Widgets Magazine
Page 86 of 149 FirstFirst ... 368182838485868788899091136 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 3701

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Scissortail Park

I make a habit of checking the Scissortail Park live feed. Looking right now it appears that the "lake" is overflowing from the North facing webcam.

Quote Originally Posted by aDark View Post
    I make a habit of checking the Scissortail Park live feed. Looking right now it appears that the "lake" is overflowing from the North facing webcam.
    I thought so too but if you look closely you can see the lake level is well below overflow.

I think that standing water is just puddling.

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Scissortail Park

Scissortail Park's potential in the heart of downtown near the Myriad Botanical Gardens may not be realized until it's established--two areas should complement each other.

The Gathering Place in Tulsa cost more than twice as much to construct. IMO this park will have a greater impact on OKC's downtown because it will serve the core--it's proximity on the streetcar route, convention center complex, ballpark, arena and downtown housing will make it unique.

Oklahoma's two largest cities will have new parks that will be among the best in the country.

the gathering place park didn't cost nearly as much as has been reported it was clearly expensive but the price floated includes a bunch of city work that is really unrelated

Everyone knows I sometimes get into platitudes and exaggerations with my glass half full-ness, but here I go again. I believe Scissortail park will be the most impactful MAPS project in the way that it will connect everything together and it's downtown proximity. The foresight to do this, what it is replacing, the connectivity to the river, to Westpark, to be the front lawn of the convention center, and most importantly to be a massive place of community. If anyone has been to the Myriad Gardens lately on nearly any day it is obvious it's just not big enough. Especially in the kids area its hard to even find something to play on..

I do continue to hope they will make a pedestrian connection between MBG and Scissortail, but I am fairly confident they will!

^

You can certainly see the vision starting to come together.

I believe very strongly that the convention center location is an even bigger catalyst. Even though the committee did everything they could to place it between Scissortail and the Myriad Gardens, If that had happened the area around the park could have taken decades to really get going.

As it all played out, I really think the location is by far and away the best placement for the city as a whole.

Random question. Are the pond/s earthen bottomed or concrete? Was curious how much evaporation and seepage takes place and if they will use city water to replenish? My assumption is concrete bottom would keep water longer. Don’t want a dry pond in the park. This question may have been covered already.

Pete's post # 20s7 from 1-1-2019 makes me think it is earthen bottom.

It is earthen with a plastic liner.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    It is earthen with a plastic liner.
    Thanks, was thinking after I posted to add plastic lined. I would assume they work well these days. And much cheaper too. Also curious if they have an auto switch when it gets to a low level to replenish water or if its manual. Or do they even have a method setup? I know with all this rain it seems so far away but our hot summers can suck up some water.

I am curious about the ponds as well. Will they filter out the dirt and be cleaner looking or will it get red when ever it rains like the river?

If you look closely it looks like there are "barriers" that will create a stepped waterfall effect. The only way for this to work if there is is a pump. I'm sure they can pump water in with the same pump, but just a guess.

Will they replace the decking on the bridge of I-40? My wife and I walked over the bridge a few weeks ago and it looks to be in rough shape.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Will they replace the decking on the bridge of I-40? My wife and I walked over the bridge a few weeks ago and it looks to be in rough shape.
    Yes, money has already been allocated for that purpose.

I really hope that they will be able to have full-scale concerts here! That stage and lawn setup there is massive, and would be great for them (and in a much better locale than the Zoo).

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    I really hope that they will be able to have full-scale concerts here! That stage and lawn setup there is massive, and would be great for them (and in a much better locale than the Zoo).
    The challenge is how late bands play. Being so close to OMNI it might have to be over early enough to not upset them? Zoo can go pretty late if not mistaken, at least til 11. But I agree its a nice venue setup. Could have a big Thunder gathering if in playoffs and make it far but I think they might discourage that too. I would also wonder if this is a good 4th of July fireworks venue? Lots of possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    The challenge is how late bands play. Being so close to OMNI it might have to be over early enough to not upset them? Zoo can go pretty late if not mistaken, at least til 11. But I agree its a nice venue setup. Could have a big Thunder gathering if in playoffs and make it far but I think they might discourage that too. I would also wonder if this is a good 4th of July fireworks venue? Lots of possibilities.
    I don't think it would happen often enough to really be an issue. Plus, most would probably happen on the weekends.

They have the Jones Assembly guys doing programming for that lawn so I have to believe they'll at least have occasional concerts there. I'm almost certain they'll get a big name for the grand opening this fall (Gathering Place up in Tulsa got The Roots to play at their grand opening last September).

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    They have the Jones Assembly guys doing programming for that lawn so I have to believe they'll at least have occasional concerts there. I'm almost certain they'll get a big name for the grand opening this fall (Gathering Place up in Tulsa got The Roots to play at their grand opening last September).
    My thing is, the lawn here is perfect for concerts. And the second layer (mushroom head, basically) adds room for 1,000's more. May not be as complete as The Gathering Place, but it is almost perfect for concerts. I have faith, as the Jones Assembly has been killing it.

They built a grandstand for a reason lol of course there will be concerts

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    They built a grandstand for a reason lol of course there will be concerts
    IIRC the grand lawn hold 18k for concerts

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I didn't know that. That has a lot of great potential.

I wish they'd hurry up and announce the official opening weekend. My fall is getting busy already and I really want to be there when they kick it off. Does anyone on this board have any inside scoop on when they'll cut the ribbon?

Thread Information