Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52

Thread: Nice and shiney!

  1. Default Nice and shiney!

    Is this where we can discussion the airport and rail and such?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    Yep! There is enough interest and traffic around these subjects we felt they deserved their own forum.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    I can see myself hanging out here often...

  4. Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    Fantastic addition! Thanks Pete. :-)

  5. #5

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    Maybe instead of the one gigantic WRWA thread, subjects related to WRWA can be posted subject-for-subject here, without disturbing (by having more topics related to the airport) and possibly confusing those who don't follow it as closely as some of us?

  6. Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    I can talk about my truck. :-D

  7. #7

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    I would like to see our local area local governments buy a few more snow plows.
    Many northern cities equip their sanitation trucks with plows. Why couldn’t we do at least some of this?
    When so much commerce is lost for several days after a major winter storm has ended the plows would easily pay for them
    self’s many,many, many times over during their life.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    I would like to see our local area local governments buy a few more snow plows.
    Many northern cities equip their sanitation trucks with plows. Why couldn’t we do at least some of this?
    When so much commerce is lost for several days after a major winter storm has ended the plows would easily pay for them
    self’s many,many, many times over during their life.
    The City of OKC has enough plows to clear the designated snow routes and that's all they need, surely you don't expect them to clear every neighborhood street in OKC.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    The City of OKC has enough plows to clear the designated snow routes and that's all they need, surely you don't expect them to clear every neighborhood street in OKC.
    No---- they clearly do not have nearly enough equipment to do the job in a timely way.

    When a very high percentage of area population is unable to work or shop for several days unplowed roads cost our city, county and state governments far more money than the cost of removal.

    When sanitation trucks are idled by a storm they could easily be equipped with plows until normal service can be restored.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    No---- they clearly do not have nearly enough equipment to do the job in a timely way.

    When a very high percentage of area population is unable to work or shop for several days unplowed roads cost our city, county and state governments far more money than the cost of removal.

    When sanitation trucks are idled by a storm they could easily be equipped with plows until normal service can be restored.
    Talk about a waste of tax dollars, spends 100's of thousands on snow plows for a once in 20 year snow storm, there's more practical ways to spend the money.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Talk about a waste of tax dollars, spends 100's of thousands on snow plows for a once in 20 year snow storm, there's more practical ways to spend the money.
    Maybe you've been spending too much time at the lake rc, you're "once in 20 year snow storm" seems to be almost a yearly deal around here lately. As someone who can't take off work because the roads are too bad, I went out and bought a 4wd truck after the last couple of years of having to hitch rides with fellow workers who had one. Haven't felt the need for one since I was in my early 20's.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Talk about a waste of tax dollars, spends 100's of thousands on snow plows for a once in 20 year snow storm, there's more practical ways to spend the money.
    You may spend a few hundred thousand to buy plows. But you already have the sanitation trucks and personnel who are typically doing next to nothing in a bad storm. You would easily save millions in lost tax revenue by getting a good size percentage of your population back to work and out shopping quicker.

    Increasing very slow emergency response times and saving lives has its own value.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    There is a OKC news conference going on as I type this.

    They are talking about how emergency response times have been slowed and how people have shoveled out their own streets to help emergency vehicles pass down their streets.



    We don’t have enough plows.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    Let’s also not forget that ice and snow are very hard on our roads.
    This cost tax payers millions if not billions.

    The longer the ice and snow sits on pavement the more damage that’s being done to our roads and to our vehicles, caused by bad roads and accidents.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    or maybe some salt and sand trucks instead of plows for some of the side streets... too many cars along non snow emergency streets for plows.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wambo36 View Post
    Maybe you've been spending too much time at the lake rc, you're "once in 20 year snow storm" seems to be almost a yearly deal around here lately. As someone who can't take off work because the roads are too bad, I went out and bought a 4wd truck after the last couple of years of having to hitch rides with fellow workers who had one. Haven't felt the need for one since I was in my early 20's.
    Wrong again (some things never change), last year was ice (which snow plows and 4 wheel drive vehicles are useless), this time it was mostly snow. I drive a 2 wheel drive Tahoe and have yet to have any problems driving anywhere I wish to go, guess I'm not only more educated on City finaces, but also a better driver.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    I have seen 5 4x4 vehicles stuck in front my house the past 2 winters including one today.
    One of these was a Humvee. It will be tomorrow before a car can navigate this street.

    I even put up a small amount of snow fence for this storm or it would have been worse.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    It would be a lot more convenient if they plowed every single neighborhood but that would be extremely costly, especially in a sprawling city. A lot of cities that get way more snow than OKC like KC, St. Louis, Louisville, etc. basically have the same policy as us. Even Denver only plows residential streets if there is at least 6 inches. On average this place gets 8 inches in a single winter.

    With the exception of this and the Christmas Eve snowstorm it is usually sunny and above freezing within 48 hours after one of our winter events. Freak events like this are something you just have to hunker down for.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Wrong again (some things never change), last year was ice (which snow plows and 4 wheel drive vehicles are useless), this time it was mostly snow. I drive a 2 wheel drive Tahoe and have yet to have any problems driving anywhere I wish to go, guess I'm not only more educated on City finaces, but also a better driver.
    Wow junkie, nice to see you back to your old form and winning personality. I guess you got over getting your feelings hurt every time you got on here. Anyhoo, as someone who gets to respond to emergencies in this weather, I can assure you that it was way more than ice last year. Maybe you don't remember because you were sitting at the lake during last years storm, as I recall. And by the way, if you're as adept at driving as you are accurate about city finances, I'm suprised you still have a license.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wambo36 View Post
    Wow junkie, nice to see you back to your old form and winning personality. I guess you got over getting your feelings hurt every time you got on here. Anyhoo, as someone who gets to respond to emergencies in this weather, I can assure you that it was way more than ice last year. Maybe you don't remember because you were sitting at the lake during last years storm, as I recall. And by the way, if you're as adept at driving as you are accurate about city finances, I'm suprised you still have a license.
    Oh crap, your working in this weather, that's just great, now all we'll hear for the next month is "how great we are, we need new and better equipment for the next storm, we need more money because we work in inclement weather and put ourselves in harms way, wah wah wah.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Oh crap, your working in this weather, that's just great, now all we'll hear for the next month is "how great we are, we need new and better equipment for the next storm, we need more money because we work in inclement weather and put ourselves in harms way, wah wah wah.
    Have you ever worked for extended periods (as in all day) outside as an adult for pay in a blizzards where lives depend on your decisions?
    And if so in what capacity?

  22. #22

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Oh crap, your working in this weather, that's just great, now all we'll hear for the next month is "how great we are, we need new and better equipment for the next storm, we need more money because we work in inclement weather and put ourselves in harms way, wah wah wah.
    You're letting that inferiority complex show.LOL

  23. #23

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    You may spend a few hundred thousand to buy plows. But you already have the sanitation trucks and personnel who are typically doing next to nothing in a bad storm. You would easily save millions in lost tax revenue by getting a good size percentage of your population back to work and out shopping quicker.

    Increasing very slow emergency response times and saving lives has its own value.
    There's probably a cost-benefit analysis someone has done somewhere. If it snows x number of times a year, you can justify spending x number of dollars. The biggest problem in Oklahoma is that we've had two bad snowstorms in two years, but there are years when it never snows. You'd also then have to factor in the life of plows, storage, maintenance, etc. You may be right.....it may be worth it and I think it's clever to add a plow to a sanitation truck, but it is also possible we could go a long time before needing them again.

    You could do what I did and move downtown so you can walk everywhere when it snows! I just got back from the Ford Center and walked to Coffee Slingers this morning. If I didn't happen to have just finished my 16 day stint at work and have a couple of days off, I could have walked to work.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    I would like to see our local area local governments buy a few more snow plows.
    Many northern cities equip their sanitation trucks with plows. Why couldn’t we do at least some of this?
    When so much commerce is lost for several days after a major winter storm has ended the plows would easily pay for them
    self’s many,many, many times over during their life.
    Evidently one of your northern cities isn't faring quite so well.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_localw...ools-and-roads

    Having trucks with plows only helps after a major snowstorm is over. There isn't much that can be done during the middle of a blizzard.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Nice and shiney!

    Betts:

    Hope you have Yak-Tracks attached to your footwear. They have to be the one of the best purchases I have ever made (even w/s&h, were less than $20). in the informercial, they show people jogging on ice (not that you are ever going to see me jogging, ice or not...LOL)

    And if you do decide to get out and walk, be extremely careful of any exposed skin

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Aha nice to see you
    By fred33colors in forum Announcements & Help Desk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2010, 09:44 PM
  2. When was the last time someone did something nice for you?
    By CMSturgeon in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2007, 09:39 PM
  3. That's Nice !
    By TomGirl in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-29-2007, 08:52 PM
  4. Very Nice WSJ Article
    By Doug Loudenback in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-04-2006, 10:51 AM
  5. In this thread we say nice things about Patrick's "nice things" Threads
    By writerranger in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 04:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO