Widgets Magazine
Page 51 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4647484950515253545556101 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 3663

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Central Park

I do like the idea of calling the lower park Skydance Park, because 1. It gives emphasis to a park that will otherwise be forgotten, and 2. I appreciate the greater weight on History with Union Park.

Or since we're big fans of the definite article in naming things these days, we could just call it "The Park (by Union Station)" And then people would just naturally refer to it as "Union Park"

2. Default Re: Central Park

i agree,

upper name 'Union Park', lower name 'SkyDance Park'. ..
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I'm betting the powers that be will nix any split naming on the basis of it diminishing the impact of their achievement. Union Park is OK, but the station is important enough to stand on it's own, so I personally really like Skydance Park. It is a name that could be referenced across the country that everyone might know without ever say the words "Oklahoma City". However, I suspect that privilege will fall to The Gathering Place. Nonetheless, I remain hopeful.

The Gathering Place is a nice park but our park could be more iconic if it becomes a masterpiece to the urban core which depends on how the area around it is developed. I wish standards would be set. If our Boulevard was built as envisioned here: https://andrewkstewart.wordpress.com...ity-boulevard/ it would instantly be one of the most amazing and iconic boulevards in this country and could potentially be a bigger boost to this city than the Thunder. Same goes with the park. If they develop it right and set standards now, it could be great. It would be super cool if we could get something like French Quarter in New Orleans around the lower park close to the river. I would also like to see a specific type of architecture around the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The Gathering Place is a nice park but our park could be more iconic if it becomes a masterpiece to the urban core which depends on how the area around it is developed. I wish standards would be set. If our Boulevard was built as envisioned here: https://andrewkstewart.wordpress.com...ity-boulevard/ it would instantly be one of the most amazing and iconic boulevards in this country and could potentially be a bigger boost to this city than the Thunder. Same goes with the park. If they develop it right and set standards now, it could be great. It would be super cool if we could get something like French Quarter in New Orleans around the lower park close to the river. I would also like to see a specific type of architecture around the park.
    I've always liked that idea! The roundabout would offer much better connectivity to the surrounding areas than what is currently proposed, though I'd imagine it wouldn't speed as many cars through which seems to be the number 1 priority of ODOT. The boulevard by the park and the park itself still have great potential imho.

Is there anything at all that can be done to change ODOT's course for building the Boulevard, and implement at least the Market Circle idea? I know there've been rumblings that the City wants to go back in after ODOT relinquishes the Boulevard to the City and fix some of the problems. I absolutely love Andrew Stewart's vision for the Boulevard and I'd be ecstatic if we could make even just half of that come to fruition.

7. Default Re: Central Park

or here's another, better question - can OKC implement the round-a-bout using MAPS?

I know it is a mistake for ODOT and we would be fixing it, but just think of the HUGE implications for Oklahoma City if that roundabout was implemented, even after the fact? And, to have it built-up on all sides. ... I'm salivating and likely it wouldn't cost too much to 'redesign' and implement.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Would almost have been nice if ODOT hadn't funded that monstrosity. The Boulevard as Stewart envisioned it could have been one of the major public works projects in a MAPS 4 that seems to be unclear what it wants to do as far as large-scale capital improvements go. Seems like it would be much harder to convince people we should pay to go in and tear up parts of this one right after it's built, than it would have been to convince them we should build a nice Blvd from scratch.

People didn't vote on ODOT's plan. They had no formal voice in the process. If you presented it on a MAPS ballot (not saying we should) then they have a formal voice in the process.

Took these today.

All the interior roads are pretty much gone and the only utilities are on a temporary set of poles running n/s (first photo).

2nd photo is of Hudson which is being completely rebuilt. Hope they do the same with Robinson as it's something out of a 3rd world country.

3rd photo shows the approximate location of the convention center and hotel.

i vote for Scissortale Park for a name.
    it ties in with the Skydance Bridge.
    Perhaps we could build some nesting sites and convince a few birds to take up residence.
    Imagine standing on the Skydance Bridge and watching the real skydance.

12. Default Re: Central Park

Union Station is such a cool, unique feature of this park.

Also to be cool is the streetcar maintenance facility across the street to the west, which will use limestone from the same quarry that Union Station is built from.

I like Union Park. It's short and sweet and let's the park's merit stand alone. Giving it a name like Scissortail or Skydance park makes it sound like an amusement park or entertainment venue. While it will be really nice and cool, it's still just a greenspace for general outdoor recreation, Just my opinion, but getting fancy with the name will set some undue expectation on the development.

15. Default Re: Central Park

I vote Union Park as well.

16. Default Re: Central Park

Looking at JIMBO's post from above illustrates why Union Park is the clear winner...

Nothing against him, but the spelling issue and one word or two word (or hyphenated!) title will create unnecessary confusion.

I am less concerned about the naming of the new convention center or the Boulevard than I am about the park. The park is going to be for locals. Whenever I tell someone I am going to Myriad Gardens, 99 out of 100 times, they know where I am talking about. This place is going to be for people who live here and people who visit the convention center, since it will be right across the street. I don't think this will be a main attraction for out of towners, unless there is a music festival.

As large as this park will be, I imagine a lot of urban campers will frequent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    As large as this park will be, I imagine a lot of urban campers will frequent.
    Agree, especially as the west part of downtown (21C area) continues to be developed, likely forcing those people elsewhere. There's a pretty large homeless contingent living on the streets downtown. We didn't realize it until we started regularly riding our bicycles down there. Quite a few already hang out in the Myriad Botanical Gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Looking at JIMBO's post from above illustrates why Union Park is the clear winner...

Nothing against him, but the spelling issue and one word or two word (or hyphenated!) title will create unnecessary confusion.
    Nobody ever accused me of being great speller.
    So how about Scissor-Tail Park?
    Or simplified to Scissortail Park?

Is the park going to have any small hills, or it will it all be flat?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Is the park going to have any small hills, or it will it all be flat?
    http://www.okctalk.com/attachment.ph...8&d=1387379904

On this picture of the first page header, there is a 'promontory' at the back of the great lawn.

24. Default Re: Central Park

I'm guessing nothing of significant height will be built in front of Devon Tower lest the view of the park be blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    I'm guessing nothing of significant height will be built in front of Devon Tower lest the view of the park be blocked.
    It's not really in their control, but you can bet that this was one reason for such a strong push of buying the ford site for the CC, even though the economics never made sense.

I would strongly bet that some height will be incorporated in the development of those lots...as long as the massing is pushed toward Harvey and Walker, then Devon will still have a fairly unobstructed view of the park.

Thread Information