Widgets Magazine
Page 117 of 147 FirstFirst ... 1767112113114115116117118119120121122 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 3663

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Scissortail Park

I follow okctalk on Facebook and everytime I see Scissortail Park I'm just in awe over it. Once this pandemic is over or atleast under control I'm definitely going to visit.

Blog Entries

See you in 2022

3. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Overplanting is a huge problem in the longer term.

Landscape architects know way, way more than when the original Myriad Gardens was designed in the 80's. And the updated MBG couldn't be a better example. It's gorgeous; every square foot of it.

I trust the group that was selected to landscape Scissortail. The trick is to know how it's going to look 5-20 years down the road and I'm very sure that has all been taken into full consideration.

And even in this very adolescent stage, this park is already a big winner. If you look at those photographs you'll see every single parking space is taken and that was not due to Social Capital, as the images are from Sunday and I counted no more than 20 people there.
    The park is an absolute winner. My family went for the Farmer's Market on Saturday and it was awesome. It's such a great asset.

I'm surprised at how many people are always down there.

And at this point, absolutely nothing surrounding is open other than Social Capital. Soon, we'll have the Omni and convention center and hopefully much more.

As for the park itself, the concert series and opening of Spark had to be put on hold due to the pandemic. And they haven't even started on the lower park which will connect to the river and beyond.

When Union Station is renovated, that will be yet another great asset and draw.

By almost any measure, I think Scissortail has already exceeded expectations and it's only getting started.

I'm surprised at how many people are always down there.

And at this point, absolutely nothing surrounding is open other than Social Capital. Soon, we'll have the Omni and convention center and hopefully much more.

As for the park itself, the concert series and opening of Spark had to be put on hold due to the pandemic. And they haven't even started on the lower park which will connect to the river and beyond.

When Union Station is renovated, that will be yet another great asset and draw.

By almost any measure, I think Scissortail has already exceeded expectations and it's only getting started.
    I'm excited to see the next 5 years of maturing of the park and the area around it. When I was there last it really did feel like I was in a different city than the OKC I grew up in. Felt west-coast almost. Kids playing in the splash pad, people riding their bikes on the main trail, people walking dogs, etc. Very cool to see.

https://scissortailpark.org/calendar/

The stroller walk and the farmer's market are fun events I have participated in. Above is a link to other events at the park. I look forward to more events populating the calender after the virus.

Press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    August 24, 2020

Night Market at Scissortail Park resumes on August 28th
    Enhanced COVID-19 protocols including masks required

OKLAHOMA CITY – Scissortail Park will host its second Night Market event Friday, August 28 from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. After working closely with the OKC-County Health Department and City of Oklahoma City, a new market layout has been approved to ensure proper spacing and COVID-19 protocols.

Vendors will be set up along the Promenade and across the entire Love’s Travel Stops Great Lawn to provide additional space for people to appropriately social distance. Masks will also be required in the shopping areas, inside the mobile boutiques, in bar service lines, and in the food truck lines. Shoppers are asked to please observe the 6-foot social distance recommendations and bring their own masks to wear while participating.

“At Scissortail Park, we strive to offer our community safe, quality programming and events,” said Maureen Heffernan, Scissortail Park CEO. “The Night Market was created to support local small businesses in an outdoor environment offering ample space to spread out and social distance. In order to continue to provide these types of programs at Scissortail Park, we are asking the community to assist us by adhering to the established guidelines.”

This month’s Night Market will also debut Downtown Starlight, a mobile light and sound experience from Factory Obscura. As the sun sets, Downtown Starlight will begin to shine, along with an original soundtrack, surrounded by illuminated performers at Scissortail Park. This project is made possible by a micro-grant from Downtown Oklahoma City Partnership and Urban Land Institute Oklahoma. Downtown Oklahoma City Initiatives has funded nearly $40,000 in micro-grants to help fund individuals or organizations with project plans to lift the spirits of the community through place making and public art, and to drive support of downtown districts and businesses.

The new Scissortail Park is in the heart of a revitalized downtown Oklahoma City. This public space is part of the MAPS 3 program that envisions a healthy and vibrant quality of life for our city while serving as an investment in the future. Every detail is designed for connection – with nature, neighbors and ourselves. It is a place for play, culture, celebration and inspiration.

Scissortail Park features a variety of engaging experiences within 70 urban acres ranging from ornamental gardens and woodlands, to a lake and boathouse, children’s playground, grand promenade, water features, outdoor roller rink, an enclosed dog park, interactive fountain and much more.

Designed by one of the foremost landscape architecture planning firms in the world, Hargreaves Associates, the Park is also a horticultural tapestry of native prairie grasses, lush flower gardens and tree-lined walkways. Together we have created something spectacular. For everyone.

Scissortail Park is managed by Scissortail Park Foundation, a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization.

8. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Looking forward to it. Had a great time last time.

The night time market is a hit with everyone. We enjoyed roller skating, kettle corn, and live music.

We hit the market last night. This could be so much more with a little better planning. The vendors are strung out mostly along Robinson with few over on the other side of the great lawn oddly by themselves. There were two places to get beer and they were the same company and were about 75 ft apart versus putting one on the other end of the vendors, The food trucks were very limited and also somewhat removed from the vendors and the park.

Although not an expert on outdoor festivals, I have been an artist at numerous art fairs all over the region including some of the top ten and have seen what works to drive people towards vendors and draw crowds. IMHO, the vendors should be located around the great lawn on both sides or place them in a location where they are closer together with vendors on both sides, Vendors come to festivals to sale and having a location which funnels the most people by is what they want. They do not want to be the last vendor furthest south on Robinson far away from the lawn where the action was. The great lawn is surrounded on both sides by wide sidewalks, if they are built to support vehicles, I would place the food trucks there or bring them in tighter just north of the pavilion where they are closer together and also bring in some of the more popular known food trucks.

Success breeds success. The better the vendor and food sales, the more vendors and trucks will sign up to do the show bringing in more crowds. I am still active in several art show forums and can tell you the bad shows to avoid based on what other artists are saying. (think of the crowds Hand8th pulled in)

It is a good start and great idea and I am not knocking it. Just pointing out that with some planning and tweaking...this could morph into something really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    We hit the market last night. This could be so much more with a little better planning. The vendors are strung out mostly along Robinson with few over on the other side of the great lawn oddly by themselves. There were two places to get beer and they were the same company and were about 75 ft apart versus putting one on the other end of the vendors, The food trucks were very limited and also somewhat removed from the vendors and the park.

Although not an expert on outdoor festivals, I have been an artist at numerous art fairs all over the region including some of the top ten and have seen what works to drive people towards vendors and draw crowds. IMHO, the vendors should be located around the great lawn on both sides or place them in a location where they are closer together with vendors on both sides, Vendors come to festivals to sale and having a location which funnels the most people by is what they want. They do not want to be the last vendor furthest south on Robinson far away from the lawn where the action was. The great lawn is surrounded on both sides by wide sidewalks, if they are built to support vehicles, I would place the food trucks there or bring them in tighter just north of the pavilion where they are closer together and also bring in some of the more popular known food trucks.

Success breeds success. The better the vendor and food sales, the more vendors and trucks will sign up to do the show bringing in more crowds. I am still active in several art show forums and can tell you the bad shows to avoid based on what other artists are saying. (think of the crowds Hand8th pulled in)

It is a good start and great idea and I am not knocking it. Just pointing out that with some planning and tweaking...this could morph into something really cool.
    I agree Jeep. I had hoped they would be spread out over the whole park to.make people feel more comfortable and encourage people to explorer the lesser used parts of the park.

Press release:

John Fullbright at Scissortail Park September 26

WHAT: To celebrate the upcoming one-year anniversary of Scissortail Park’s grand opening, a special Live from the Lawn concert is scheduled on Saturday, September 26. The free, live show features Oklahoma’s own, Grammy-nominated singer/songwriter, John Fullbright with a special guest.
    Live from the Lawn presented by Oklahoma Natural Gas and Richard and Glenna Tanenbaum is also supported by Spark Creative, Downtown Oklahoma City Partnership and Cory’s Audio Visual.

Additional details for the anniversary celebration are coming soon.

WHEN: Saturday, September 26, 2020
    8pm Opening Act
    9pm John Fullbright

WHERE: Love’s Travel Stops Stage and Great Lawn at Scissortail Park
    On the 4.4-acre great lawn providing ample space to enjoy a free outdoor concert while practicing responsible social distancing.

13. Default Re: Scissortail Park

John Fullbright at Scissortail Park September 26
    Fullbright is talented. Got to see him twice in January at Mile 0 Fest.

Lower Scissortail Park getting closer to groundbreaking and should be open in a couple years according to Mayor Holt:

https://m.facebook.com/MayorDavidHol...pe=3&source=57

How disappointing. It won't be much of a park unless they find a way to restore the funds and add the "alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    How disappointing. It won't be much of a park unless they find a way to restore the funds and add the "alternatives.
    Which alternatives are these? I am afraid I have missed something. Do you have a link I could read?

My allergies are not looking forward to the “cottonwood forest.”

Quote Originally Posted by HHE View Post
    Which alternatives are these? I am afraid I have missed something. Do you have a link I could read?

So 4,000,000 was removed from the lower park (south) to fund additional items in the upper park (north). If the bid comes in low then they may add back some of the "alternatives". Soccer fields light, fencing, and equipment, two shades structures by soccer field, nature play elements, sports courts field equipment , fencing, nd lighting, woodland trails as well as lighting and seating .hill pavilion (restrooms and potential concessions), extension of the promenade from 14th to 15th street. No traditional playground equipment is included in the base bid or alternatives. Add alternatives total approximately 4.5 million.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    So 4,000,000 was removed from the lower park (south) to fund additional items in the upper park (north). If the bid comes in low then they may add back some of the "alternatives". Soccer fields light, fencing, and equipment, two shades structures by soccer field, nature play elements, sports courts field equipment , fencing, nd lighting, woodland trails as well as lighting and seating .hill pavilion (restrooms and potential concessions), extension of the promenade from 14th to 15th street. No traditional playground equipment is included in the base bid or alternatives. Add alternatives total approximately 4.5 million.

Well that is alot, and some of those things would be a pain to put in later. I was under the impression that the convention center was under budget and there was extra money, hence the addition of the 4th Street experience.

Do you know the approximate date when the lower park was defunded? Do you know why it wasn't refunded with the extra Maps 4 money? Didn't the stadium at the fair grounds receive extra funding from the surplus? Can anyone help us out with an approximate timeline?

Well that is alot, and some of those things would be a pain to put in later. I was under the impression that the convention center was under budget and there was extra money, hence the addition of the 4th Street experience.

Do you know the approximate date when the lower park was defunded? Do you know why it wasn't refunded with the extra Maps 4 money? Didn't the stadium at the fair grounds receive extra funding from the surplus? Can anyone help us out with an approximate timeline?
    When the 4 millions was removed from the budget wasn't mentioned in the presentation just that it was. The excess MAPS funds have been allocated to update Union Station and an extension of the promenade from where lower Scissortail Park ends to the river banks. Unless the bid for the lower Park comes back 4.5 million under there isn't revenue for the items.

Maybe our local elite will step up and cover the 5 million dollar shortfall. The Clay Bennett sports pavilion has a nice ring to it.

Blog Entries

Maybe our local elite will step up and cover the 5 million dollar shortfall. The Clay Bennett sports pavilion has a nice ring to it.
    Wait, I thought we don’t want our local “elite“ involved in improving our city. I read on other threads how nefarious their activity is.

Blog Entries

Pete, can you confirm that $4 million was removed from the budget and when it was? What development was actually removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Pete, can you confirm that $4 million was removed from the budget and when it was? What development was actually removed?
    You can watch the September council meeting on YouTube. The budget discussion is at the 1 hour 33 minute mark.

25. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Rover, our elite almost never get involved unless there's a public handout for them to chew on. That is what most on here complain about.

If Bennett or other billionaire want to donate to the cause (ala Kaiser in Tulsa) that is not only welcome but in all honesty expected at this point. Come OKC elite, step up!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information