier) it's been known that place needed to be replaced.

Blog Entries

If you're looking for the state to contribute any funds, you need to talk to the City of Oklahoma City and the FAM Museum folks.

As for funding the jail mental health facility with MAPS 4 Funds; those funds ($40 million) are already dedicated to a mental health, addiction and restoration center. The center doesn't need to be associated with or apart of the county jail complex.

13. Default Re: County Jail

sick

Misleading headline. But crappy wording by him, and it lends itself to misinterpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    sick
    Yes. From the Covid.

16. Default Re: County Jail

The law requires the jail to be no more than 10 minutes away from the courthouse.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    The law requires the jail to be no more than 10 minutes away from the courthouse.
    Where in law does it say that?

someone should let Cleveland county know this their jail is 13 or 14 min away from the court house ..

19. Default Re: County Jail

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    someone should let Cleveland county know this their jail is 13 or 14 min away from the court house ..
    It may just be an Oklahoma county law. I am not sure.

20. Default Re: County Jail

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Where in law does it say that?
    Good question. I have been in a few of the meetings about finding an new location. I was told it has to be no more than 10 minutes away by law.

If there were a law. It would probably be based on distance and not time.

This was the only I could find after quick search and was from Administrative rules:

New facilities and substantial remodeling of facilities (after January
    1, 1992). Plans for the construction of a new facility or the substantial
    remodeling of an existing facility shall be submitted to the Department
    for review and approval. Detention facilities are encouraged to submit
    plans to the Department for any re-modeling or repair that does not meet
    the substantial remodeling threshold to ensure standards are met.
    (1) A new detention facility shall be geographically accessible to
    criminal justice and community agencies.

There is actually a statute that allows for other counties to keep prisoners if that county doesn't have a jail so law seems to recognize that don't have to have one.

Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
    Title 57. Prisons and Reformatories
    Chapter 2 - County Jails
    Section 64 - County Without Prison
    Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

When there is no sufficient prison in any county, every judicial or executive officer of such county who has power to order or sentence any person to the county jail, may, upon application of the sheriff, order any person charged with a criminal offense whereof such officer has jurisdiction, and ordered to be committed to prison, to be sent to the jail of the county nearest having a sufficient jail, and the sheriff of such nearest county shall, on exhibit of such order, receive and keep in custody, in the jail of his county, the prisoner ordered to be committed as aforesaid, at the expense of the county from which said prisoner was sent, and the said sheriff shall, upon the order of the officer committing such prisoner, redeliver such prisoner when demanded.

Good question. I have been in a few of the meetings about finding an new location. I was told it has to be no more than 10 minutes away by law.
    I’d recommend you take a less credulous approach when told these types of things.

24. Default Re: County Jail

i think the 10 minute thing was mentioned in a council discussion

So at the end of the day the 10 minute claim was B.S.

Thread Information