Widgets Magazine
Page 107 of 149 FirstFirst ... 757102103104105106107108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 3701

Thread: Scissortail Park

Blog Entries

Default Re: Scissortail Park

While OKC hasn't been able to revive the old Farmers' Public Market; it probably has more to do with access to the location. OSU-OKC has a Farmers Public Market, IIRC they have or tried one (which might be seasonal) on the N. E. 23rd Street corridor near Bobo's Chicken 1812 NE 23rd Street which has a weekend (Friday-Saturday lot service 6 p.m. - 3 a.m., from a portable food trailer.

The current Farmer Public Market needs to be restored; OKC should concentrate on a historic restoration project for this venue; make it more accessible from Exchange Avenue.

A farmers market at Scissortail Park will be a dagger in the heart to the Historic Farmers Market at Exchange & Western Avenues.

Took a walk around the park last night. Quite a few people considering it was in the high 30's.

Do we know the size of the pier associated with the lower park. I believe the pier goes out into the river.

See the link below for reference.

https://www.news9.com/story/41042223...er-park-in-okc

That pier and anything related to the river is conceptual and not funded.

5. Default Re: Scissortail Park

I spent a good amount of time walking round Scissortail Park before the snow came in last week. I think it really is a most incredible asset for Oklahoma City. I hope they do something with the surface parking between it and the Myriad before too long.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scissortail.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	258.4 KB 
ID:	15783

Pretty picture ^^^

It's going to be really great when the landscaping matures. I would think after this spring it will start looking much nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's going to be really great when the landscaping matures. I would think after this spring it will start looking much nicer.
    Yes, yes! I'm excited to see how the park responds to its first spring!! And even though I don't want to rush time - I am excited to see how the park looks 10 years from now.

Press release:

Oklahoma City’s Cinco de Mayo Festival to Be Held at Scissortail Park

OKLAHOMA CITY – As Oklahoma’s largest Cinco de Mayo Festival continues to grow in size, organizers have moved the celebration to Scissortail Park in downtown Oklahoma City, where it is expected to draw approximately 20,000 people celebrating Hispanic heritage and culture. The free, family-friendly event will take place on May 3 from 1 PM to 10:30 PM. Festivities will include live music from local and international touring artists, folkloric dancing, activities for children, a parade of horses, and the crowning of Miss Cinco de Mayo.

“Every year it seems interest in celebrating Cinco de Mayo and the rich cultural history of the Hispanic community in Oklahoma City grows and grows,” said Maureen Heffernan, CEO and president of Scissortail Park Foundation. “We welcome having this event at Scissortail Park as the perfect location for everyone to gather to celebrate and enjoy this event with music, food, dance and more. Please join us. Por favor, acompáñanos!"

The Oklahoma City Cinco de Mayo Festival, hosted by Scissortail Community Development Corporation and Academia OKC, began as a small event in 2014. It has grown each year and now attracts thousands of visitors and sponsors ranging from the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce to internationally known brands like Coca-Cola, McDonalds and the Oklahoma City Thunder.

"The OKC Cinco de Mayo Festival has really hit a critical mass of attendance,” said Scissortail CDC Executive Director Robert Ruiz. “We believe that moving to downtown OKC will open the celebration up to a much larger audience while still keeping the culture and flavor that makes it such a unique and authentic event."

Cinco de Mayo is a celebration of Mexico’s victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla in 1862. Oklahoma City and Puebla are united as “sister cities” through the Sister Cities International program, a non-profit that creates partnerships and fosters cultural exchange.

ChoiceMatters Executive Director Robert Ruiz said the partnership is just one of the reasons Oklahoma City’s celebration is one of the most authentic and exciting Cinco de Mayo events in the country.

“This is a coming out party each year for our Hispanic community and an opportunity to showcase just how large, significant and culturally vibrant we are,” said Ruiz. “It’s a great opportunity for all people to connect with that culture and to celebrate its contributions to life in Oklahoma.”

More information is available at academia.org/festivals. Inquiries regarding sponsorship opportunities can be sent to Luis Hidalgo at l.hidalgo@scissortailcdc.org or at 405-360-1200.

The new Scissortail Park is in the heart of a revitalized downtown Oklahoma City. This public space is part of the MAPS 3 program that envisions a healthy and vibrant quality of life for our city while serving as an investment in the future. Every detail is designed for connection – with nature, neighbors and ourselves. It is a place for play, culture, celebration and inspiration.

Scissortail Park features a variety of engaging experiences within 70 urban acres ranging from ornamental gardens and woodlands, to a lake and boathouse, children’s playground, grand promenade, water features, outdoor roller rink, an enclosed dog park, interactive fountain and much more.

Designed by one of the foremost landscape architecture planning firms in the world, Hargreaves Associates, the Park is also a horticultural tapestry of native prairie grasses, lush flower gardens and tree-lined walkways. Together we have created something spectacular. For everyone.

This is park is so awesome if you have crazy little kiddos.

11. Default Re: Scissortail Park

I've heard that they are going to continue what they started with KOL and the Mayor's Concert Series by holding an annual Mayor Concert Series around the same time with headlining acts of KOL caliber. Really exciting that they're going to keep that focus.

https://twitter.com/ScissortailPark/...98562746191877

Today, we officially opened the #ReadOKC Little Library at Scissortail Park! 📚

Special thanks to @okcchamber , @okcthunder and @OKCPS for establishing this library at the Park! Take a book/leave a book near the Children’s Playground Pavilion - the Little Library is open now!

Pete, any idea what Steve is intimating with this article (which really doesn't say anything)?

https://oklahoman.com/article/565543...l-park-team-up

^

I had already posted several months ago that the Strawberry Fields group had paired up with Mazaheri.

Through a lawsuit Mazaheri had with the city over land they took for the park, the two parties received the former Goodwill property and have obtained approval from design review to tear it down -- which has not happened yet.

They are required to develop it relatively quickly. My understanding is they are planning mid-rise residential.

I cannot wait for things to turn green here! Though my yard can wait as long as it wants to! HAha

Blog Entries

^

They are required to develop it relatively quickly. My understanding is they are planning mid-rise residential.
    By midrise, are you implying 8-10 or a traditional definition of 4-5?

I went by the park on Saturday and it was swarming with people and all the parking spaces along the perimeter were taken.

People were circling trying to find a spot.

The park seems to fill a need for people who just want to get out and walk in a nice, safe setting.

I went by the park on Saturday and it was swarming with people and all the parking spaces along the perimeter were taken.

The park seems to fill a need for people who just want to get out and walk in a nice, safe setting.
    And it is only going to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by HHE View Post
    And it is only going to get better.
    Right, all the landscaping is immature and mostly brown this time of year.

Really looking forward to seeing it in the spring.

And when the lower park is complete, I think you'll see tons of people walk/riding across Skydance Bridge and to the river.

This. I honestly see ourselves going downtown more to go to this park. Which I imagine means we end up using the streetcar and other things.

Just my opinion, but this park is the best thing OKC has done downtown since the canal and arena. After going once this is my new favorite park, just from an amenities standpoint. It's going to be absolutely beautiful once the landscape matures.

Huge win IMO.

And where Myriad Gardens is great as an urban, heavily-programmed park, Scissortail generally provides a place just to go walk your dog or let your kids play on playground equipment. And once the lower park opens and you can easily get all the way to the river, it will be even busier.

The number of people that have been patronizing it demonstrates how OKC needed something like this; something more geared to walking and recreation.

The park is great! And may not be the Gathering Place, but it doesn't need to be.

However, it makes the land around there so much more important, in terms of it being developed appropriately. Hopefully the city realizes that.

Construction workers for the Omni and convention center have been taking all the spaces along Robinson and the boulevard. They are there every day, including weekends.

When the parking garage is finished those projects wrap up, there will be tons of on-street parking which will provide even more access to the park. And of course, there will also be a huge surface lot just south of the convention center.

I was there Saturday and stopped by Social Capital while it was still warm and sunny. Whole area was packed, and Social had huge lines at the bars.

The only thing I don't understand about this area is the intersection of SW 4th and Hudson. Why are the sidewalks not connected and why is there a complete lack of sidewalk between that intersection and the sidewalk in front of Social Capital? There was a lot of people just walking in the street next to the cars that were parked in those couple spots.

https://goo.gl/maps/deiXpiKC81oENuMe7

Thread Information