Information & Latest News

1/16/14: Frequently Asked Questions
    1/23/13: $14.2 million building permit application
    11/14/12: Application for construction fence
    10/17/12: TAP Architecture designs approved by design review board
    8/3/10: Former OKC Mayor Presents Plans for Downtown Elementary School
    Links

Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dtelem1.jpg 
Views:	3219 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	2975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dtelem2.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	2976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dtelem3.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	2977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dtschool1.jpg 
Views:	952 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	2978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dtschool2.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	2979   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dtschool3.jpg 
Views:	883 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	2980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dtschool4.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	2981   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dtschool5.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	177.1 KB 
ID:	2982  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dtschool6.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	2983   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dtschool7.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	2984   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dtschool8.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	2985   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dtschool9.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	2986   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dtschool10.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	2987   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elementary1.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	3072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elementary1214b.jpg 
Views:	510 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	5768   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elementary1214a.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	5767  

Name:	school11314a.jpg 
Views:	783 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	6108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	school11314b.jpg 
Views:	799 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	6109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	school11314c.jpg 
Views:	798 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	6110   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	school11314d.jpg 
Views:	787 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	6111   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	school021514a.jpg 
Views:	2050 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	6766   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	school021514b.jpg 
Views:	2050 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	6767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	school021514c.jpg 
Views:	2021 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	6768   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	school021514d.jpg 
Views:	2028 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	6769  

Name:	school021514e.jpg 
Views:	2030 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	6770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	school021514f.jpg 
Views:	2020 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	6771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rex051514.jpg 
Views:	1000 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	7868  

Default Re: Kirk Humphreys proposing downtown elementary school

I think it's great and long overdue. This will help us develop a stronger, more sustainable downtown and inner core. Did you read the ignorant comments on NewsOK? Half those people live in the suburbs or outside of OKC City limits. I'm sure they'd get vocal if we criticized their hood or rural town and told them how to develop their neck of the woods.

People who complain are fine with brand new schools being built or old ones being improved in other neighborhoods, especially theirs. But, if it's downtown and a Humphreys proposed it, there's a certain group of people who automatically assume he's the only one who will benefit. Larry Nichols wanted a new school built downtown too, IIRC. I'm trying to remember if some of the Project 180 funds were supposed to be involved.

Humphreys said he expected the charter school to eventually move into facilities to be constructed by the district with money from MAPS for Kids, through which voters approved an $8.8 million elementary school to be built downtown.
    Man, I wish there were some old buildings downtown we could just renovate for about $9 million for them.

; )

I think it's a great idea. If the plan is to get young professionals to move downtown, a charter elementary school will definitely help get them and keep them there. That Bill guy posting on NewsOK is a huge dick, too.
    Last edited by BDK; 08-03-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Sloppy grammar

6. Default Re: Kirk Humphreys proposing downtown elementary school

Quote Originally Posted by BDK View Post
    I think it's a great idea. If the plan is to get young professionals to move downtown, a charter elementary school will definitely help get them and keep them there. That Bill guy posting on NewsOK is a huge dick, too.
    ???

If most "young professionals" are childless singles or couples, how is an elementary school going to entice them?

If they do plan on having children, wouldn't they move to an area that offers choices in large number of bedrooms and large yards so they can raise a family? Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no housing like that anywhere downtown.

If they do plan on having children, wouldn't they move to an area that offers choices in large number of bedrooms and large yards so they can raise a family?
    No doubt. Children these days need at least one large bedroom to themselves and plenty of room to graze.

8. Default Re: Kirk Humphreys proposing downtown elementary school

There's a certain demographic that doesn't care about suburban living.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

These comments are awesomely bad, as always... a few favorites..

Kevin, OKC
    "Maybe MAPS for Kids DID intend to build a school downtown," (no I'm pretty sure the ballot was not worded "Maybe" lol) but I doubt there was a clause that said it would be a freebie for he and his group. (Then what would it be? They're paying for it in taxes just like you, so..ugh nevermind.) ALSO, MAPS for Kids was passed BEFORE the downturn in the economy. (So you're advocating that we stray from the ballot after the voters approved it..good idea, who needs stinkin transparency anyway) If the catchment area were predominantly for poor and middle class kids, the plan would be scrapped in favor of more economical busing. I can think of at least 4 charter schools within five miles of downtown. (Wow, the whole inner city has how many? Sheesh..) How many more do we really need? Maybe this is in truth just a Freudian thing where Humphreys feels 'inferior' to Boren at OU or Humphreys' buddy Hargis at OSU... (yeah, because charter schools and major research universities have so much in common)

Bill, Nowhere
    "The parents of those 15 children knew or should have known the location of schools in relation to the 4 blocks of your neighborhood BEFORE they moved to you area. So don't go crying foul just yet."

Which he said after saying: "Building the school before the housing developments ,is putting the cart before the horse. Bad idea,as funding for developments is not a sure thing in todays economy. If the economic indicators were more positive, it would still be a risky venture. Schools should be built to satisfy a real need, not feed the egos of a few investors. If housing downtown becomes a reality, the need for a few schools would be an eventuality that would need to be addressed...IMHO"

I love how scary clueless people in Oklahoma are.

There's a certain demographic that doesn't care about suburban living.
    And apparently they're all elitist commie terrorists who don't know how to raise children that we're better off without.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    And apparently they're all elitist commie terrorists who don't know how to raise children that we're better off without.
    Let me guess, this downtown elementary school that we are so desperately in need of will be built somewhere on or near the downtown airpark. Anyone else smell a rat here.
    Kinda like the ole Putnam City days, we need more schools in the Putnam City area and I (Kirk H.) have the land we can build them on. lol. Come on Kirk, you can do better than that, not every citizen in OKC is as totally stupid as you might think. lol

Bob... (sigh) the downtown airpark is not even one of the 4 or 5 sites being looked at for the new school. And the downtown airpark land is not even owned by Kirk specifically...

So, in your book, does our esteemed former mayor even get to breath in air without you people "smelling a rat"?

Shall we wait and see where the proposed site is before doing any sniffing? The airpark is across the river from downtown, remember. I seem to remember prior to the MAPS 3 vote people here stating that the Convention Center would be built at the airpark as well, which was obviously not true.

For those who actually want to see what will be built on that site, before formulating some cockomany conspiracy theories, here's a good place to start: http://www.humphreysco.com/#/projects/the-waterfront/

Who did Kirk Humphreys even piss off? Are people still upset that we had a mayor more than just ideologically committed to downtown rhetoric?

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Shall we wait and see where the proposed site is before doing any sniffing? The airpark is across the river from downtown, remember. I seem to remember prior to the MAPS 3 vote people here stating that the Convention Center would be built at the airpark as well, which was obviously not true.

I may be getting the cart ahead of the horse here. We will just have to wait and see.
    I can assure you that their are plans in place by these people do to do something with the downtown airpark, something so big it was smart to buy this land and sit on it. There is no problem with land speculation. The problem lies when you have insider information and influence to what that property is to become prior to purchasing it. But we will just have to wait and see.

I guess some of you were in diapers or in elementary school or wearing blinders when he used his influence on the PC school board to try to get schools built on land that he owned. HMM, thats the rat I am speaking of. Lets just see if history repeats itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    For those who actually want to see what will be built on that site, before formulating some cockomany conspiracy theories, here's a good place to start: http://www.humphreysco.com/#/projects/the-waterfront/

Who did Kirk Humphreys even piss off? Are people still upset that we had a mayor more than just ideologically committed to downtown rhetoric?
    Here are the guys that held political office just to name a couple who are going to profit from this Riverfront project thats been in place for years, Ron Norick, ex mayor, Kirk Humphreys ex mayor, and that is just the tip of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by BOBTHEBUILDER View Post
    Here are the guys that held political office just to name a couple who are going to profit from this Riverfront project thats been in place for years, Ron Norick, ex mayor, Kirk Humphreys ex mayor, and that is just the tip of the list.
    Wow, I'm actually at a loss. I've said this before in another thread, but I'll say it again. There really is no point in arguing with you..your views are so off base, so ludicrous, and so firmly held that there is no point in even telling you why you're wrong.

Wow, I'm actually at a loss. I've said this before in another thread, but I'll say it again. There really is no point in arguing with you..your views are so off base, so ludicrous, and so firmly held that there is no point in even telling you why you're wrong.
    Time will tell.....
    Lets just say, its years and years of observing the same behavior with different players.
    And yes the views I have are firmly held, so dont waste your time, I know better, I have seen it first hand.

Well, you may actually be right, on second thought. After I clicked "post quick reply" I instantly regretted coming down on you for being skeptical. It is good that people be skeptical and I'm not going to defend Kirk on the specific allegations from the past that you mention, although I would almost always otherwise normally defend him, because he's a good guy. He's not nearly as influential or as rich as people like to accuse him of being, either...to be honest. Compared to everyone else on the Chamber Board he's one of the most regular joes you'll find.

I guess I'm full of contradictions these days, out one side of my mouth defending the movers and shakers downtown, and out the other side of my mouth lambasting them and accusing them of corruption when it comes to urban development and handling of MAPS 3 which has been bad so far. And I was one of MAPS 3's staunchest supporters, too.

I guess if I need to unload on the powers that be, why not everyone. I still don't sense anything wrong with the urban school, and I honestly don't see the importance of Kirk in this at all besides the fact that he has always been a big believer in downtown, someone who truly understands urbanism I think, someone who has riled up the anti-downtown people, someone who has pissed off the people who need OKC to keep sprawling for their bottom line, and he's also always been a huge proponent of the inner city schools. This is not Kirk Humphreys Elementary. The esteemed former mayor is just someone who is familiar with the power structure, MAPS for Kids (it was his initiative), and OCPS..now he's volunteering to help downtowners get the ball rolling on what will be a huge boost for the downtown community.

This is all about creating a real community downtown, and why deny that? Why deny downtowners the ability to have a real community that is meaningful and family-friendly when it exists everywhere else in OKC. Is it because people are worried about competition now? I don't get it, why be so anti-downtown? Why be against anywhere that is trying to develop into a real community?

Well, you may actually be right, on second thought. After I clicked "post quick reply" I instantly regretted coming down on you for being skeptical. It is good that people be skeptical and I'm not going to defend Kirk on the specific allegations from the past that you mention, although I would almost always otherwise normally defend him, because he's a good guy. He's not nearly as influential or as rich as people like to accuse him of being, either...to be honest. Compared to everyone else on the Chamber Board he's one of the most regular joes you'll find.

I guess I'm full of contradictions these days, out one side of my mouth defending the movers and shakers downtown, and out the other side of my mouth lambasting them and accusing them of corruption when it comes to urban development and handling of MAPS 3 which has been bad so far. And I was one of MAPS 3's staunchest supporters, too.

I guess if I need to unload on the powers that be, why not everyone. I still don't sense anything wrong with the urban school, and I honestly don't see the importance of Kirk in this at all besides the fact that he has always been a big believer in downtown, someone who truly understands urbanism I think, someone who has riled up the anti-downtown people, someone who has pissed off the people who need OKC to keep sprawling for their bottom line, and he's also always been a huge proponent of the inner city schools. This is not Kirk Humphreys Elementary. The esteemed former mayor is just someone who is familiar with the power structure, MAPS for Kids (it was his initiative), and OCPS..now he's volunteering to help downtowners get the ball rolling on what will be a huge boost for the downtown community.

This is all about creating a real community downtown, and why deny that? Why deny downtowners the ability to have a real community that is meaningful and family-friendly when it exists everywhere else in OKC. Is it because people are worried about competition now? I don't get it, why be so anti-downtown? Why be against anywhere that is trying to develop into a real community?
    Im not trying to be negative and apologize if my comments came across that way. Mr. Humphreys may have all of the best intentions in the world with this school. I hope that he does and this is not a get rich scheme at tax payer expense.

You are obviously passionate about yours beliefs in the downtown area, so who am I too question those beliefs. I will give you the respect that you deserve for standing up for your position, we can agree to disagree and move on.

There is something to what Bob the Builder said about Humphreys when he was in charge with the Putnam City School Board. Don't recall the details and couldn't find much online. That said, that was eons ago (before he became Mayor). As far as I know he hasn't had any "problems" since then. I voted for him as mayor based on his campaign that he could finish MAPS on time and on budget (neither turned out to be true). I lost a lot of respect for him when he pushed the 6 month extension of the tax.

Then there was the whole MAPS for Kids. Not against MAPS for Kids, but the City and the school district are separate and distinct entities and he was pushing the school district agenda as Mayor. Much like the City is not supposed to campaign for the elections they call, yet Cornett did exactly that with MAPS 3. There are things that are getting intertwined and supposedly against the law, yet we keep seeing it happen again and again.

He made some questionable decisions as Mayor. He thought we didn't need 2 arenas sitting side-by-side and advocated replacing the arena with convention space. But having those arenas was a big selling point in landing the Big 12 and other events.

After insisting that we couldn't keep maintaining the Crosstown, when the relocation route was picked he wanted to keep the Crosstown as a business route. Ummm, if we couldn't afford the maintenance before, how could we afford the maintenance as a business route? Especially when the same trucks that cause the majority of the damage (something like a 65 to 1 ratio to a passenger car) would still be the primary users of that route?

All that said, there were a couple of things Humphreys did right. It was under his leadership that the City stepped in and helped save the Skirvin (if only Cornett would do the same for the India Temple)! And when he decided to run for higher office, he resigned as Mayor. I would have taken it a step farther and had him pay for the special election to replace him, but it was a great first step and I think ALL elected officials that make that choice to seek a higher office should do the same (if it means they aren't going to be able to complete their elected term). Serving the term for which you are elected is one of the most fundamental promises a candidate makes. When that promise is broken....

Bob... (sigh) the downtown airpark is not even one of the 4 or 5 sites being looked at for the new school. And the downtown airpark land is not even owned by Kirk specifically...

So, in your book, does our esteemed former mayor even get to breath in air without you people "smelling a rat"?
    He's bored and has no life, he's just trying to invent some type of conspiricy that's not there.

I may be getting the cart ahead of the horse here. We will just have to wait and see.
    I can assure you that their are plans in place by these people do to do something with the downtown airpark, something so big it was smart to buy this land and sit on it. There is no problem with land speculation. The problem lies when you have insider information and influence to what that property is to become prior to purchasing it. But we will just have to wait and see.

I guess some of you were in diapers or in elementary school or wearing blinders when he used his influence on the PC school board to try to get schools built on land that he owned. HMM, thats the rat I am speaking of. Lets just see if history repeats itself.
    Yes, there's plans for this property, was in the papers right after they closed on the property.
    FYI, that's why developers buy property.

How will Ron Norick profit from this ?

The downtown airpark was purchased in 2006, long after we all knew about Core to Shore, which makes it difficult to call the purchase secondary to insider information. I think it was probably a smart loooooong-term investment, but it's still risky, in that we have no idea when Core to Shore will reach the river. It may be 10 to 20 years before that area appeals to residents or businesses.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n16909401/

Thread Information