Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: General Urban Development

Default Re: It looks like the Sandridge buildings are about to come down...

Methinks losing the Baum was OKC's greatest urban renewal abomination. Makes me sad to think this wonderful building sat across the street from the Colcord and just a short walk down the street from FNC. I need to go find some tissue.

http://okhistory.org/research/hiller...&action=Search

I like Patrick's idea...yes, please tear down century center and put something venetian back in that location.

I can't even look at the picture of the Baum, or the old city hall. It makes me want to punch someone or throw up to think that we lost those needlessly.

I can picture me & betts in the same room listening to Barbra Streisand singing "The Way We Were"...betts is throwing dishes against the wall and yelling over and over, "the BASTARDS!!" and I'm in the corner curled up in fetal position bawling my eyes out and crying out over and over, "why? why? why?".

Didn't say it was a pretty picture.

4. Default Re: It looks like the Sandridge buildings are about to come down...

Quote Originally Posted by earlywinegareth View Post
    Methinks losing the Baum was OKC's greatest urban renewal abomination. Makes me sad to think this wonderful building sat across the street from the Colcord and just a short walk down the street from FNC. I need to go find some tissue.

http://okhistory.org/research/hiller...&action=Search

I like Patrick's idea...yes, please tear down century center and put something venetian back in that location.
    Ever since I first saw old postcards on Doug's blog of the buildings that used to be downtown, I've been intrigued. Especially the Baum Building, I've been fascinated by it. I couldn't believe that something like that was once downtown. That was a few years ago, but it hasn't been until the past month I've really been studying all the old buildings downtown. I guess it's a new hobby. I naturally am very nostalgic, and I can't say why. Even things I'm far too young to remember. Maybe it's just the desire to see things that make me feel like I've gone back in time. It's the only way really, to travel in time.

I didn't know until the other day that other than the Clarence Ford Park, the finials that decorated the building are located at two parks around the city.

I also love the old courthouse. So much character is gone forever.

I only have found one photo on Doug's of what the interior of the Baum looked like, but it was low quality. I know things have gotten a little off topic, but it's still basically the same discussion.

Actually, new buildings at the University of Oklahoma clearly show an effort to remain true to the traditional style of the university, while incorporating some modern touches. I wonder about how expensive it is to build the more traditional buildings, but they are clearly doing it in Norman.

Default General Urban Development Thread

I was looking around at some of the areas just outside the immediate downtown area that would be ideal for large scale urban redevelopment. I think the area just south of the Medical Campus (bounded by NE8th, Lincoln, Stonewall, and the railroad tracks) would be really cool as row houses, and mid-rise apartments/condos. The terrain is pretty cool and the views from the top of the hill would be very good (OU Medical/Capitol to the north, river to the south, and downtown to the west)
    Last edited by Pete; 02-07-2011 at 04:00 PM.

Default Re: Large Scale Re-urbanization Opportunities

I'd like to see somebody do something with the school there. It's a great old school and is sitting empty.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Actually, new buildings at the University of Oklahoma clearly show an effort to remain true to the traditional style of the university, while incorporating some modern touches. I wonder about how expensive it is to build the more traditional buildings, but they are clearly doing it in Norman.
    You're right Betts. Some of the newer buildings on campus look like they could have been constructed 100 years ago. It's just a matter of what the priorities are when designing buildings.

Kerry, several areas on the south side of the river would be ideal also. Just imagine the views they would have.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    i highly recommend visiting www.impeiokc.com
    Is the Pei model still on dsiplay to be seen?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Kerry, several areas on the south side of the river would be ideal also. Just imagine the views they would have.
    I agree, south of Oklahoma River would be ideal place for urban development. Also, I wouldn't rule out SW of downtown, around Reno & Westen/Classen, would be ideal for residential development to compliment new boulevard.

Maybe the area south of 8th St. would be a good place for one of the new senior centers. It would be on or close to mass transit, the land would be inexpensive if the city doesn't already own some of it and it is close to the Health Sciences Center. Any new development in that area would help with its revitalization.

I think the are bounded by Reno on the S., NW 10th on the N., Classen on the E., and Penn on the W., would be a great area to target for future development. Primarily residential, both single and multi-family housing.

Maybe the area south of 8th St. would be a good place for one of the new senior centers. It would be on or close to mass transit, the land would be inexpensive if the city doesn't already own some of it and it is close to the Health Sciences Center. Any new development in that area would help with its revitalization.
    I have heard that OU President Boren and OCU President Henry wanted one of the Senior centers and others hospitals,etc. I do not think these senior centers should be considered some honey pot for the powers that be. I think a demographic age study should be made and these should be located as close as possible to where the target population exists. They should not have to drive far and public transportation is not a good option for them at present.

Betts, I was talking about the area south of 8th St and it is on the proposed downtown to Adventure District rail line. The area has 3,900 feet of track frontage. Parts of it would also be within walking distance of streetcars that serve the Health Sciences Center. Here is a picture of the area. The red and black lines are street car routes and the purpole line is the Adventure District Rail-link. The While line is commuter rail between Tinker and Yukon.

I know that I'll probably never see it in my lifetime but, I would like to see the Top-O-Town area re-invented. The northside of that area would have some nice views of downtown and the river.

I also think the immediate area around the Farmers market would be a great place to build housing, I could just pictue going to Starbucks inside the Farmers Market as I prepare to walk to the new central park and/or bricktown.

18. Default Re: Large Scale Re-urbanization Opportunities

I think it's already in the cards, but the area Chesapeake is buying up to the east of their main campus is one of the highest elevations in the city and would be a great spot for midrise residential with views of downtown.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    I was looking around at some of the areas just outside the immediate downtown area that would be ideal for large scale urban redevelopment. I think the area just south of the Medical Campus (bounded by NE8th, Lincoln, Stonewall, and the railroad tracks) would be really cool as row houses, and mid-rise apartments/condos. The terrain is pretty cool and the views from the top of the hill would be very good (OU Medical/Capitol to the north, river to the south, and downtown to the west)
    some of the early land speculators have already bought a bunch of land in this area

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Betts, I was talking about the area south of 8th St and it is on the proposed downtown to Adventure District rail line. The area has 3,900 feet of track frontage. Parts of it would also be within walking distance of streetcars that serve the Health Sciences Center. Here is a picture of the area. The red and black lines are street car routes and the purpole line is the Adventure District Rail-link. The While line is commuter rail between Tinker and Yukon.

I know the area well, Kerry, since I live just west of there and my post office is there. I drive through all the time and agree, there is a lot of potential there. There is a beautiful old school there that's abandoned as well, which is what I was talking about wishing someone would do something with. I don't know how much of the area OUHSC owns but I believe the Dental School may be going on 8th.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    I know that I'll probably never see it in my lifetime but, I would like to see the Top-O-Town area re-invented. The northside of that area would have some nice views of downtown and the river.
    Where is Top-O-Town?

The area I am talking about is larger than all of downtown so there is plenty of room to re-urbanize and almost all of it is vacant land. I checked the property appraiser web site and most of the lots are in the $1000 range with only a few being more than $10,000. You could probably buy most of the area for $250,000 to $300,000. It could be OKC's Back Bay area.

@ Kerry- Top-O-Town is just west of 35 and south of the river. Many older homes with no historical value.

That top of the town area actually has a few newer houses in there north of 15th and west of 1-35. But for the most part those are some old raggedy match box houses that should have been torn down years ago. That area has some of the best views of downtown OKC though. I was in that area about a month ago for some reason or another and said to myself, What a view!

But,before someone would commit big money in that area they would have to clean up/out the area between 15-29th / Central to Byers. That is a very rough hood.

24. Default Re: Large Scale Re-urbanization Opportunities

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    Old stomping grounds. I grew up and lived there for nine years. Grandparents still live there.

25. Default Re: Large Scale Re-urbanization Opportunities

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    That top of the town area actually has a few new houses in there north of 15th and west of 1-35. But for the most part those are some old raggedy houses that should have been torn down years ago. That area has some of the best views of downtown OKC though.
    My grandparents live there, plus my old house. So I would have an issue with people tearing anything down. They tore down all the houses along Kate when they rebuilt I-35. I grew up there and I know about how good the views are.

Thread Information