Widgets Magazine
Page 110 of 147 FirstFirst ... 1060105106107108109110111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 3663

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    How does the 'shelter-in-place' declaration affect parks in OKC? I assume the playground equipment is probably closed and I saw where they closed the dog park. But I assume we can still walk about the park?
    Yes, playground equipment has been declared off-limits by the city and in the case of Scissortail, there is actually a lock on the fenced-in play areas.

But otherwise it is encouraged to get out to parks and get some fresh air as long as you keep your distance from others, which of course is normal anyway.

2. Default Re: Scissortail Park

The playgrounds I've seen have all been roped off in some way or another.

Blog Entries

Thanks Pete, for the updates and the information you supply to OKC on your site. Greatly, appreciated...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, playground equipment has been declared off-limits by the city and in the case of Scissortail, there is actually a lock on the fenced-in play areas.

But otherwise it is encouraged to get out to parks and get some fresh air as long as you keep your distance from others, which of course is normal anyway.
    I encourage anyone who has access to or who knows someone who can make you one to wear a mask when out of your home. There are patterns all over the internet. They don’t have to be N95 masks to give you some degree of protection and protect others if you happen to be an asymptomatic carrier. I’ve talked to several infectious disease doctors who recommend this. Only one family member should go to the grocery store and you should either bring your own reusable bags and fill them with your groceries or make sure your sterilize the handles of your cart. Exercise 6 feet social distancing even in line. Better yet, order your groceries and pick them up of have them delivered.Read about how to deal with your groceries when they arrive or you bring them home. The countries who have tested, quarantined, worn masks and stayed at home unless absolutely necessary have a lower rate of disease. This buys time for new information about treatments to come out, allows companies to manufacture the medical equipment that could save your life and gives companies time to work on vaccines.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I encourage anyone who has access to or who knows someone who can make you one to wear a mask when out of your home. There are patterns all over the internet. They don’t have to be N95 masks to give you some degree of protection and protect others if you happen to be an asymptomatic carrier. I’ve talked to several infectious disease doctors who recommend this. Only one family member should go to the grocery store and you should either bring your own reusable bags and fill them with your groceries or make sure your sterilize the handles of your cart. Exercise 6 feet social distancing even in line. Better yet, order your groceries and pick them up of have them delivered.Read about how to deal with your groceries when they arrive or you bring them home. The countries who have tested, quarantined, worn masks and stayed at home unless absolutely necessary have a lower rate of disease. This buys time for new information about treatments to come out, allows companies to manufacture the medical equipment that could save your life and gives companies time to work on vaccines.
    The CDC and WHO (they're finally starting to change their tune) have both totally failed in their you-don't-need-a-mask messaging. N-95 masks and the like need to go to healtchare workers first, but everyone should wear a mask outside and that needs to become the new norm for now and probably the next year. This article explains why everyone should wear masks: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/o...ace-masks.html

Blog Entries

Thanks, betts:

This information needs to be repeated and reinforced in our society. Wouldn't think you could be too overly cautious. We need to keep our guards up.

Not so fast on bring your own bags. There is a lot of talk out there that right now these are worse for spreading the disease than the single-one time use bags. I'd recommend opting to leave the reusable bags at home right now.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/0...fe-to-use-them

After using this park a lot now, I have decided the width of the sidewalks bordering the park on the West and East sides are a failure. Unless you are actually traveling THROUGH the park, the outside sidewalks are not even wide enough for two persons to pass by comfortably, add the aspect with the trees taking up half of the usable space makes it even more annoying. If you have been here, there is tons of people walking pets and riding bikes, this creates so many unnecessary collisions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    After using this park a lot now, I have decided the width of the sidewalks bordering the park on the West and East sides are a failure. Unless you are actually traveling THROUGH the park, the outside sidewalks are not even wide enough for two persons to pass by comfortably, add the aspect with the trees taking up half of the usable space makes it even more annoying. If you have been here, there is tons of people walking pets and riding bikes, this creates so many unnecessary collisions.
    I didn't think bikes are allowed on sidewalks.

I also think the designers want people to actually go into the park, not observe from the outside. Isn't that the idea of a park? It isn't just a lawn to look at. Exterior walks just get you to the next entrance path.

Spring has sprung, that is starting to look nice and green in certain spots.

I bet the owners of Socia Capital are just grinding their teeth.

Weather is near peak between cold and hot and they can't open their doors.

15. Default Re: Scissortail Park

I bet the owners of Socia Capital are just grinding their teeth.

Weather is near peak between cold and hot and they can't open their doors.
    IKR. This should be their breakout period. I know I would be a big customer.

Pete, that last photo really emphasizes something I've noted before, that the old barrier to development (elevated I-40) just moved 5 blocks south. With the Convention Center where it is, it looks to me like the next hot development areas would naturally be south and west.... oh wait, the sunken I-40 is now an even bigger barrier. So much for encouraging contiguous development south of that. Anything happening there will not be able to effectively draw from what's happening on the north side.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Pete, that last photo really emphasizes something I've noted before, that the old barrier to development (elevated I-40) just moved 5 blocks south. With the Convention Center where it is, it looks to me like the next hot development areas would naturally be south and west.... oh wait, the sunken I-40 is now an even bigger barrier. So much for encouraging contiguous development south of that. Anything happening there will not be able to effectively draw from what's happening on the north side.
    Shields to the east is a big barrier too, along with the RR tracks.

Blog Entries

I think the sunken is a lot less a barrier than an elevated highway. As soon as any buildings 2 or more stories start building close to both sides of the highway, all you will see are buildings, not a physically imposing barrier. And, if we really have that much demand, a sunken area like it is will be way easier to cover than moving an elevated highway.

I think it will be many many years until the high density growth of downtown starts to be confined by I-40. We have so much develop-able land around downtown, I hardly think barriers are our worst problem. We could grow to 2 million people and still have undeveloped patches in and around downtown.

If you have kids, or are a kid at heart, get to Scissortail Park today to get your Garden in Place kits!

https://scissortailpark.org/garden-in-place/

The southern part of sissortail park will not be a draw?

Quote Originally Posted by HHE View Post
    The southern part of sissortail park will not be a draw?
    No. The southern part is in a not so savory part if town, especially once the lower part gets finished.

22. Default Re: Scissortail Park

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
    No. The southern part is in a not so savory part if town, especially once the lower part gets finished.
    I believe the area between Robinson and Walker and l-40 and the river will be totally transformed because of the lower park.

Is the southern park still on track to start this summer? I personally think the southern part could be cooler than the main park. It’s more intimate and will be connected to the river with a future pier.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Is the southern park still on track to start this summer? I personally think the southern part could be cooler than the main park. It’s more intimate and will be connected to the river with a future pier.
    Yes, they will be bidding it out soon.

Yes, they will be bidding it out soon.
    Okay thank you for the information.

Thread Information