Widgets Magazine

Thread: Best Chilli in OKC

1. Default Best Chilli in OKC

A few years back you folks led me to the best place for getting soup - ND Foods. So, one more time.... where can I find the best chili?

Default Re: Best Chilli in OKC

Tims frito chili pie

I like Tim's frito chili pie but only when they're having a good day...some days it tastes like microwaved Wolf brand. Chili's has pretty decent chili too but again, only if they're having a good day otherwise it can be very hit or miss. Other than that, I can't think of anywhere else I've been brave enough to try chili. Usually I just make my own & freeze it in single servings so I can thaw it easily when the mood strikes me.

Steve, not being glib, but the best answer I can offer is ... your own kitchen, perhaps after a bit of trial and error. I simply can not think of any commercial food haus in the greater metro that causes my brain to go mmmmm, chili when I consider eating there. It's not that everyone's chili sucks, only that there's no place where chili really stands out.

Well, there was one. Mark Amspacher, (The Diner in Norman before his demise), made very good chili. However, i don't know if his daughter is doing so. For me, the excellent standard type breakfast fare has always been why I hit The Diner.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    your own kitchen, perhaps after a bit of trial and error. I simply can not think of any commercial food haus in the greater metro that causes my brain to go mmmmm, chili when I consider eating there.
    Thumbs up.

Its great to eat out from time to time, but i've always thought that people often discount their own cooking abilities and the thousands of recipes you can find on the internet. There are a couple of things i prefer to make for myself - chili, bbq, chicken tortilla soup and a few other things because i was consistency disappointed when i purchased them from someone else.

just a simple bbq or chili message board search will lead you to thousands of ideas that have pictures, reviews, and trial and error recipes.

Thats a long way of saying i havent found any great chili in the okc area, but if i had to chose then Ron's Hamburgers makes a decent Chili topping that they use on burgers and fries; but its not really the type of chili that you would sit down and eat a bowl of on a cold day.

We need a Gold Star Chilli in OKC!

I recently killed off a recording of a Giada episode from 2009 (drats!) The show was focused around a white bean and chicken chili. I meant to get that one written down as I've never done a chicken chili before. It sounded tasty.

On edit: I love google and the Food network too:

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 1 large onion, chopped
    • 4 garlic cloves, minced
    • 2 pounds ground chicken
    • 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
    • 2 tablespoons ground cumin
    • 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
    • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
    • 2 teaspoons chili powder
    • 3 tablespoons flour
    • 2 (15-ounce cans) cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
    • 1 bunch (about 1 pound) Swiss chard, stems removed, leaves chopped into 1-inch pieces
    • 11/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
    • 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
    • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    • Freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
    • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    • 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Cooking instructions are at:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html
    Last edited by kevinpate; 01-23-2011 at 07:37 AM. Reason: add yummy info

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I recently killed off a recording of a Giada episode from 2009 (drats!) The show was focused around a white bean and chicken chili. I meant to get that one written down as I've never done a chicken chili before. It sounded tasty.
    Wife tried one a couple weeks ago but it wasn't as good as her regular chili

Since I prefer hers I don't normally get chili out but will go with Rons as well for the heart healthy chili cheeseburger

I also like the chili spaghetti at Steak n Shake...My late night staple after a night of drinking

Quote Originally Posted by bradzilla View Post
    Thumbs up.

Its great to eat out from time to time, but i've always thought that people often discount their own cooking abilities and the thousands of recipes you can find on the internet. There are a couple of things i prefer to make for myself - chili, bbq, chicken tortilla soup and a few other things because i was consistency disappointed when i purchased them from someone else.

just a simple bbq or chili message board search will lead you to thousands of ideas that have pictures, reviews, and trial and error recipes.

Thats a long way of saying i havent found any great chili in the okc area, but if i had to chose then Ron's Hamburgers makes a decent Chili topping that they use on burgers and fries; but its not really the type of chili that you would sit down and eat a bowl of on a cold day.
    'Zilla, we will have to disagree on Ron's Chili. To me, nothing is better than a big bowl of Ron's Chili with a dash of Melinda's XXXX Habanero sauce and some crackers. Ron's has been serving awesome chili for a long time in Tulsa and thankfully for quite a while now in the OKC metro. I do love me some Ron's. My fave from the menu is a Ron's Chili Sausage Cheeseburger with Spanish Fries.

For outside my house, I have always thought Wendy's is pretty good

I've found the "steak chili" at Panera Bread to be very good. Comes with cornbread crumbled into it, which sounds crazy but is actually very good. It's "yankee cornbread" (that is, made with sugar in it) but blends very well with the chili flavor...

For that matter, Braum's isn't too bad either.

Neither can compare to what Louis Priddy used to make at "Priddy's World's Best Hamburgers" on N. Hudson, but that's long gone...

Steve, I have to go with Ron's Hamburger and Chili. Consistently very good and whether you get it on on a chili-cheeseburger or on chili-cheese fries or just in a bowl it is great. Man, I'm in the middle of a diet, probably should avoid this thread.

the best chili around was at the bistro restaurant on the club level at the Ford Center. not sure if it made it through the renovations, but used to be a staple during blazers games....

If we are counting chain locations, I find the chili at Jason's Deli to be excellent.

15. Default Re: Best Chilli in OKC

Ron's. Get you some chili cheese fries.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Wife tried one a couple weeks ago but it wasn't as good as her regular chili

Since I prefer hers I don't normally get chili out but will go with Rons as well for the heart healthy chili cheeseburger

I also like the chili spaghetti at Steak n Shake...My late night staple after a night of drinking

heart healthy chili cheeseburger. I would never have thought those words would ever be grouped together.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    If we are counting chain locations, I find the chili at Jason's Deli to be excellent.
    Oh man you just made me salivate. The Southwestern Chicken Chili there is outtthisworld.

White chicken chili from coolgreens.

for a bowl, VZDs has awesome Chili.
    for a burger or fries, S&B's Burger Joint has the most amazing "LAVA"
    MMMM

My wife and I love Iron Starr's chili, it's made with brisket in it and has a fantastic taste.

Thread Information