Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 147 FirstFirst 12345678954104 ... LastLast

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Central Park

I was crediting the committee for the way they have phased the park; first starting with a basic plan then adding programming later, after the surrounding area has begun to take shape, we see how things play out at the Myriad Gardens, etc.

The park committee can't do anything about where the convention center is located.

It would be so much more better to have the CC where this "sub-station" is because that would leave lots of room for mixed use stuff on the ford site. If there were shopping areas, cafes, and offices with restaurants and stuff, that would be very "pedestrian friendly." Didn't the mayor/the city want the boulevard to be a place that everyone would want to go if they went downtown...It would also connect the myriad gardens to central park. Witch would make central park so much easier to get to from somewhere like the gardens, or the chesapeeke arena, or any other place. Having a Big convention center blocking that flow would leave the boulevard with taxis and buses, rather having tourists and peds.

If the CC went where i think it should be, then it would also bring lots more life closer to the shore...making the existing ground easier do stuff on

^^^opinions have already been hashed on this one in the Convention Center thread. We feel your pain.

But it's also about the park...like i said...the park would be separated in a way from the core of downtown

Quote Originally Posted by skanaly View Post
    But it's also about the park...like i said...the park would be separated in a way from the core of downtown
    He's saying we've already discussed this and everybody shares your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    He's saying we've already discussed this and everybody shares your opinion.
    Thank you Mdot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skanaly View Post
    THe two will be separated...regardless. Either by private development or by the cc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    THe two will be separated...regardless. Either by private development or by the cc.
    I think most all of us understand the inevitability of that. It doesn't mean that we all have to concede that it's the ultimate right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    [CENTER]
    Just noticed something with that map, the N/S streets along the Park are Hudson & Robinson and City officials gave the rationale in locating the Park where they did as giving visitors driving into downtown something more attractive to look at than industrial buildings and vacant lots (which I agree with). Problem is the exits into downtown are NOT either one of these streets. They are Shields (a full block to the East) and Western (7 blocks to the West?). In other words, they aren't even going to be able to see the Park from either of those exits. granted, they will be able to see it from the Boulevard (eaastbound exit is all the way west between Agnew & Penn) and not sure about the location of the other one. Point being, couldn't the Park be located on at least one of the I-40 exits?

City officials gave the rationale in locating the Park where they did as giving visitors driving into downtown something more attractive to look at than industrial buildings and vacant lots
    I believe this was a big part of the thinking behind Core to Shore, of which Central Park is only a part.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Just noticed something with that map, the N/S streets along the Park are Hudson & Robinson and City officials gave the rationale in locating the Park where they did as giving visitors driving into downtown something more attractive to look at than industrial buildings and vacant lots (which I agree with). Problem is the exits into downtown are NOT either one of these streets. They are Shields (a full block to the East) and Western (7 blocks to the West?). In other words, they aren't even going to be able to see the Park from either of those exits. granted, they will be able to see it from the Boulevard (eaastbound exit is all the way west between Agnew & Penn) and not sure about the location of the other one. Point being, couldn't the Park be located on at least one of the I-40 exits?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought at one point there was a plan to have at least partial exits on some streets such as Robinson? I think this whole thing just speaks to the uber pervasiveness of the 2007 Core2Shore mentality. There's this whole, "NO! We already planned out downtown, we can't do it again even if we screwed up!" complex.

There will be a westbound off-ramp onto Robinson, but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    There will be a westbound off-ramp onto Robinson, but that's it.
    And there is no exit to Shields from westbound I-40.

The Park Subcommittee did not meet this month. They did not make quorum. Some people were sick and the time had been bumped.

I am going to put this on the park thread too. There is a TON of relevant information in this recording about what is being thought about the park and how C2S, the CC, and the Blvd to it.

http://soundcloud.com/moderntransitp...maps-3-transit

16. Default Re: Central Park

Thanks for posting this Jeff!

No problem. It turned out so well that we intend to make it part of our standard practice to record these meetings. If we had a videographer willing to donate their time, we would make use of that as well.

I personally take great pride in the level of transparency that the streetcar/hub aspect of MAPS has had. I think that it contributes to people's support of our project.

Also, this particular meeting seemed as though it would hold a great deal of content that should be documented. We have an archival audio recording of a meeting regarding P180 issues/streetcar that could be put up too if people want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    No problem. It turned out so well that we intend to make it part of our standard practice to record these meetings. If we had a videographer willing to donate their time, we would make use of that as well.

I personally take great pride in the level of transparency that the streetcar/hub aspect of MAPS has had. I think that it contributes to people's support of our project.

Also, this particular meeting seemed as though it would hold a great deal of content that should be documented. We have an archival audio recording of a meeting regarding P180 issues/streetcar that could be put up too if people want it.
    When are the meetings Jeff, if they aren't too long, I could bring my FLIP HD on a tripod, that would be more than sufficient for web playback.

Updated acquisition map. They are making great progress:

When will they start demolishing the roads?

Phase I construction is due to commence 2nd Q of 2013 -- so in about a year I would imagine they'd start tearing up all that property.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Updated acquisition map. They are making great progress:

just a NOTE the brown section between parcels V3 and V4 is ODOT land. it is the off ramp from the old I40

An update from the MAP3 advisory board and parks subcommittee.

http://newsok.com/downtown-oklahoma-...rticle/3678358

This is a like.

The city is conducting a survey of buildings in the park's footprint to identify any that could qualify for the National Register of Historic Places. Lowe and others hope to incorporate into the park's design especially important or beautiful buildings, notably the citadel building the Salvation Army currently calls its local home and the city-owned Union Station, to give it immediate historical roots and added atmosphere.

Many of the older and mature trees will likely be kept. Efficient use of resources will be a hallmark of the park, and officials plan to use renewable energy sources for power when possible and to reuse rainwater as part of irrigation efforts.

That is very cool. It is very relieving to hear them taking that perspective - I think they clearly understand that this area is not the blank slate it was thought to be, does have an OKC heritage worth tapping into, and that can be a major resource the park should take advantage of.

I just think it's indicative that we actually have some members of the MAPS3 advisory boards who are interested in doing a good job as opposed to some (can you say convention center?) who are more in tune with special interests.

Thread Information