Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma River Development

Default Re: Future landmarks on the Oklahoma River

The Space needle is an attraction because it is a work of art and design. Not just because its huge. The giant oil derick is not a work of art or design. Take the Tower Of The Americas in San Antonio, it is larger than the Space Needle, and it sits in the shadows, has nowhere near the allure and notoriety Space Needle endures.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettmiester View Post
    The Space needle is an attraction because it is a work of art and design. Not just because its huge. The giant oil derick is not a work of art or design. Take the Tower Of The Americas in San Antonio, it is larger than the Space Needle, and it sits in the shadows, has nowhere near the allure and notoriety Space Needle endures.
    Are you related to Shane Jett, the rep who first floated the idea of the huge oil derrick?

Not at all. The Oil derrick is or would be a total eyesore.

However, the Sunsphere in Knoxville is not the attraction it should be because it is not large or tall enough. Its all a matter of proper design.

I wonder if we could buy this.

Durant, OK - World's Largest Peanut - Gone

Oklahoma City should get back at Texas for having America's biggest Ferris wheel by putting up America's new biggest Ferris wheel.

Oklahoma City tried for a World's Fair,and now they are thinking of putting up a tourist attraction Ferris Wheel. Hmmm....the Ferris Wheel was invented for a World's Fair, the World's Columbian Exposition 1893 Chicago. What goes around Comes around (pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by Jettmiester View Post
    Oklahoma City tried for a World's Fair,and now they are thinking of putting up a tourist attraction Ferris Wheel. Hmmm....the Ferris Wheel was invented for a World's Fair, the World's Columbian Exposition 1893 Chicago. What goes around Comes around (pun intended).

so is there actually any real plans to build something large and grand on the oklahoma river, or is this just what ifs

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    so is there actually any real plans to build something large and grand on the oklahoma river, or is this just what ifs
    Other than the ferris wheel, which should eventually happen, everything else is sheer speculation or wishing.

Blog Entries

We cannot compare what we need to do in OKC with what exists in Paris, Rome, London, etc.

The idea and advantage of a huge (tall) unique structure is that it will define our skyline and be shown every time OKC is displayed. That is why the space needle works in Seattle, the CN tower in Toronto, The Sears Tower in Chicago, the TransAmerica building in San Francisco, the arch in St. Louis, the GM Center in Detroit, the Hyatt tower/ball in Dallas, etc., etc. It would be one UNIQUE structure to be a logo mark for the city.

I think the structure you're talking about is now under construction. It's the Devon Tower.

That's exactly what I was thinking Bunty!

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    We cannot compare what we need to do in OKC with what exists in Paris, Rome, London, etc.

The idea and advantage of a huge (tall) unique structure is that it will define our skyline and be shown every time OKC is displayed. That is why the space needle works in Seattle, the CN tower in Toronto, The Sears Tower in Chicago, the TransAmerica building in San Francisco, the arch in St. Louis, the GM Center in Detroit, the Hyatt tower/ball in Dallas, etc., etc. It would be one UNIQUE structure to be a logo mark for the city.
    The Mayor has made those global comparisons with parts of MAPS 3 the Boulevard too. Unfortunately we Okies have this self-image problem and we feel that we need to keep saying to ourselves that we are good enough, smart enough etc etc. Much like the SNL character that would repeat affirmations into the mirror. Instead of doing something uniquely "us", we feel we have to imitate everyone else.

Default Re: New developments on Oklahoma River!

Gazette's server is down right now, can you post the story if you get a chance?

Just in case you all haven't seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJtmsYFkP6k

This is a nice feature from KFOR showing some of the new construction and an interview with Rand Elliott.

http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-...,2434533.story

Great shot of the Devon Boathouse project, the exterior is almost done.

Pic I took yesterday.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boat House.JPG 
Views:	914 
Size:	713.1 KB 
ID:	594

ehh... might as well post mine from yesterday too... not quite as good as Urban Pioneer's.

Default Development along the Oklahoma River

Just wanted to know if anyone knew of any plans to bring clubs, restuarants, more hotels, ect... along the Oklahoma River. I'm aware of the 2 or 3 hotels around Meridian I think it is and 15th. I think it is long over due and would be awesome. Hopefully something like that happens while I can still enjoy it before I get too old. I'm 24 now. haha

Default Re: Development along the Oklahoma River

The Waterfront:

http://www.humphreysco.com/#/projects/the-waterfront/

Construction is slated to begin March of 2012...

Default Re: Oklahoma River Development

Take a look at this photo..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42029305@N02/5672535970/

I can't figure out if this is the finished product or a computer generate image.

Default Re: Oklahoma River Development

That's real, not rendering

Thread Information