Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma River Development

Default Re: Future landmarks on the Oklahoma River

Quote Originally Posted by possumfritter View Post
    But gen70, Savannah is historic, real old houses and churches, cobblestone streets, refined and genteel. And, they throw theeeee best St. Patrick's Day party in the country! Not to mention the fact the hushpuppies are to die for!IMHO
    Agree! Savannah is truly a gem of the South with it's historical square blocks and old historical homes and churches not to mentioned the century old live and laurel oaks and the magnolias that grace the squares. Sorry, but OKC has nothing like this at all. When I think of Savannah it truly is of the old grand, genteel South and charm alot like Charleston!!!
    Last edited by progressiveboy; 03-24-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: word added

Quote Originally Posted by corpsman View Post
    My mind's eye is having difficulty focusing. Where will the Sky Dance cross the new highway? Please relate it to an existing structure or north/south street. Thanks
    Doug Loudenback's blog has a lot of information on this, including a map showing the location.

Doug Dawgz Blog: Core To Shore: The I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

My mind's eye is having difficulty focusing. Where will the Sky Dance cross the new highway? Please relate it to an existing structure or north/south street. Thanks
    Harvey, it's the "axis" of Downtown and C2S.

It will be on the east side of Union Station.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Agree! Savannah is truly a gem of the South with it's historical square blocks and old historical homes and churches not to mentioned the century old live and laurel oaks and the magnolias that grace the squares. Sorry, but OKC has nothing like this at all. When I think of Savannah it truly is of the old grand, genteel South and charm alot like Charleston!!!
    Yep, I thought about those old Magnolias, Oak Trees, and those Crepe Myrtle Trees (some taller than the Magnolia trees) after I posted my comment.

Smile Re: Future landmarks on the Oklahoma River

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Doug Loudenback's blog has a lot of information on this, including a map showing the location.

Doug Dawgz Blog: Core To Shore: The I-40 Pedestrian Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Harvey, it's the "axis" of Downtown and C2S.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    It will be on the east side of Union Station.
    Thanks "I can see clearly now the rain is gone"

7. Default Re: Future landmarks on the Oklahoma River

The bell tower is so out of scale (small) for the site it is more often overlooked then not. I should have been on the Campus of OCU or something similar. You have to think big.

9. Default Re: Future landmarks on the Oklahoma River

Quote Originally Posted by cad_poke View Post
    The Butzer Design Partnership team. Hans Butzer was the one who designed the bombing memorial. There are other architects and engineers on the team and I can give you those names too, if you want them.
    Structural - Obelisk

Quote Originally Posted by rondvu View Post
    The bell tower is so out of scale (small) for the site it is more often overlooked then not. I should have been on the Campus of OCU or something similar. You have to think big.
    When I constructed it for the Oklahoma Centennial, I had to contend with the OG+E high lines and a limited budget. It is 50' tall.

However, a statue in a park can be a land mark. So I disagree that it isn't. If you go down there, there is a large compass inlaid into the plaza with granite markers. The tower orientation and lighting reflect this compass. It is brilliantly lit at night.

I would suggest going down there and visiting it to determine scale.

Not to be touchy about it, but I am proud of it.

The foundation is designed to withstand the 300 year flood. The amount of concrete in the ground is quite considerable as it is on a dike made mostly of sand. So it will be around for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    When I constructed it for the Oklahoma Centennial, I had to contend with the OG+E high lines and a limited budget. It is 50' tall.

However, a statue in a park can be a land mark. So I disagree that it isn't. If you go down there, there is a large compass inlaid into the plaza with granite markers. The tower orientation and lighting reflect this compass. It is brilliantly lit at night.

The foundation is designed to withstand the 300 year flood. The amount of concrete in the ground is quite considerable as it is on a dike made mostly of sand. So it will be around for a while.
    Good job dude!! Everybody wants to bitch but, don't know all the variables.

Ideas for River Landmarks:

How about a 30' one of these (with arms and legs of course) by Kelly Haney and sons on a pedestrian bridge where the south end of the park hits the river.

I wonder if Rand, Pickents and the Pokes are making any progress on this: (Could put this on whichever side of the tracks the Conv center is not, right off the new highway where all driving thru will see)
    This would be THE ICON for OKC

And there is always the ferris wheel From Cali...

Quote Originally Posted by BigD Misey View Post

How about a 30' one of these (with arms and legs of course) by Kelly Haney and sons on a pedestrian bridge where the south end of the park hits the river.

I wonder if Rand, Pickents and the Pokes are making any progress on this: (Could put this on whichever side of the tracks the Conv center is not, right off the new highway where all driving thru will see)

And there is always the ferris wheel From Cali...
    LOL...

The caption said it will rival the Eiffel Tower as a landmark..

Shane Jett's latest..the proposal to remake the state flag with an exclamation mark.

LOL

14. Default Re: Future landmarks on the Oklahoma River

I was looking for iconic observation towers and saw that same design by rand.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Shane Jett's latest..the proposal to remake the state flag with an exclamation mark.

LOL
    When doing some background on our flags history (did you know there have been 14 flags that have flown over what would become Oklahoma? Take that "6 Flags over Texas"

Anyway, I digress, but the word "Oklahoma" was added to the flag to combat illiteracy.

At least with adding the exclamation point it ties into the state song etc. But does remind me of the car tags when I 1st moved back in the 80s "Oklahoma is OK!" They had the exclamation point too. Needed really to give it some oomph. We Okies have this inferiority complex anyway and when we put it in print on our car tags that we are "OK" (not great, but not bad either) what message does that send? LOL

LOL...

The caption said it will rival the Eiffel Tower as a landmark..

LOL

WOW! Just WOW! Ok...and YIKES!
    I hope that doesn't happen. Looks rediculous! IMHO!

Quote Originally Posted by BigD Misey View Post

I like this one the best, especially if the top portion of the spier (above the silvery rim) rotated 360 degrees during each 24 hour period.

Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post

Indeed the tower is a beautiful piece of work. Most people going down I35 can not even see it and it is lost to the motorists. Being at the far east site of the boat house row the most pedestrians do not venture that far and are not aware of the the tower. If it was larger it would draw more attention by passerby's. Perhaps when the row is completed it will draw people to the area where they can appreciate it's beauty. Not bitching, I should have elaborated to say great piece but, a poor location.
    To me it seems lost in it current location, as stated earlier with the construction in the area I hope it changes. Will the boats full of tourists get that far, if so will they be able to appreciate it design and construction? I was impressed when I walked down to see it. I am asking for river and highway traffic so more people can appreciate it and. If it was near Byers it would be a great location where many more could enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by rondvu View Post
    Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post

Indeed the tower is a beautiful piece of work. Most people going down I35 can not even see it and it is lost to the motorists. Being at the far east site of the boat house row the most pedestrians do not venture that far and are not aware of the the tower. If it was larger it would draw more attention by passerby's. Perhaps when the row is completed it will draw people to the area where they can appreciate it's beauty. Not bitching, I should have elaborated to say great piece but, a poor location.
    To me it seems lost in it current location, as stated earlier with the construction in the area I hope it changes. Will the boats full of tourists get that far, if so will they be able to appreciate it design and construction? I was impressed when I walked down to see it. I am asking for river and highway traffic so more people can appreciate it and. If it was near Byers it would be a great location where many more could enjoy.
    If the meaning of this is that the power lines running allong the river from Harvey to the RR tracks will not allow for a tower, Core to Shore includes the removal or at least integration of that power substation that feeds those lines right off 4th st. Besides, the original intent of those lines have changed. Right now it heads west from robinson to harvey, S to the river, then back east to the tracks. Likely, whether it be a convention center or just a park, this will be addressed. Possibly continuing west to Western then accross the river, or east on 3rd or 4th, then S paralleling Sheilds / RR tracks then connect where it is crossing the river right now.
    The utility service lines along the river can go underground, while the Aerial lines along the new I40 will not be affected.

Rand's pipe dream would look better if he inverted it, with the fat part at the top and not the bottom. That's more of an organic shape. I assume doing that would also increase the productivity of the wind turbines designed to generate power for the building.

are you implying you know more about design and architecture than Rand Elliott?

22. Default Re: Future landmarks on the Oklahoma River

Rand's pipe dream would look better if he inverted it, with the fat part at the top and not the bottom. That's more of an organic shape. I assume doing that would also increase the productivity of the wind turbines designed to generate power for the building.
    Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    are you implying you know more about design and architecture than Rand Elliott?

Since those turbines are spinning it would probably become very unstable and eventually would just fall over (and in spectacular fashion).

I think you may be on to something. By inverting it the City could market it as the worlds largest top. Just think of the tourist it would attract. We would blow Cawker City out of the water, and off the map.

25. Default Re: Future landmarks on the Oklahoma River

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post

It's a great project. It just gets forgotten at that dead end. Once boathouse row grows and it becomes more of a destination, hopefully the belltower will be tied in with the overall park/grounds.

I hate the powerlines there with a passion. It's really too bad that they got in the way of this possibly being a bit bigger.

Thread Information