Widgets Magazine
Page 96 of 147 FirstFirst ... 46919293949596979899100101146 ... LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 3659

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

They have already pushed back the deadline twice due to weather this summer.
    Didn't know that.

I am not sure how they would handle it.

Blog Entries

Was by there about two hours ago. There was a lot of activity on the west side that looks like they are starting to clean up, remove some construction equipment, staged products, etc.

I go by about every 4 or 5 days and the change is happening rapidly when you don't watch it every day. Like the tail end of finishing building a house.

Blog Entries

I've been by there a few times around sunset and the workers are just finishing up for the day, so I bet they are working sun up to sun down every weekday if not every day.

Press release:

Stage set for a variety of musical genres to celebrate Grand Opening Weekend

Saturday night line-up features Billy Jones Band, and Markus James & the Wassonrai

OKLAHOMA CITY – From the Mississippi Delta, to West Africa, and all points in between, there will be something for most every musical taste during the Grand Opening weekend celebration of Scissortail Park from September 27-29.

Friday night kicks off with a free concert by Kings of Leon followed by more incredible music on Saturday and Sunday. All of the concerts are free and open to the public.

On Saturday, September 28, one of the most requested variety show bands in the mid-South, the Billy Jones Band, will perform from 7:30 to 9 p.m. on the Love’s Travel Stops Stage located near the corner of Oklahoma City Boulevard and Robinson Avenue on the northeast side of the Park.

Born in the Deep South, band leader Billy Jones grew up in his grandfather's bar, listening to blues in different juke joints and bars. Among his influences are Elmore James, Big Joe Turner, Jackie Wilson, B. B. King, Muddy Waters, Sam Cooke and other great blues and soul musicians. His band boasts a repertoire that encompasses a number of musical styles.

At 9:30 p.m., Markus James and the Wassonrai will bring their upbeat blend of African and American Delta music to the stage for a show sure to intrigue and delight. This performance, part of a genre called desert blues practiced by nomadic groups of the Sahara, is in a style considered the root of the American blues genre. Instrumentation features the Kameme n’goni, an eight-stringed hunter’s harp of the Wassoulou people, the krurbu and njarka violin that is played by the Sonrai people, and the calabash and Bolon, a three-stringed gourd bass. Vocals alternate between Bambara, Sonrai and English, with North Mississippi-style trance riffs, singing and rapping in English and Bambara, mixed with harmonica and long jams.

James has been instrumental in exposing American audiences to West African roots music. His most recent album, Snakeskin Violin, has been called a “vital mix of the Mississippi Delta and Mali, a cultural exchange of haunting beauty and mystery.”

“We are thrilled to bring such a wide range of musical styles to enjoy during Grand Opening Weekend at Scissortail Park,” said Maureen Heffernan, CEO and president of Scissortail Park Foundation. “I would greatly encourage the public to attend and enjoy the straight ahead blues of Billy Jones and introduce yourself to the unique and mesmerizing sound of Markus James and the Wassronrai. You will be fascinated by the music and its transcendent quality to speak to everyone.”

As previously announced, the Oklahoma City Philharmonic will close out the festivities on Sunday night with a concert featuring music inspired by nature. More information about the OKC Philharmonic and other activities during the Grand Opening weekend will be released soon.

The new Scissortail Park is in the heart of a revitalized downtown Oklahoma City. This public space is part of the MAPS 3 program that envisions a healthy and vibrant quality of life for our city while serving as an investment in the future. Every detail is designed for connection – with nature, neighbors and ourselves. It is a place for play, culture, celebration and inspiration.

Scissortail Park features a variety of engaging experiences within 70 urban acres ranging from ornamental gardens and woodlands, to a lake and boathouse, children’s playground, grand promenade, water features, outdoor roller rink, an enclosed dog park, interactive fountain and much more.

Designed by one of the foremost landscape architecture planning firms in the world, Hargreaves Associates, the Park is also a horticultural tapestry of native prairie grasses, lush flower gardens and tree-lined walkways. Together we have created something spectacular. For everyone.

5. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Anybody know who's opening for Kings of Leon?

Live feed south of the lake shows sod finally being laid.

https://www.senserasystems.com/publi...d/M68776484796

Quote Originally Posted by aDark View Post
    Live feed south of the lake shows sod finally being laid.

https://www.senserasystems.com/publi...d/M68776484796
    And that's the dog park up the upper left corner.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    Anybody know who's opening for Kings of Leon?
    Broncho and Republican Hair was who I heard, I'll try to find confirmation.

Edit: Here's an article about it. https://www.visitokc.com/articles/po...grand-opening/

Very impressive job the General Contractor is doing....lots of progress being made. Good job!

They are hauling for sure.

Just about a month away from the grand opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They are hauling for sure.

Just about a month away from the grand opening.
    I hope we have traffic lights by then, too.

13. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I hope we have traffic lights by then, too.
    We have pretty blinking red ones at both ends of the park right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I saw them working in the electronics cabinets today so the blinking ones will probably be turned on fairly soon. No telling how long it will be before the others will be operational. The same kind of lights are on Sheridan over by the Myriad Gardens and a couple were damaged several weeks ago and they still haven't been replaced. They must be hard to come by.

16. Default Re: Scissortail Park

I'm sorry to do this but I'm on my phone. This seemed to be as good a place as any because of what could be around the new park. In the Dallas Morning News there is a good article about how Ft. Worth is pushing for a developer to build a 30 story apartment building in their downtown. It goes over tax incentives the city is offering. I can't copy and paste a link so if anyone is interested, can you get that link and post it? This is something OKC could use around the park or involved with a larger project in the Cotton Gin area. It would also make Plutonic Panda really happy.

Blog Entries

May or may not be suited for Scissortail Park or Cotton Mill, here's your link . . .

Tax incentives could kickstart Fort Worth's first high rise residential development in 30 years: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...-rise-30-years There are people in Fort Worth who oppose this development . . .

18. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Thanks for the link. Feel free to put it in a better place.

I thought it was interesting to show how other cities are using tax incentives for something that absolutely would be appropriate around the park or the Cotton Mill. Go look at the artist rendering of the Aquarium in the other thread. Looks like mid to high rise residential included.

19. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Hm, i was hoping that the water in the park would be a little less brown than that since it's a closed system.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Hm, i was hoping that the water in the park would be a little less brown than that since it's a closed system.....
    I would think once ground cover is fully placed and rooted, and the water sediment has time to settle, the water will clear up significantly. Some things need time.

Quote Originally Posted by DelCamino View Post
    Very impressive job the General Contractor is doing....lots of progress being made. Good job!
    More props to the trade workers who are sticking with it through the heat under the pressure of a tight deadline to make it happen.

22. Default Re: Scissortail Park

^ otherwise the contractor loses incentive $$.

Just as we saw with the "completed" OKC Boulevard, they deemed it "finished" so dollars could change hands.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    August 23, 2019

OKCPHIL to conclude Grand Opening Celebration Sunday, September 29
    Musical selections will be nature-themed and feature guest vocalists Courtney Crouse and Kelly Holst

OKLAHOMA CITY – To cap three days of celebration, OKCPHIL will perform a variety of classic pieces for everyone to enjoy on the Love’s Travel Stops Stage on Sunday, September 29 beginning at 7 p.m. Many of the works to be performed during this free concert will be nature-themed including Lark Ascending by Vaughn Williams, Waltz of the Flowers from the Nutcracker, by Tchaikovsky, and Firebird Finale, by Stravinsky.

“The OKCPHIL and Maestro Mickelthwate would like to welcome everyone out to the Grand Opening celebration of Scissortail Park when the OKCPHIL will perform a family-friendly night of wonderful music in the open air,” said Susan Webb, director of marketing and public relations for OKCPHIL. “We have an exciting program planned with several favorites including Aaron Copland’s Fanfare for the Common Man and Mussorgsky’s Night on Bald Mountain. We look forward to sharing this grand opening experience, which we think everyone will enjoy, with our Oklahoma City community.”

Tracing its roots back to the city’s first professional orchestra in 1924, the Oklahoma City Philharmonic formed in 1988 under the musical direction of Joel Levine with the help of dedicated civic leaders and corporations. In 2018, Alexander Mickelthwate was named the second music director of the Oklahoma City Philharmonic.

Throughout the years, the orchestra has performed a diverse selection of music with many different stars. Guest artists have included Itzhak Perlman, Amy Grant, Yo Yo Ma, Joshua Bell, Tony Bennett, Olivia Newton-John, Bebe Neuwirth, Sir James Galway, Chris Botti, Renee Fleming and most recently Kristin Chenoweth, Kelli O’Hara, Pink Martini, and Ben Folds.

“I can’t think of a better way to conclude the Grand Opening weekend than sitting in the Park listening to the philharmonic playing,” said Maureen Heffernan, CEO and president of Scissortail Park Foundation. “We are fortunate to have such a world-class orchestra in our city dedicated to supporting the community in this way. Many of the selections are nature-themed and I think everyone will really enjoy hearing these pieces.”

The new Scissortail Park is in the heart of a revitalized downtown Oklahoma City. This public space is part of the MAPS 3 program that envisions a healthy and vibrant quality of life for our city while serving as an investment in the future. Every detail is designed for connection – with nature, neighbors and ourselves. It is a place for play, culture, celebration and inspiration.

Scissortail Park features a variety of engaging experiences within 70 urban acres ranging from ornamental gardens and woodlands, to a lake and boathouse, children’s playground, grand promenade, water features, outdoor roller rink, an enclosed dog park, interactive fountain and much more.

Designed by one of the foremost landscape architecture planning firms in the world, Hargreaves Associates, the Park is also a horticultural tapestry of native prairie grasses, lush flower gardens and tree-lined walkways. Together we have created something spectacular. For everyone.

Opens 1 month from today

I imagine last night's storm will be a significant set back

Thread Information