Widgets Magazine
Page 105 of 147 FirstFirst ... 555100101102103104105106107108109110 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 3659

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Scissortail Park

Hope they have good CCTVs everywhere. It's so easy to get into one of these lawsuits. Literally tripping over a fallen branch has been enough to get some amusement parks in trouble. I'm not sure how the gathering place in Tulsa does it. That place was designed by Germans, and they obviously built it with the expectation that people would be at least somewhat responsible for themselves and not fall off the steep rock staircases and such.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    Hope they have good CCTVs everywhere. It's so easy to get into one of these lawsuits. Literally tripping over a fallen branch has been enough to get some amusement parks in trouble. I'm not sure how the gathering place in Tulsa does it. That place was designed by Germans, and they obviously built it with the expectation that people would be at least somewhat responsible for themselves and not fall off the steep rock staircases and such.
    As a German I can attest that they likely anticipated people falling off stuff and getting hurt, and they just adopted the same mindset of “that will be an important lesson to them” that we have in Germany.

As a child, I would spend the summer (and many school afternoons) at our local Activspielplatz. It was a big piece of forest with plenty of areas for exploring and playing and had minimal supervision. It also had a ton of lumber laying around all over the place, and you could walk up and check out hammers and nails and a saw and other tools. They would write down what tools I checked out, and then 10 year old me was free to disappear into the woods to build a house. Need more lumber? Just knock down one of the old buildings somebody abandoned. Want to build a two story monstrosity? Knock yourself out! Once a week we could sleep in our “city” we build throughout the week. I had so many cute, hits on the head, and rusty nails through my feet. But it was fun and part of the culture there, I would learn to be safe.

Heck, we had a giant tree in front of my kindergarten where we climbed all the time with nobody caring.

As of 8:30am, the southside live feed found here has been taken down. It's been great to see the park during the development from two sides all this time and it's been a great shot of the CBD from the south, especially during dramatic weather.

That sucks

Got out to see the park myself yesterday. The whole area was bustling with people, and it was kind of hard to find parking. I finally snagged a spot on the southwest corner as someone was leaving.

I couldn't help but compare the park to gathering place in Tulsa, even though I know they were built with slightly different goals in mind. Scissortail feels a bit empty in places and spread out, without a lot of star attractions at the moment. It does feel like a really fashionable space to have a music festival in though. The new convention center looming on one side and Social Capital on the other give it a bit of urban engagement, and you can't help but think about what it will be like when more fills in.

It was nice to see the paddle boats heavily utilized. Every boat was constantly in use when I was out there. Gathering place still can't figure that out, despite having a huge boat house...

I feel like the park could probably use more playground equipment. That seems to be what most people were there for. Well, that and the dog park on the other side. Otherwise, it's mostly a lot of open areas at the moment. It will take a couple years at least for some of it to feel like a real park since all the trees and vegetation are still taking root.

I certainly feel that this is a very powerful step forward for OKC, and it is absolutely something that will grow and improve over time. I'm glad they didn't get too ambitious with it and end up wasting a lot of money. This park does what it needs to do, and has a lot of potential to fill in more features as the area grows.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0lmuwow.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	256.9 KB 
ID:	15677

Name:	OpQS6hN.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	15678

Name:	dgB4zQg.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	15679

Name:	oMHEF0K.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	15680

7. Default Re: Scissortail Park

I've gone through the park the last two weekends and agree with all the complimentary comments above. The kids' space is particularly busy and full of people. They should consider expanding it a bit.

The only negative comment I have is secondary to the park itself. You can hear the loud sounds of vehicles on I-40 all through the park and it really ruins any opportunity for a peaceful time. I wish there were a way to create a sound buffer so it would be quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I've gone through the park the last two weekends and agree with all the complimentary comments above. The kids' space is particularly busy and full of people. They should consider expanding it a bit.

The only negative comment I have is secondary to the park itself. You can hear the loud sounds of vehicles on I-40 all through the park and it really ruins any opportunity for a peaceful time. I wish there were a way to create a sound buffer so it would be quieter.
    If I'm remembering correctly, the original plan was to bury that stretch of I-40 about 20 feet below ground level to avoid this, but they were forced to abandon that due to issues with the water table, so it's now only about 5 feet below ground level, which isn't enough to make much of a difference with regards to noise. Unfortunate, but I still think the relocated I-40 is in a much better spot relative to the original I-40.

The city or state should strongly consider capping I-40 between Hudson and Robinson at some point in the future to ease noise levels in the park and also improve walkability between the north and south sections of the park. Personally, I think the lack of an I-40 cap in MAPS 4 is a much bigger missed opportunity than the aquarium. The only thing I can think of is that maybe it's not feasible given that the Robinson overpass and Scissortail Bridge are already in place. Otherwise, however, I really think that this would be a great way to improve what's already a very promising park.

I think just having mature trees will make a good difference with the noise.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    If I'm remembering correctly, the original plan was to bury that stretch of I-40 about 20 feet below ground level to avoid this, but they were forced to abandon that due to issues with the water table, so it's now only about 5 feet below ground level, which isn't enough to make much of a difference with regards to noise. Unfortunate, but I still think the relocated I-40 is in a much better spot relative to the original I-40.

The city or state should strongly consider capping I-40 between Hudson and Robinson at some point in the future to ease noise levels in the park and also improve walkability between the north and south sections of the park. Personally, I think the lack of an I-40 cap in MAPS 4 is a much bigger missed opportunity than the aquarium. The only thing I can think of is that maybe it's not feasible given that the Robinson overpass and Scissortail Bridge are already in place. Otherwise, however, I really think that this would be a great way to improve what's already a very promising park.
    I thought it was that they were going to go down 16 feet but hit bedrock unexpectedly at 12? IDK, my memory sucks, but sound walls seem cheaper than a cap.

THIS. I was pretty shocked that they didnt bring in mature trees. I know it is rather expensive but it makes such a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I thought it was that they were going to go down 16 feet but hit bedrock unexpectedly at 12? IDK, my memory sucks, but sound walls seem cheaper than a cap.
    Improved sound walls over what they have right now would probably be fine as well. And really, it's not the end of the world either way. The east side of Lake Hefner is one of the noisiest places in OKC and those parks and trails still get plenty of activity. Just think that if you're going to cap one stretch of highway in OKC, this makes more sense than the Innovation District plan that was floated around for a while before ultimately being scaled down.

Noticed this while walking between the park and the river this morning. Lmao.

Name:	8FC80194-7AF0-4558-A542-533DCF4A799F.jpeg 
Views:	305 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	15705

The city needs to nip this in the bud and just buy that parcel. It needs to be part of the park. The lack of forward thinking can be astounding, especially if this lot gets developed and it splits the park in two.

15. Default Re: Scissortail Park

The city tried to buy that lot, but Cusack's tried to extort them.

Kind of puts the lie to the idea that they have to completely alter their interior layout without this piece of land.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    The city needs to nip this in the bud and just buy that parcel. It needs to be part of the park. The lack of forward thinking can be astounding, especially if this lot gets developed and it splits the park in two.
    Easy to say when it is not your money (or in this case, your constituents money). OKC tried buying it, as mentioned earlier, and the owner tried to rob the citizens blind. Can't buy what truly does not want to be sold.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    The city tried to buy that lot, but Cusack's tried to extort them.
    i am aware. at some point you have to pay the price to do things the right way. a braum's here would be a disaster.

$5.6 million is steep for sure, but this is supposed to be a world class park. they werent asking for $200 million. why didnt they pursue eminent domain and have a court decide? similar to U-Haul property, the city is tripping over dollars to pick up a dime. there's a cost to cheaping out.

20. Default Re: Scissortail Park

So maybe some investigation into where Cusaks does business and do some well, placed publicity - "encouraging" Cusaks to be a good corporate citizen or encourage their customers to buy meat elsewhere?

21. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Personally, I say "good for them!" It's for sale - so if the city wants it, they can pay whatever the market dictates its worth and if Cusack's is good with that price, then they'll sell. If not, it's there's to do with as they please.

Love how if someone doesn't sell something THEY OWN for the price THEY WANT then somehow they are 'extorting' or are bad guys who need to be protested or boycotted. The city knew ago this was going to be an issue and pushed forward with the project. This isn't some sort of necessity for the good people of Oklahoma and it certainly doesn't make Cusack's a 'bad citizen.'

Cusack's has been in that sh*thole of an area for a long time when the city or nobody else wanted to be there. Now that it's desirable, they don't want to pay the rate that comes along with being desirable. Sorry, not sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Personally, I say "good for them!" It's for sale - so if the city wants it, they can pay whatever the market dictates its worth and if Cusack's is good with that price, then they'll sell. If not, it's there's to do with as they please.

Love how if someone doesn't sell something THEY OWN for the price THEY WANT then somehow they are 'extorting' or are bad guys who need to be protested or boycotted. The city knew ago this was going to be an issue and pushed forward with the project. This isn't some sort of necessity for the good people of Oklahoma and it certainly doesn't make Cusack's a 'bad citizen.'

Cusack's has been in that sh*thole of an area for a long time when the city or nobody else wanted to be there. Now that it's desirable, they don't want to pay the rate that comes along with being desirable. Sorry, not sorry.
    Charging a highly inflated price, along with that stupid saying on the sign, is exploitation at least, extortion at worst.

23. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Charging a highly inflated price, along with that stupid saying on the sign, is exploitation at least, extortion at worst.
    The property is "For Sale." If the city wants to buy it (or someone else buy it and donate it to the city) then they can if they want to pay the OWNER'S price. One of the main motivators to buying property is return on investment. People 'sit' on property for decades and do nothing with it while they simply speculate on how high the value will eventually go. While the price may be way more than it was 20 years ago, that's not a negative of the property owner. If the property owner can get more than the city was willing to pay - why shouldn't he? Why should the owner have to sell to the city at their price? If it was truly infrastructure like a highway or critical utilities, that's one thing. This is a freaking park. I hope the property owner makes a small fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    The property is "For Sale." If the city wants to buy it (or someone else buy it and donate it to the city) then they can if they want to pay the OWNER'S price. One of the main motivators to buying property is return on investment. People 'sit' on property for decades and do nothing with it while they simply speculate on how high the value will eventually go. While the price may be way more than it was 20 years ago, that's not a negative of the property owner. If the property owner can get more than the city was willing to pay - why shouldn't he? Why should the owner have to sell to the city at their price? If it was truly infrastructure like a highway or critical utilities, that's one thing. This is a freaking park. I hope the property owner makes a small fortune.
    i agree with most of this

however one of cusack's claims was that the lot in question was neccessary for the operation of their building for truck back in ... and with out is they would have to renovate their building and in doing so would have to update a bunch of things that they are currently grandfathers in on and that was why their ask at the ED was going to be so high ..

now that they are marketing this property for sale for parking the previous claim seems like it was untrue? that being the case the city IMHO should refile their ED claims

25. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i agree with most of this

however one of cusack's claims was that the lot in question was neccessary for the operation of their building for truck back in ... and with out is they would have to renovate their building and in doing so would have to update a bunch of things that they are currently grandfathers in on and that was why their ask at the ED was going to be so high ..

now that they are marketing this property for sale for parking the previous claim seems like it was untrue? that being the case the city IMHO should refile their ED claims
    No. I get that gripe. I think it was simply their positioning to try and get the city to give in. I don't necessarily like it, but it's not much different than you get from many sales people/positions. I wouldn't say it rises to the level of 'exploitive' or 'extortion.' The city didn't bite, and the price will be the price. If it's reasonable now, then the city should relook at it, but, if they can get a much higher price then they should IMO. But, yeah, I get where that might annoy some - but to me, that's as outraged as I think the matter deserves.

Thread Information