Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma River Development

Blog Entries

Default Re: Future landmarks on the Oklahoma River

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    The oil derrick, if ever built, should be placed somewhere in Tulsa. You know, they were once named "Oil Capital of the World."
    True Tulsa was once called the "Oil Capital of the World"; however, Oklahoma City was once laced with over 1,000 oil derricks.

I say build the Oil Derrick Tower here:

Oklahoma Horizon Tower Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGiJ0JWaOm0

Jett?s oil derrick might put OKC in limelight Opinion The Edmond Sun
    Last edited by Laramie; 03-29-2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: added link...

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    are you implying you know more about design and architecture than Rand Elliott?
    Well I know the definition of ugly. Sometimes Rand doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    True Tulsa was once called the "Oil Capital of the World"; however, Oklahoma City was once laced with over 1,000 oil derricks.

I say build the Oil Derrick Tower here:

Oklahoma Horizon Tower Video:

YouTube - Oklahoma creating an icon to rival the Eiffel Tower??

Jett?s oil derrick might put OKC in limelight Opinion The Edmond Sun
    I sincerely hope that you are being sarcastic in trying to promote that one hundred million dollar monstrosity, which its gimick will be that as people come through, they will think how backward a place this really is.

I am proud of our heritage and the ties that we have currently; and our rich heritage that spurs from the oil and gas industry. When considering icon making which could potentially define a place, you have to be extremely careful that the symbol you are erecting is executed impeccably. There is honestly so much wrong with that proposal that I will not take the time now to discuss each of them. All I can say is...wow...and not the good kind. I wouldn't want Tulsa to build it either.

4. Default Re: Future landmarks on the Oklahoma River

What @heart said! ^ ^ ^

An oil derrick is an American icon of the past. I see nothing wrong with the thought of building one, especially one higher than the Eiffel Tower.

We just need Grant Humphreys to go buy the big Red Derrick from Six Flags...not sure how it compares to the Eiffel Tower but since everything in Texas is bigger etc. And if you have ever been up it, it offers an amazing 360 degree view of the Metroplex.

7. Default Re: Future landmarks on the Oklahoma River

No no no no no no no no no no no

Ah yes a fine idea...lets do all we can to thwart all of our progress and make the city a punchline for all the years that a one hundred million dollar oil dereck that looks like it has a couple of trailers attached to it midway up to the culmination of the observation deck that has a horible panel design that could I guess be sold as the largest and highest billboard sign at its crown. Stradling the Oklahoma river and embarassing the would be world class rowers from ever wanting to be seen in its waters.

This is one of those ideas where just be cause you can doesn't mean that you should. The verticle symbols that attain greatness do so becuase they communicate an idea or triumph, but do not articulate it in a literal way. It is in the articulation of the idea in an abstract way that is clear but, in itself unique and distinct. Set the Eiffel tower and the Oil dereck image together at scale and tell me which denotes beauty and class and style. Both are feats honoring revolutions of industry, however one is what was accomplished due to the change of industry, ie the casting of wrought iron. The other is simply taking an industrial object, that was in its own right a symbol, and supersizing it. By the way the symbol itself is having less and less appeal nationally and internationally, and would undobtably have very unintended consequences. Remeber we want to attract corporations from other locations to come and participate in the vibrant new OKC; the one who is innovative and cutting edge...and well if we just spent a huge sum of money to make our symbol one of the nature being proposed. It will not bode well for the future of the city. And I can almost write the quib late night show hosts dialogue of dismissal everytime something noteworthy or newsworthy is ever made public...not a pleasent thought.

People have different tastes and some things become attractive (the Eiffel Tower was lambasted as ugly when it as proposed...think it was called the Awful Tower). I am NOT in favor of the design posted but it can be done well. One can embrace the history or try to run from it. What seems to work best is when you can take what some might see as a negative image and turn it into a positive. In any case, no matter what you do, you have to put a local spin on it otherwise you aren't any different from any other city.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    since everything in Texas is bigger etc.
    But everything in Oklahoma is cornier.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    But everything in Oklahoma is cornier.
    And darn right proud of it too! Can't wait to bring the kin folk down to the concrete ditch ...err "Bricktown Venice"

12. Default Re: Future landmarks on the Oklahoma River

no no no no no no no no no

Quote Originally Posted by okrednk View Post
    An oil derrick is an American icon of the past. I see nothing wrong with the thought of building one, especially one higher than the Eiffel Tower.
    That makes one of us!
    I promise if you do a pole on whether it should or should not be built, and show the proposed picture, it will be 80% no!
    it lacks style, purpose and a uniqueness to OKC or OK for that matter. Yeah, OK has alot of them, but so does Texas and Kansas. An Oklahoman did not invent the various models that i know of. If something should be built for 100M dollars, it should be uniquely Oklahoman, built with style (at least the Eifle tower has that!). The rendering of that particular model I saw was, well, Lacking!
    Will it have a story, history or be trendsetting? If it is to rival something, Could it be like the Statue of Liberty, only an Arapaho or Cherokee indian instead, designed by an American indian, an Oklahoman?

Oh boy...Rambling...

Quote Originally Posted by OKC@heart View Post
    I sincerely hope that you are being sarcastic in trying to promote that one hundred million dollar monstrosity
    Monstrosity is RIGHT!! BLEH!

Let Rand design it and MAYBE.........Nahhhhh.

15. Default Re: Future landmarks on the Oklahoma River

no no no no no no no no no

Quote Originally Posted by BigD Misey View Post
    That makes one of us!
    I promise if you do a pole on whether it should or should not be built, and show the proposed picture, it will be 80% no!
    it lacks style, purpose and a uniqueness to OKC or OK for that matter. Yeah, OK has alot of them, but so does Texas and Kansas. An Oklahoman did not invent the various models that i know of. If something should be built for 100M dollars, it should be uniquely Oklahoman, built with style (at least the Eifle tower has that!). The rendering of that particular model I saw was, well, Lacking!
    Will it have a story, history or be trendsetting? If it is to rival something, Could it be like the Statue of Liberty, only an Arapaho or Cherokee indian instead, designed by an American indian, an Oklahoman?

Oh boy...Rambling...

It could be the world's largest arrow. As long as its not the typical monuments built in the U.S. I feel it should be something of Oklahoma's history. Why follow trend, buck the trend and hold on for the ride.

Think that was one of the Oklahoma themes in a World's Fair (from Arrows to Atoms) or something like that. We already have some oversized arrows out at the airport...run with it I guess...maybe incorporate the Native American statue someone mentioned (think Tulsa was supposed to get this but is on hold) have him facing in the direction of the new Cultural Center maybe with the arrow jutting out of the ground as if the statue had shot it (think the pose that is on our new license plates)...

18. Default Re: Future landmarks on the Oklahoma River

We don't need a giant anything...

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Amen!!!

I guess Devon's Tower set us for life?

21. Default Re: Future landmarks on the Oklahoma River

no phallus envy here

I dont mind giant things... Just as long as they look good. I dont think a giant eyesore on the side of the river will do any good for the city.

While that may be true... name the world famous landmark attractions that are not one of the largest if not the largest. That's more a request for input than a challenge to the validity of your point.

When I think of Paris, I think Eiffel tower...HUGE. NYC=Statue of Liberty or Huge buildings. St Louis=Arch, Huge again. All the space needles are 500 to 750' tall. Chicago - The fountains with the faces, something like 30ft tall screens, oh and the Sears Bldg (which is now named something else. Each Texas City boasts something the biggest whatever as a draw for tourism.
    Unfortunately, notoriety and allure are often due to giant something's.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD Misey View Post
    While that may be true... name the world famous landmark attractions that are not one of the largest if not the largest. That's more a request for input than a challenge to the validity of your point.

When I think of Paris, I think Eiffel tower...HUGE. NYC=Statue of Liberty or Huge buildings. St Louis=Arch, Huge again. All the space needles are 500 to 750' tall. Chicago - The fountains with the faces, something like 30ft tall screens, oh and the Sears Bldg (which is now named something else. Each Texas City boasts something the biggest whatever as a draw for tourism.
    Unfortunately, notoriety and allure are often due to giant something's.
    And when I think of Rome, I think of the Trevi Fountain. In London I think of the Tower Bridge and in Venice, it's the canals. Biggest isn't always the main draw.

25. Default Re: Future landmarks on the Oklahoma River

Exactly. Our landmarks and iconic symbols don't have to be giant. There's the Memorial, the Crystal Bridge, and the future American Indian Cultural Center with the big hill/promenade.

A giant oil derrick is not original, and there are no "giant things" that haven't already been done.

Thread Information