Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Upscale Grocery Shopping in Edmond?

Default Re: Upscale Grocery Shopping in Edmond?

You may have seen in another thread that there is going to be a Resor's in the new Spring Creek center on 15th & Bryant.

Currently they are only in the Tulsa area and I don't think they qualify as upscale, but no doubt are nicer than most the markets around town.

I shopped in Uptown when I was there in June and didn't care for it.

The front of the store is nice with tons of prepared foods but the rest of the store didn't impress me in terms of decor or merchandise. Just sealed concrete floors and typical narrow aisles.

Here in California, there are several markets (Pavilions, Gelsons, etc.) that are just like regular supermarkets, just nicer inside with more upscale brands/options.

I personally LOVE Gelson's. It has everything I need, including staples, and while prices are slightly higher, sometimes it's well worth it just due to the experience. Like shopping at Nordstrom's rather than Macy's.

One near me has a Wolfgang Puck Pizza restaurant and you can order one when you walk in, and it's ready by the time you go through the checkout.

They also have some really expensive meats and other things that I just avoid. But I love that store and sometimes it's worth it to pay a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You may have seen in another thread that there is going to be a Resor's in the new Spring Creek center on 15th & Bryant.

Currently they are only in the Tulsa area and I don't think they qualify as upscale, but no doubt are nicer than most the markets around town.
    Reasor's stores can vary a lot, older stores in poorer areas are your basic but good grocery store chain. The new stores in nicer areas are very nice. While I would not call them fully "upscale" they are just a step down from Whole Foods or The Fresh Market. Reasor's carries about 50%-75% of the brands and items that those stores carry, but then also carry everything a normal grocery store would as well.

Reasor's isn't based in Tulsa, they are from Tahlequah, but most of the stores are in the Tulsa area.

I love Uptown's meat department, I sincerely hope that store isn't in trouble

I have gone to Uptown several times now, and it is usually pretty empty. I usually only go there, if I'm going that direction for some other reason anyway. I just can't justify their prices on some stuff.

I love this store and shop there often. It's always busy. The prices are good. Maybe a little higher on meat.....because it's better meat. I don't know what store some others are visiting but I live less than a mile away and the parking lot is always full and the store is always lively with good music and plenty of folks shopping and eating. The workers are friendlier and more helpful than at any grocery I've been to and I don't have to check myself out or wait in line for 10 minutes like at walmart since they always have all the lanes manned. I can't wait to see who moves into the shops on either side...right now only a coming soon sign for some kind of jamba juice type place. My retired parents love it as they can sit and have some lunch before doing their shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by jilpil View Post
    Ghost Town would be a better name for Uptown nowadays. Doesn't seem like they are doing a very good business lately. I just saw that they are reducing their store hours- opening later and closing earlier. Death knell? I have also noticed some food quality issues, probably due to high overhead and lack of turnover. Like some others have previously mentioned, it seems like the big old Buy For Le$$ image lurking underneath that beautiful facade may be coming back to haunt them. Sad.
    Like I said, shop there all the time. I don't believe anything about this post. It appears someone joined the forum just to make this one post on the same day. Axe to grind?

I shop at Uptown frequently (I live alot more than a mile away) and it seems busy all of the time.

No axes to grind here. I am a longtime OKCTalk community member, but I had to create a new account because my old email was defunct and my info couldn't be retrieved. I was just making an observation. I actually like the store, and wish for it to succeed. Again, this is just my observation as a person who frequents the place.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmondBrad View Post
    Like I said, shop there all the time. I don't believe anything about this post. It appears someone joined the forum just to make this one post on the same day. Axe to grind?
    Would make more sense if she wasn't the only one posting that the store is not very busy

We visit or driveby Uptown frequently. They are doing fine. When they opened, they were the newest, coolest store. Now that Sunflower/Sprouts is open, they are sharing the fresh food, modern market experience. There are slow-times at any business. If anything, I would expect to see Walmart and more Homelands closing in that area of Edmond. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    I have gone to Uptown several times now, and it is usually pretty empty. I usually only go there, if I'm going that direction for some other reason anyway. I just can't justify their prices on some stuff.
    Well it's built on the edge of nowhere anyway. i went once and will never return. Not impressed with their meat market and the rest of the store was meh (outside of the prepared foods area).

Soonerguru: "Built on the edge of nowhere"??? That area has blown up in population over the last few years with hundreds of rooftops and apartments. Not saying I like it, I truly HATE sprawl and I hate that the city is widening Covell and Kelly to accomodate/encourage the sprawl. But I don't agree with the insinuation that there isn't enough people. I do agree, however, that aside from the meat, fruit and prepared foods, the rest of the store is meh, and pricey too.

I am retired and never go shopping late or on weekends. I have been to Upscale about ten to fifteen times and it's always fairly busy, considering the sparsely populated area. And yes, most grocery stores in Edmond are surrounded by houses with very little undeveloped land. One exception would be Homeland across from Kickingbird golf course. And I'm sure there are others. The main thing, use google maps with the earth option and zero in on every grocery store in Edmond and you see that Upscale has a lot of empty space around it. It's growing fast though. One other point, the least busy Walmart SuperCenter in the OKC metro area is at East 15th and I-35 service road (there might be one that I have missed) and with google maps look at the area surrounding area. Same situation as Upscale. I think stores build on the edge of developing areas knowing it will be a little tough, but knowing what the future growth will bring to them. How many of you remember how many owners owned the store at Memorial and Bryant? Scrivner built it as a Food World and operated it the longest. And it's been sitting empty for several years now because with places like Oakdale Farms and the limited available land (most homes are on large acreages), growth potential is limited. Just my (lengthy) opinion.
    C. T.

Just have to say that I went there yesterday to get for for Memorial Day. They were having a sale on country-style ribs for a $1 a pound. If they do things like that often, I don't care about the variety on the rest of the products, it's worth it for me.

Assuming you're talking about Uptown Grocery. Yes, they have some great deals. I go once a week so to not miss out.

Thread Information