Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
You may spend a few hundred thousand to buy plows. But you already have the sanitation trucks and personnel who are typically doing next to nothing in a bad storm. You would easily save millions in lost tax revenue by getting a good size percentage of your population back to work and out shopping quicker.

Increasing very slow emergency response times and saving lives has its own value.
There's probably a cost-benefit analysis someone has done somewhere. If it snows x number of times a year, you can justify spending x number of dollars. The biggest problem in Oklahoma is that we've had two bad snowstorms in two years, but there are years when it never snows. You'd also then have to factor in the life of plows, storage, maintenance, etc. You may be right.....it may be worth it and I think it's clever to add a plow to a sanitation truck, but it is also possible we could go a long time before needing them again.

You could do what I did and move downtown so you can walk everywhere when it snows! I just got back from the Ford Center and walked to Coffee Slingers this morning. If I didn't happen to have just finished my 16 day stint at work and have a couple of days off, I could have walked to work.