Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

South OKC Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

Thanks to SkyWestOkc for bringing this to our attention; I thought this deserves it's own thread topic.

http://okc.gov/AgendaPub/cache/2/1yj...1104545345.PDF

Looks like a major retail / commercial development is being proposed for this area. This could be very good for South Okc and the entire metro core. Plans for 4 hotels, a town center, and office space. Definitely a good idea especially since the land is already owned by the city and could easily be developed for a large project Something like the Midwest City Town Center redevelopment would look very good here.

Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

Hi, okclee,

Can you please repost that link? It doesn't seem to be working.

Thx!

Repost the link I posted, since the link changes depending on the user -- uses cookies. Post the same one I did to get around that. I would but I'm on my phone.

6. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

My neck hurts.

Can retail actually go that close to a runway?

Yes. The runway building limit doesn't go more than about 1000 feet from the runway centerline on each side.

It just seems that a lot of large airports are out in the middle of nowhere unless they're airports like Midway in Chicago or LaGuardia in NYC. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see that area across from OKTripC fill in!

10. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    Yes. The runway building limit doesn't go more than about 1000 feet from the runway centerline on each side.
    True regarding clear zone. From there, building height allowances are based on a slope away from the edge of the clear zone...I think it's 7:1.

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    My neck hurts.
    ^^Ha,I didnt understand what you meant until I read that report!lol

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    It just seems that a lot of large airports are out in the middle of nowhere unless they're airports like Midway in Chicago or LaGuardia in NYC. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see that area across from OKTripC fill in!
    Ever been to Miami, San Diego, Atlanta, NYC, Vegas, etc.?

This certainly is a strange project. I am puzzled by the emphasis on the stated need for home improvement stores in South OKC. This will be effectively parallel with a freeway (240) that has both a Lowe's and a Home Depot located just 4 miles (and probably less than 4 minutes) to the east of this project.

I wonder what kind of public funding this is looking at, being that the airport is the developer it appears. They do seem to be thinking about the right kind of development to make a visual impact on people coming through OKC, with zero setback and parking in the rear stated explicitly.

14. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

It's a very interesting plan...and very large scale. I wonder what makes them think they can develop that much land when there are other plots in the area set up for sale as office space that continue to be for sale 10 years later. Look at 54th and Meridian, that sucker's been for sale for EVER, and it's much smaller.

Personally, i would not approve of any public funding for it though. If someone wants to develop that land, then they need to reach into their pocket. 240 isn't hurting for retail or anything, and they apparently didn't do a very good demographic analysis. It's one thing to say, hey since it's next to an airport, surely we can put 4 hotels in. Except, did you look at how many hotels are on Meridian and the city is focussing on any more in the area being built on the river.

One thing that's interesting is, we had a representative from Dell in our office last week. When he was looking for a hotel for 1 night (he flew from Austin and had no idea where in the state OKC was....yeah), he said the closest room he could get was on NW Exway. So either he was a moron, or all of the hotel rooms were sold out that one night...i'm thinking moron.

hink the S.W area is going to expode in population soon, drive down S.W 134th street and they are tearing up land left and right for new housing and thre is also a new integris medical place going in off I-44, plus I think they will attract some people from the newcastle area.. Its a good idea, if it is planned right, I hope it doesnt turn out to be like the UNP in norman

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    hink the S.W area is going to expode in population soon, drive down S.W 134th street and they are tearing up land left and right for new housing and thre is also a new integris medical place going in off I-44, plus I think they will attract some people from the newcastle area.. Its a good idea, if it is planned right, I hope it doesnt turn out to be like the UNP in norman
    Well, the area I think has huge potential is south of the airport and west of I-44... there are already a few new neighborhoods going in, mostly upscale, but it's a huge, mostly pristine area. I wish it could stay the way it is, but it will probably get gobbled up by sprawl soon. I'd be in favor of keeping the growth on the east side of I-44.

It is a weird site though because the other side of I-44 just feels very detached from the Westmoore area.

I think retail would do very well there....you have the college across the street, the airport (very large employment center plus an activity hub), people coming back to the suburbs southbound in the evening after work, plus all of the development southwest of OKC. Plus, I would love some restaurants that I can get something to eat during lunch or in the morning on the way to work without having to go out of my way to get it. This has potential -- calling it a strange project, I'm not sure I'd label it that. It's a very ambitious project, though.

Those worried about it being public funded...it's not. Except for basic infrastructure costs (I.E. roads and utilities). My understanding is tenants will be building their own buildings and must have them approved by the airport to the standards that were set for this development. Not much dissimilar from other airport projects. The airport leases the land to the tenant, for example to build a hangar, the business pays the costs to build according to FAA and airport standards, and then it is done. The airport might help pay for infrastructure to the property for the tenant, but isn't paying to build the facility. The only difference here will be: FAA approval for projects won't be needed.

This is a smart move by the airport -- all this land won't be developed for aviation use. We have more land than we will ever need at WRWA. Taking out this portion allocated for this, we still have a ton of land. This "investment" will pay off in the long run. The land in question, generates maybe $1,000 a year in leases to agriculture companies or farmers who use it to grow hay, or keep cows on. In turn, after it is developed, you will have a ton of yearly and monthly leases going into the airport fund. Which will help pay for the things the airport does and needs. The greater the budget, the more money can be spent on facility maintenance (among other things obviously) for example -- which is one thing that WRWA seems to always be criticized for. Basically turning land that makes nothing, into something that can make a lot more to help fund the airport.

18. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

Where can I find info on this? None of the links work for me and I am not finding anything except OKCTalk when I Google it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken In The Rough View Post
    Where can I find info on this? None of the links work for me and I am not finding anything except OKCTalk when I Google it.
    I think I found it by:
    1. Go to http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/meet.aspx
    2. Click on the view link at "Wednesday Jan 26, 2011 10:30 AM OKC Airport Trust"
    3. Click on the Pdf link at " Receive the Marketing Strategy Final Report for th - 11Jan26-LeighFisher-MktgStrategyRpt.pdf"

Some development surrounding the airport would be great so that visitors don't think they have just flown into the middle of nowhere.

Wish I had taken the time to take pics when the airport was under construction...the plywood lean-too type shelters at the entrance etc. Sure it made a huge impression on visitors and fed into a lot of stereotypes.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Wish I had taken the time to take pics when the airport was under construction...the plywood lean-too type shelters at the entrance etc. Sure it made a huge impression on visitors and fed into a lot of stereotypes.
    You must not travel much. I've been to several places where there's ongoing, major construction (Dallas, Denver, Seattle, Alanta) this type of temporary cover is nomal in the commercial construction industry. I do give you credit for trying to making an issue out of a non-issue.

23. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

well said RC
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun View Post
    Some development surrounding the airport would be great so that visitors don't think they have just flown into the middle of nowhere.
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun View Post
    Hahaha. Actually, my impression every time I fly into OKC during the winter is, "Wow, this place really does look like Mars."

Thread Information