Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma River Development

Default Re: New developments on Oklahoma River!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    So we'll have the Chesapeake (General Purpose) Boathouse, Devon (OCU) Boathouse, Aubrey McClendon (OU) Boathouse, what's next? The Larry Nichols (UCO) Boathouse?
    The Bennett Boathouse. But, of course, he'll need public financing.

Clay Bennett has already pledged $1 million toward the OU boathouse.

3. Default Re: New developments on Oklahoma River!

Man it must be nice to throw that kind of money around and not worry about it...

Does anyone know what the colored lights under the new bridge next to the Rowing Center are for?
    Thanks.

5. Default Re: New developments on Oklahoma River!

new bridge?

Lights are to give folks a reason to look at bridge supports at night ... rather pretty compared to the alternative really

my understanding (in addition to the pretty reason) is that the bridge was lighted to help the rowers for the "OGE Night Sprints." helps them differentiate the bridge posts during the race.

they are amazing - I think it is the Color Kinetics type that is programmable for probably a million formations. very forward thinking IMO.

Hey guys im here stationed in Florida can yall give me a update on the Oklahoma River . For example that cool boathouse rendering how is that coming along and what happen to the river boats that trolley up and down the river has that started yet ?

9. Default Re: New developments on Oklahoma River!

The riverboats have started. The boathouses have not.

^ have you or anyone else rode them yet I was thinking it must have been quite a "trip" on the 4th of July.

what's the prices of a trip and where does it orignate and stop ? this is one of the first things i plan on doing when i get back to the "Big Town"
    Last edited by Nawfside OKC; 07-08-2008 at 06:02 PM. Reason: ...

11. Default Re: New developments on Oklahoma River!

I rode them. They did do a special 4th of July trip and sold out I heard. Normally they only run the "public" cruises in the daytime, with private outings in the evening. I think it was $10 or $15 for one way. What we did was ride from Regatta Park near Bricktown to the Meridian Landing. After eating lunch at Golden Palace, we got on the trolley for a free ride back to Regatta Park. Just make sure you get on a trolley that's headed BACK that way, not on it's way FROM there to loop around to all the Meridian hotels.

Nawfside,

Here is a link to their website, which gives you information on their individual cruises, times of departure and fares. I know they are working on putting together several "themed" cruises as part of an educational element about Oklahoma and Oklahoma City.

You can check everything out here: Oklahoma River Cruises

Here are the two new hotels going up on the river at Meridian Landing. I snapped these quick pics from my phone on Friday night:

14. Default Re: New developments on Oklahoma River!

Hey Metro. Do you know how close these hotels butt up to the river? I know this portion of the Oklahoma Rvr isn't doesn't have that ugly rocking on both sides. It looks like a river. Don't they have plans to landscape it?

15. Default Re: New developments on Oklahoma River!

They are within 30 feet of the river and there is no parking between the river and the building. They will probably put the pool area there.

Meridian landing - where is that?

Just about a block or two east of Meridian on SW 15th. It's a new riverpark area/ where they load/unload the new river cruiser boats and where these two hotels are going up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    Nawfside,

Here is a link to their website, which gives you information on their individual cruises, times of departure and fares. I know they are working on putting together several "themed" cruises as part of an educational element about Oklahoma and Oklahoma City.

You can check everything out here: Oklahoma River Cruises
    thanks for the link maam they have nicely priced rates.On the website it said no swimming or diving off the vessel (man I was kinda planning on doing that ) yeah rite

Default Oklahoma River Development

By 2014, we should have these landmarks on the Oklahoma River. Great places for OKC vacationers to visit:

1. Native American Cultural Museum
    2. Ferris Wheel
    3. Chesapeake Boat Finish Line Tower

What else?
    Last edited by Pete; 02-07-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Default Re: Future landmarks on the Oklahoma River

Doubt we see #2 by then. Could be wrong, but the economy better start improving a little quicker for Humphreys to start that development.

A Ferris Wheel? R U kidding me? And it's Kirk Humphrey's baby?

Quote Originally Posted by possumfritter View Post
    A Ferris Wheel? R U kidding me? And it's Kirk Humphrey's baby?
    He bought the Ferris Wheel that was at Santa Monica Pier in California. The plan was/is to erect it on the south side of the river at the old downtown airpark as part of a larger development.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354121,00.html

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — Round and round it will go, but where it finally ends up no one knows.

The new owner of the Santa Monica Pier's Ferris wheel said he plans to resurrect the attraction in Oklahoma City, though he's not sure exactly where. Grant Humphreys plunked down $132,400 for the ride in a 10-day eBay auction, beating out five others in a bidding war that went back and forth through 35 offers.

Man, I haven't been out to the Santa Monica Pier since the 70's. I have got to go check this out. Thanks for the info!

Well, if Grant Humphreys has that kind of pocket change (132k) to buy a Ferris Wheel on e-bay, then I am sure he must have some spare change laying around to clean up his vacant lots out here in NW OKC!

Kerry,

Since you knew that about the Ferris Wheel, can you answer this one for me, please (totally off topic)?

Humphreys Realty has several parcels out here on Council between Hefner and NW122 just a toads spit away from land owned by Putnam City School District. There has been a rumor going around these parts for a few years that this property will become the new Hefner Middle School...when the school district comes up with the money to purchase the property from Humphreys.

Any truth to all that?

Quote Originally Posted by possumfritter View Post
    Kerry,

Since you knew that about the Ferris Wheel, can you answer this one for me, please (totally off topic)?

Humphreys Realty has several parcels out here on Council between Hefner and NW122 just a toads spit away from land owned by Putnam City School District. There has been a rumor going around these parts for a few years that this property will become the new Hefner Middle School...when the school district comes up with the money to purchase the property from Humphreys.

Any truth to all that?

I have no idea. I only knew about the Ferris Wheel from OKCTalk and the newspaper. There are several Humphreys' on this site so maybe one of them will know.

Thread Information