Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 38 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma River Development

Boathouse District New developments on Oklahoma River!

Personally, I'm excited, while at the same time a little disappointed the River Redevelopment Authority might be getting to excited and making a bad decision with design work. I really wish the hotels would have to have a minimum of 6 stories at least, and can't be stucco facade. The area is prime real estate and we sure don't want to turn it into another Lower Bricktown.

By Steve Lackmeyer
    Business Writer
    With a major "investment” along the Oklahoma River being announced today by Devon Energy, hotelier Jeff Penner can think of no better time to start construction of the first two hotels to directly face the waterway.

Details of the announcement are being kept a secret, but Penner says he has seen enough momentum along the restored river already to inspire investing $40 million on up to four hotels adjacent to a Meridian Avenue boat landing being built by the city for a boat service launching this fall.

"The river is the deciding factor we are doing this,” Penner said. "If the boat ramp weren't here, we probably wouldn't be doing this.”

Site preparation has already begun for a 97-room, four-story Staybridge Suites and a 143-room, six-story Holiday Inn. Penner, a partner in the venture that also includes hotelier N.G. Patel and Patriot Hospitality LLC, said negotiations are underway with franchises to build two more hotels along the stretch between the river and SW 15 just east of Meridian Avenue.

Penner said he has worked closely with Pat Downes, development director for the Oklahoma City Riverfront Redevelopment Authority, to ensure the hotels fit into long-term plans for the waterway.

"We've made major concessions we ordinarily wouldn't have,” Penner said. "For example, it was important to Pat Downes that we not having parking facing the trails. And we won't ... We definitely intend to play off the river. This Holiday Inn has a lounge that sets off a patio that will overlook the Oklahoma River. Our goal is to set this in a park-like setting along the river.”

Penner said he hopes restaurants will follow suit and he foresees the area becoming the west anchor for the river parks.

The site itself would ordinarily not be an ideal candidate for development. Penner's group is spending $1.2 million to remediate debris dumped on the property in previous years. Without the city's investment in the river, Penner said his group probably wouldn't have considered such an investment.

Such investment is no surprise to Ron Norick, who as mayor in 1993 convinced voters to pass the Metropolitan Area Projects that included construction of dams, trails and other amenities along a waterway that was for decades derided as an ugly ditch that needed to be mowed three times a year.

Since the MAPS improvements on the river were completed, the city has seen a wave of ensuing investment, including the Chesapeake Boathouse, the American Indian Cultural Center, a Dell office campus, announcement of three boathouses by area universities, Penner's hotels, and today's announcement by Devon Energy.

Norick also anticipates big plans are in store for the property Chesapeake Energy recently purchased along the river east of Western Avenue — which is across from the former Downtown Airpark being redeveloped by former Mayor Kirk Humphreys. Norick predicted Devon's investment will help take the river to the next stage of development.

"It's huge,” Norick said. "This to me has got to be the final piece of the puzzle to the river. We have the dams, we have water impounded, we're building docks and this announcement will add the final piece to the river.”

Larry Nichols, chief executive officer of downtown corporate anchor Devon Energy, said the river is a prime opportunity to continue Oklahoma City's renaissance.

"The Oklahoma River is the most exciting redevelopment project in Oklahoma City right now,” Nichols said. "Enthusiasm that originated downtown through the MAPS projects is extending to the river where there is great potential for future growth. The river is an important part of our history and it remains an important aspect of our continuing development into one of the nation's great cities.”

Default Re: New developments on Oklahoma River!

What's the major announcement by Devon today?

Wow, this Devon announcement should be very interesting.

And it sounds like it is completely separate from the CHK property and the former airport owned by Kirk Humphrey.

So, with the hotel announcement, could there be a total of 4 big development projects planned for the river??

I wonder if there is a press release from Devon regarding the time and location of this announcement?

Very interesting...

My money is on Devon building their new headquarters down on the river as opposed to building a new skyscraper downtown. I hope this isn't the case, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Here's a graphic from the article in the Oklahoman:

My sources at Devon tell me that the press conference held today @ 10:30 AM was about the following:

UPDATE: Let's just say that I won't be using my sources at Devon anymore.

Devon Energy to Form Marketing and Midstream Master Limited Partnership

OKLAHOMA CITY, July 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Devon Energy Corporation announced today that its board of directors has approved a plan to form a new, publicly-traded master limited partnership (MLP). The MLP will own a minority interest in Devon's U.S. onshore marketing and midstream business. This business includes natural gas gathering and processing assets located in Texas, Oklahoma, Wyoming and Montana.

Devon expects to file with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) a registration statement for the planned MLP in the third quarter of 2007. An offering of partnership units in the MLP will follow registration with the SEC.

A Devon subsidiary will serve as the general partner of the MLP, and Devon expects to own a majority of the partnership units following completion of the initial public offering. Following the offering, Devon will continue to own a majority interest in its domestic onshore marketing and midstream business.

Devon currently expects to utilize a significant portion of the proceeds from the sale of MLP units to retire debt of the parent company and to repurchase shares of its common stock. Any remaining proceeds would also be available to Devon for payment of dividends and other corporate purposes.

"The purpose of creating a master limited partnership is to allow the marketplace to more fully measure the performance and contribution of Devon's marketing and midstream business while applying the proceeds in a manner beneficial to our stockholders," commented J. Larry Nichols, chairman and chief executive officer.

This news release shall not constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy securities. Any offers, solicitations or offers to buy, or any sales of securities will be made in accordance with the registration requirements of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended.

Due to limitations imposed by U.S. securities laws, Devon will not be holding a conference call to discuss the content of this release.

Devon Energy Corporation is an Oklahoma City-based independent energy company engaged in oil and gas exploration and production and is included in the S&P 500 Index.

The statements in this news release are forward-looking statements that are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties including, among other things, the risks and uncertainties that the master limited partnership will not be formed, will not complete an offering of securities, will not raise the planned amount of capital even if an offering of securities is completed, and will not be able to complete its proposed actions on the timetable indicated. Furthermore, the structure, nature, purpose, and proposed assets and liabilities of the master limited partnership may change materially from those depicted herein. No assurance can be given as to the value of the master limited partnership, the price at which its securities may trade, or whether a liquid market for those securities will develop or be maintained. In addition, Devon and the master limited partnership will be subject to the risks normally attendant to businesses in the oil and gas exploration and midstream energy industries. These and other risks are described in Devon's 10-K and 10-Q Reports and other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Any duty to update these statements is disclaimed except as required by law.

Quote Originally Posted by cad_poke View Post
    My money is on Devon building their new headquarters down on the river as opposed to building a new skyscraper downtown. I hope this isn't the case, but it wouldn't surprise me.
    I don't think they will, if they did it would be further east. Devon is pretty committed to downtown and renewing it, hence why Nichols has publicly said recently he won't consider building or moving until after Kerr McGee building is sold and hopefully others will follow. If he were to move to the river property, it would become a campus like Chesapeake. I don't think he would get a very warm reception doing that and I just don't see that happening. Hopefully it will be a mixed use development.

Devon may be in the process of acquiring the Chesapeake land on the river and planning a development there.

Tom Price from CHK was quoted as saying that they weren't interested in developing properties in downtown OKC, which is why they now only spun off the KM building, but the smaller properties and vacant land as well.

This announcement may be the final part of this property swap. And perhaps Devon will give more information about a new downtown HQ.

The Devon river announcement is up on okcbusiness.com.

Devon donates $2 million toward Oklahoma River transportation project

Former Oklahoma City Mayor Ron Norick. Photo/Mark Hancock

Stefanie Brickman
    7/19/2007

Former Oklahoma City Mayor Ron Norick announced today three boats will begin cruising the Oklahoma River later this year.

Acting as the chair of the River Trust, Norick’s riverside announcement included Devon Energy’s $2 million commitment to bring three 65-foot-long, 14-foot-wide boats – which will be called Devon Discoveries – to the Oklahoma River.

Norick listed three groups who have come together on the transportation project: the City of Oklahoma City, Central Oklahoma Transportation and Parking Authority and the River Trust.

“There are three pieces: MAPS (Metropolitan Area Projects) to fund the river redevelopment, a federal piece and private dollars,” Norick said.

Serving primarily as alternate transportation linking the hotels in the Interstate 40-Meridian Avenue area to Downtown Oklahoma City and the Bricktown entertainment district, the first boat will arrive in October and the second in November with the third one in Spring 2008. Scarano Boat Builders in Albany, N.Y. are constructing the vessels for $1 million each.

Norick imagines the Meridian Boat Landing area – located off SW 15th Street, east of Meridian Avenue – to develop commercially.

“I look at the river the way I looked at Bricktown 10 or so years ago,” Norick said. “Where’s it going? I don’t know, but within 10 to 15 years, I don’t think we will recognize it.”

Norick said the boats will begin regular 40-minute trips along three stops in spring 2008: the Meridian Boat Landing, near the stockyards and Regatta Landing. Eventually, there will be routes to the American Indian Cultural Center (which will be located on Eastern Avenue), the State Fairgrounds, the Downtown Air Park and the Dell campus.

The boats will accommodate 49 passengers and will have heat and air conditioning.

Norick said the boats will be available for private parties during the fall.

Copyrighted by Parkway Publishing LLC. Republished with permission. From OKCBusiness.com

Summary...

Devon donating $2 million to the Oklahoma River boat project. First of three boats to run in October. Next one in November, then Spring '08. The boats will be called "Devon Discoveries." 40 minute excursion with three stops from downtown to meridian. Boats will accommodate 49 passengers and have heat and AC. Boats cost a million each.

Cool.

Edit: Didn't know if I should copy/paste...

BTW, if you guys didn't see this announcement, we can post OKCBusiness articles as long as we follow their guidelines.

Bummer, looks like they wont' be starting in September as they originally announced earlier this year. Oh well, at least progress is being made. I hate to have to wait until next year though.

If I understand it correctly, the first boat will run this October. I don't believe they're waiting until next year to start.

I think the private party businesses will insure success of this operation at least until legitimate attractions come online. Once there is real places to go on the river, then they might actually become a viable form of transportation for tourists and day trippers.

I'd love to use this corporate enthusiasm to get some landmark pedestrian bridges built as well. How cool would it be to light them up at night and take a cruise to view OKC's lighted bridges? I think when we often try and think of landmark attractions that could motivate tourism to OKC, we usually think in terms of size, but I think a nice series of unique bridges with cool design and lighting concepts would be unique and give Oklahoma City an instantly recognizable feature. How cool would it be to see establishing shots of our televised events showing these boats floating down the river under a light show provided by some bridges?

Our energy companies could use it as an opportunity for good will and power their sponsored bridges using different forms of alternative energy... We could have Mardi Gras and St. Patrick's Day parades on the river and dress up the bridges for the theme...

Ok, I've hi-jacked the thread enough. Carry on.

Unique... Great idea!

^^ BDP... that is an excellent idea , you should submit that idea to the Mayor's office.

I agree... Fantastic idea, BDP.

The bridges would have to be big enough to allow for boat traffic but they are sorely needed to link the north and south side of the river.

Besides corporate sponsorships we could also get the various architecture firms and schools involved in a design competition.

The more I think of it the better this idea is. This is the most unique idea that I have heard about, in regards to some kind of landmark.

Is there another city that has this concept??

Venice.

Love, love, love this idea.

Thanks guys. I'm glad there's some enthusiasm for the concept. I really do think it could be a signature project for OKC if done the right way. Does anyone think it would make sense as a MAPS project? For some reason, I'm afraid that could water it down, but maybe MAPS could pay for some of the support, implementation, and oversight of such a project with the real design and construction dollars coming from the private community.

Besides corporate sponsorships we could also get the various architecture firms and schools involved in a design competition.
    That would be great. A company could sponsor the competition and maximize their publicity from it.

My only concern with the sponsorships is that they would end up being a series of billboards. I think there would have to be some parameters on how big, if any, any insignia could be. That way they don't try and out do each other with how big their names are and, hopefully, they would concentrate on out doing each other in design.

Is there another city that has this concept??
    Besides Venice , the closest I can think of is Chicago with their bridges over the river, but most of them are very utilitarian. London... maybe sort of? Obviously lots of cities have signature bridges, but I can't think of anywhere that has a group of bridges, pedestrian or otherwise, that also serve as attractions or landmarks.

I think to really make it synonymous with Oklahoma City, scale and commitment would be important. One half-assed bridge could kind of spoil it. I don't think they have to be huge, but you'd need a handful of really special concepts to really make a mark, imo. Disneyfication would be a concern as well, but I think it could be really nice if done right.

Agree with all your points, BDP.

Like Chicago, Milwaukee has a pretty cool riverwalk with some interesting bridges, although most are older:

The Milwaukee riverwalk does look nice. Have you ever been there?

The bridges would have to be big enough to allow for boat traffic but they are sorely needed to link the north and south side of the river.
    This is true. I do know that some train tracks cross the river at ground level, so that may pretty much dictate the minimum height requirement and whatever boats the river can accommodate over its entire length.

But it would be cool if any newer bridges at least were the height of most of the current street bridges.

Man, these are great ideas....

Thread Information