Widgets Magazine
Page 101 of 149 FirstFirst ... 5196979899100101102103104105106 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 3701

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Scissortail Park

It may not have been intentional, but the CC being lit up helped a lot, as well, and made the views seem much cooler (from pics, since I unfortunately could not make the show).

Beer sales this weekend?

You couldn’t pay me $1MM to be down there this wknd

Blog Entries

Don’t know why anyone would hate to go there. Looks great and good entertainment. Good to see lots of life there.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    You couldn’t pay me $1MM to be down there this wknd
    It really wasn't bad. While 28,000 people in the park seems like a massive number, there was plenty of space to roam around. The park feels so much bigger than it looks.

Blog Entries

Yeah, the east side was pretty swamped where the food was and of course the lawn, but all the other parts were surprisingly sparse. I did not intend to go in, but after cruising around the site on my bike and seeing it wasn't too bad, decided to risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by midtownokcer View Post
    It really wasn't bad. While 28,000 people in the park seems like a massive number, there was plenty of space to roam around. The park feels so much bigger than it looks.
    yeah, my primary concern is safety, especially with the gun laws in this State. It only takes one idiot, and I’m generally risk adverse when it comes to events where I might be particularly exposed to said idiots.

yeah, my primary concern is safety, especially with the gun laws in this State. It only takes one idiot, and I’m generally risk adverse when it comes to events where I might be particularly exposed to said idiots.
    What a piss poor view you have of Oklahomans.

I would be more worried about large crowds attracting idiots with bombs. I suspect one idiot with a gun wouldn't last long in a large crowd in Oklahoma. Odds are someone is going to shoot the man/woman relatively quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    What a piss poor view you have of Oklahomans.
    Whatever you say, Coach.

One thing I will say about Oklahoma’s is they usually are a very engaged/loud concert crowd and that was not the case last night. KOL put on a decent show but it seemed as if no one knew the songs which is understandable. Anyways the park looked great and certainly has a ton of potential. I look forward to visiting again soon when things settle down a bit.

Blog Entries

OK isn’t even in the top half of states regarding gun ownership. Guess you wouldn’t go out much in most of the US. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    OK isn’t even in the top half of states regarding gun ownership. Guess you wouldn’t go out much in most of the US. Lol
    mwahahaha lol

I am no fan of guns or the permissive laws we have here in Oklahoma, but there were metal detectors at every entrance to the park last night and they were searching each and every person. A lot was made about the fact guns could be brought it because it seems (and is) ridiculous compared to the list of things you couldn't. I wound up staying on the edges of the crowd because I also get a bit anxious in crowds and fear of being trampled, etc. But frankly, as far as guns or general potential for attack is concerned, you were probably safer inside the park last night than outside of it. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    I am no fan of guns or the permissive laws we have here in Oklahoma, but there were metal detectors at every entrance to the park last night and they were searching each and every person. A lot was made about the fact guns could be brought it because it seems (and is) ridiculous compared to the list of things you couldn't. I wound up staying on the edges of the crowd because I also get a bit anxious in crowds and fear of being trampled, etc. But frankly, as far as guns or general potential for attack is concerned, you were probably safer inside the park last night than outside of it. *shrug*
    Right, because outside the park there was a plethora of umbrellas, blankets, and wallets with chains.

Took a stroll through Saturday, park was very vibrant with many folks out and about. It can be hard to demonstrate scale with pictures, but it IS BIG!

From the top of the hill on the Grand Lawn:

The "sack" effect of the lake is certainly not noticeable at the park. In case anybody was still concerned about that.

From the bridge over the lake:

While I certainly enjoyed the visit, I Feel like I need to visit when it is NOT opening weekend to really form an accurate opinion.

In what felt like a "big city" random surprise, this street performer with an amazing mirrored suit was going around and interacting with everybody on the promenade. Dancing, giving high fives, taking pictures etc. I gotta get one of these suits!

^

Thanks for the shots!

As much as I had been down there and walked through the park many times, being there on Friday night with that crowd was one of those "this can't be OKC" moments.

The setting is much cooler and larger than it looks in photos or videos.

Blog Entries

And only half the park is done. It's pretty cool that we get to open another half in two years.

Looking forward to visiting the park when I am in OKC in November. Looks really nice from all the renderings and pictures!

Cool picture with the storm in the distance. Is it just paddle boats for rental or are there kayaks and stand up paddle boards as well?

inauguration was good, better than expected. it is too bad there were so many people smoking and vaping and sharing their second hand smoke with the rest of the people, especially the young children. but the park is awesome, it does feel better and bigger than it looks and has a cosmopolitan vibe to it. once the convention center, omni hotel, ocura parking garage and blvd place apartments are complete that area will definitely be a hub for large crowds gathering like for concerts, thunder games and conventions. i would definitely like to have another pro sports team opposite the convention center on the other side of the park like a soccer or football team.

Walked around the park yesterday and was very impressed, but the location really puts into perspective just how important it is to get the development right on the four blocks of parking to the west of the arena. So much of this city's progress or lack thereof over the next several decades will depend on getting the best use out of that space as well as the Cox Convention Center site.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Walked around the park yesterday and was very impressed, but the location really puts into perspective just how important it is to get the development right on the four blocks of parking to the west of the arena. So much of this city's progress or lack thereof over the next several decades will depend on getting the best use out of that space as well as the Cox Convention Center site.
    Agree. Those are the key development sites for creating a true 24/7 downtown OKC. These should be high density residential with a mix of retail/restaurants

Don't forget the REHCO site between MBG and Scissortail Park, and the site to the west of MBG!

If all of that is done, the basically, Walker to BNSF and SW 7th to NW 6th would constitute an Urban area that I would imagine competes easily with any Tier II city, and that area is already largely "haloed" by quality urban development all the way to Western, up to 13th and over to I-235. Still plenty of infill left to do in the "halo" area, but half a square mile of high quality urban development both old and new is an incredible foundation that will make OKC a place people remember and want to come back to and come live in.

It is kinda sad that there may not be any development there for years, given how much money the owners make on parking. Oh well...

Thread Information