Widgets Magazine
Page 57 of 149 FirstFirst ... 75253545556575859606162107 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 3701

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Central Park

Land Run Park should be right out IMO, due to the negative history there. Unity Park just sounds weird to me.

Union Park is my favorite out of the five, I liked Union Commons, but I figured that the Park variant would be more popular.

Scissortail Park and Skydance Park would end up being two versions of pretty much the same name/theme, so I don't know if I would want to keep both of them in the running. If I had to choose between the two I would probably pick Scissortail Park with the connection to the Skydance Bridge.

Nobody voted for Oklahoma City Park? What is the world coming to?

I kind of like just naming it after a bird with no historical connection to the name besides just being a bird. Union Park is also ok.

down vote "Land Run Park" ....please!!

Quote Originally Posted by shadfar View Post
    down vote "Land Run Park" ....please!!
    Especially since there is the large land run monument and corresponding park in Lower Bricktown.

I submitted both Ikana Park (Chickasaw word for friend)
    and......
    Drumroll please:
    Okchamali Park -pronunced "oak-cha-ma-lee" (Chickasaw word for both blue and green, which you'll be seeing most of at the park, grass and sky)
    Not to mention the logos they can produce with the OKC capitalized

OKChamali Park

It works on all levels

Quote Originally Posted by cedbled View Post
    and......
    Drumroll please:
    Okchamali Park -pronunced "oak-cha-ma-lee" (Chickasaw word for both blue and green, which you'll be seeing most of at the park, grass and sky)

OKChamali Park

It works on all levels
    Love these suggestions. I'm also a fan of Union Park or Union Commons.

Quote Originally Posted by cedbled View Post
    and......
    Drumroll please:

OKChamali Park

It works on all levels
    OKChamali Park, I like it! It's also the Choctaw word for green as well (we have a separate word for blue, which is "okchakko").

I submitted Riverfront park and Red Bud park

Hudson is almost finished on the west side of the park.

The asphalt strip is for the streetcar rails which will lead to the maintenance facility (just behind me in this photo).

Construction bids for the upper park -- estimated at $60 million -- are due by May 2nd with the plan to start construction in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Construction bids for the upper park -- estimated at $60 million -- are due by May 2nd with the plan to start construction in June.
    Very exciting to hear. I cannot wait to watch this park unfold.

13. Default Re: Central Park

Excited about this park! Love the setting. My kiddos/wife love the MBG and we participate in a lot of the programmed activities that go on there. Hopefully, the interfacing and synthesis between the new park and MBG is maintained. Can't wait.

Something that would be nice is a pedestrian bridge of sorts from MBG to the park so that people can freely go between the two parks. That's one big drawback of the boulevard and all of the parking lots; the separation between the parks

I guess you could always jump on the streetcar and ride it back and forth between the two parks, but it would be nice to have a pedestrian connection.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Something that would be nice is a pedestrian bridge of sorts from MBG to the park so that people can freely go between the two parks. That's one big drawback of the boulevard and all of the parking lots; the separation between the parks
    As a matter of pragmatism, based on the programming expected at each park, what is going to draw people to walk from park to park? Seems like people will go to one or the other for different reasons and not just be somehow compelled to leave one to go to the other. This will be especially true when the blocks between the two are developed, won't it. I don't think people just go park hopping, do they?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Depending on how the land between the 2 parks gets developed, that may not even be a possibility. Hopefully it is, but there's no guarantees at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Depending on how the land between the 2 parks gets developed, that may not even be a possibility. Hopefully it is, but there's no guarantees at this point.
    Happy Birthday Teo!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Happy Birthday Teo!!
    Thank you, Pete!

Hopefully next year I get to celebrate my 30th in "Union Park"

I also would like to celebrate my 30th next year.

Is there any set plan for the sculpture piece that will be in the Urban Plaza located @ Robinson and Boulevard?

I still think we should do something unique and iconic - this is pretty extreme, but I would love to see a [world's] largest interactive plasma globe type of sculpture. Not a single one exists, and it would instantly be a marketing centerpiece and destination for visitors.

The Arts Commission handles all public art in OKC and every publicly funded project is required to set aside 1% of its budget for public art.

I haven't seen them start this process (solicitation from artists, then selection) as of yet.

http://newsok.com/architect-predicts...rticle/5543121

One thing that stands out about this rendering is the surface parking for the convention center fronting the park. Is there any reason it has to be surface parking and if so, does it have to front the park?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    http://newsok.com/architect-predicts...rticle/5543121

One thing that stands out about this rendering is the surface parking for the convention center fronting the park. Is there any reason it has to be surface parking and if so, does it have to front the park?
    IIRC, that parking lot is for the Convention Center expansion. Someday it should go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    IIRC, that parking lot is for the Convention Center expansion. Someday it should go away.
    Ah yes, Proverbs 231: 3-4 "Let it be known that that surface parking fronting a busy area within the confines of downtown Oklahoma City will one day go away. Just kidding, it stays forever."

Praise be the God of Parking.

Thread Information