Widgets Magazine

Thread: Remember the racers from the '60s and '70s.

Default Remember the racers from the '60s and '70s.

From when racing was fun.........

**Thanks Village Idiot for the link!

Default Re: Remember the racers from the '60s and '70s.

Frisky do you know any of the the Brothertons that raced at the fairgrounds? Randy Brotherton died recently of cancer I did not know if you knew him or not.

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    Frisky do you know any of the Brothertons that raced at the fairgrounds? Randy Brotherton died recently of cancer I did not know if you knew him or not.
    Sorry to hear that. I knew of the Brothertons, but didn't know any personally.

My favorite was always Harold Leep.

I remember a Hambone Somebody.

Todd Coker.

Bob Womack (Ford Man) for Dub Richardson Ford & Cliff Armstrong for Downtown Chevrolet (Old Reliable)!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK View Post
    [/video]

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    ...ditto!

Do you remember what was unusual about his 1957 Fairlane 500? I will give you a hint, it was classified for racing purposes as "Super Stock".
    C. T,
    Quote Originally Posted by CarltonsKeeper View Post
    Bob Womack (Ford Man) for Dub Richardson Ford & Cliff Armstrong for Downtown Chevrolet (Old Reliable)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Do you remember what was unusual about his 1957 Fairlane 500? I will give you a hint, it was classified for racing purposes as "Super Stock".
    C. T,
    his 64 ford was the best one

But, his 1957 was the only car that could beat the 57 Chevy "Super Stock" and he beat them consistently. If you remember, Super Stock was a factory enhancement, you couldn't modify your own vehicle. You could do all of the blueprinting and tuning and insuring that it was in proper drag racing condition, but no actual non-factory things. You couldn't add 3 two barrel carbs or special exhaust systems. Plus, the 64 (I was gone then but have a friend with a 64) had a 427 c. i. engine. The 57 only had a 312 c. i. engine. The Chevy SS had a 327 c.i. engine and had 3 factory installed two bbl carbs and the Ford SS had a factory installed supercharger and I believe two 4 bbl carbs.
    C. T.
    his 64 ford was the best one

Was the late, great, Don Strawn a part of the group to which you are referring?
    (I know that he at least supported a lot of racers and was a great guy . . .)

But, his 1957 was the only car that could beat the 57 Chevy "Super Stock" and he beat them consistently. If you remember, Super Stock was a factory enhancement, you couldn't modify your own vehicle. You could do all of the blueprinting and tuning and insuring that it was in proper drag racing condition, but no actual non-factory things. You couldn't add 3 two barrel carbs or special exhaust systems. Plus, the 64 (I was gone then but have a friend with a 64) had a 427 c. i. engine. The 57 only had a 312 c. i. engine. The Chevy SS had a 327 c.i. engine and had 3 factory installed two bbl carbs and the Ford SS had a factory installed supercharger and I believe two 4 bbl carbs.
    C. T.

C.T. What year are you referring to? The 327 c.i. chevy was not introduced until 1962? I'm familiar with the single four barrel carb and the dual 4 barrel version and the fuel injection they offered! Tell me more!!!!!!!!!!!! I remember the 1962 Ford fairlane Thunderbolt super charged version!!

I think my brain was short circuited, I meant 283 c. i., the replacement for the 265 which I think was the first Chevy V8. I actually don't know when the 327 (a version of the 283) came out and I'm sure you are right about that. Don't you remember the 3 twos on the 57 Chevy Bel Air? That's why they whipped butt most of the time. Until Bob Womack (also sponsored by the Womack garage on South West 29th) showed up with his Ford with a blower.
    C. T.
    C.T. What year are you referring to? The 327 c.i. chevy was not introduced until 1962? I'm familiar with the single four barrel carb and the dual 4 barrel version and the fuel injection they offered! Tell me more!!!!!!!!!!!! I remember the 1962 Ford fairlane Thunderbolt super charged version!!

I think my brain was short circuited, I meant 283 c. i., the replacement for the 265 which I think was the first Chevy V8. I actually don't know when the 327 (a version of the 283) came out and I'm sure you are right about that. Don't you remember the 3 twos on the 57 Chevy Bel Air? That's why they whipped butt most of the time. Until Bob Womack (also sponsored by the Womack garage on South West 29th) showed up with his Ford with a blower.
    C. T.
    Everything I remember was a 2bbl set up, single 4 bbl, two 4 bbl & fuel injection. It's my understaning from what I remember and have read that 1958 was the 1st 3-two bbl set up for a chevy V8 (348 c.i.)!! I'm also wrong sometimes - Frisky should know, he's the car guy!!

I Certainly remember the 348, it wasn't their most successful engine. I'm old so even though I seem to remember 3 twos, it could have been 2 fours and possibly fuel injection. I just remember going to the track with my best friend Jack Cummings and loving it when Bobby whupped the Chevys. Of course, I have had Chevys and Fords as well as Chrysler products since and I don't have the "brand" loyalty that I had then.
    C. T.
    Everything I remember was a 2bbl set up, single 4 bbl, two 4 bbl & fuel injection. It's my understaning from what I remember and have read that 1958 was the 1st 3-two bbl set up for a chevy V8 (348 c.i.)!! I'm also wrong sometimes - Frisky should know, he's the car guy!!

Thread Information