Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: John Rex Elementary

Default Re: Downtown Elementary School

This was an interesting quote from that Oklahoma article; at least the Sheraton retail space is being looked at for other uses:

The other two sites were the Century Center Plaza retail space and the historic Central High School building, which has been redeveloped into office space.

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-scho...#ixzz1OhGhO6dB

This site was the 3rd or 4th option. This will be a huge waste of a block. I think the selection committee was grasping at straws.. I wonder how the folks at City Arts are feeling.. What a huge disappointment, I know they were looking forward to moving away from the fairgrounds.. Hopefully it will be a shared space.

Far better choice than Century Center (what a sucko idea for a grade school location that would of made)

Why not build it in Core to Shore in space where the convention center was proposed? Afterall, aren't we wanting residential development in Core to Shore? A grade school would fit nicely in such a residential area.

I'm sure one of the big reasons this site was selected is that it's already owned by the city and ready to go. But in no way would an elementary school be the highest and best use for that property.

I agree with Patrick... If we are so committed to rejuvenating the Core to Shore area, why not place the school there to help jump-start that process?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Why not build it in Core to Shore in space where the convention center was proposed? Afterall, aren't we wanting residential development in Core to Shore? A grade school would fit nicely in such a residential area.
    Excellent idea! This makes perfect sense

The location of the school does not make sense as a neighborhood school. Schools are usually built in neighborhoods with people. Houses usually don't follow schools....schools follow houses. If this school was in Deep Deuce or just north of the downtown area it would make sense.

The only way it will work is as a charter school, where people that work downtown can drop off their kids before work.

And there will never be lots of housing in the immediate area of this site. Certainly nothing like what we are already seeing in Deep Deuce or what is possible in C2S.

So, it will be parents dropping off their kids and this would be at least as easy (and arguably easier) in the C2S area, since it is in the direct path of those that work downtown and use I-40.

I'm afraid this is another case of a group charged with a specific task (in this case, getting a new downtown school constructed) and merely taking the path of least resistance (the city-owned land) rather than anyone really stopping to think what is best for the entire community in the longer term. BTW, I think this is exactly what is happening with the convention center process.

It may be a touch cart before horse, but then, aren't they expecting the horses to eventually take over a lot of the land nearby.

Blog Entries

If the idea was for a downtown school, then it needs to be DOWNTOWN, doesn't it? And, if we waited for the people FIRST, then it might be awhile til it is built. It most likely will be a charter school, until at least the time when the downtown population is large enough to supply kids for a district.

Any location might be controversial. Putting it near Bricktown, an entertainment area with college kids, lots of bars, etc. wouldn't be a classic fit. Heritage hills is already covered. Face it, putting it downtown is controversial enough. At least putting it near or in the arts district makes a little sense. Putting near the Oklahoma City Boulevard feeding into downtown makes sense for those working downtown and dropping off/picking up their kids. It is easy to criticize this choice, but why don't we give it a fair chance and look at some of the positives?

And, why cant City Arts go in the Sheraton retail (or whatever it is) center?

I was in Hutchinson,Ks today and noticed that they had two middle schools that are Huge but only take up a small space and they are vertical and rise at least 3-4 stories tall,I wish we could see an Urban and more vertical downtown school that didnt take up lots of acres!

Vertical makes sense for a high school, perhaps even a middle school. But a K-5? Seems to be more trouble than practical. Wee ones need for move about space as well, indoors and out.

For a K-5, make it 6 stories, one for each grade level. Keep the Kindergartners on the ground floor and then add a flight of stairs as the advance from grade to grade. Might go towards lowering our childhood obesity stats? Or compromise and put 2 grades per level (3 story). Growing up, all of the schools I went to were multi-level.

14. Default Re: Downtown Elementary School

doesn't the city also own the core 2 shore land? seems to be a moot point in that regard, vs the sheridan/walker block.

im not sure where I stand on this. I almost agree that MAYBE we should sTART with a downtown elementary school in the Century Center, then when the population builds, we construct the school.

Just as long as the entire sheridan/walker block is not used for the school - Im ok with it there. I think it would be a tremendous waste to put ONLY the school there. I also think putting in Core 2 Shore is a good longer term idea, but NOT in the short term - hence the thinking of using Century Center until the school is built.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

15. Default Re: Downtown Elementary School

I wrote this as a bit of a rant, I just wanted to share it here:

So I have recently found out that some of the planners of our fair city would like to build an elementary school in downtown the arts district to be specific hoping to attract more families to the area. Their hope is that more families in downtown would mean more growth for the downtown area. This idea sucks, here's why:

1. If those of us who live downtown wanted familes and kids around us, we would move to the suburbs. On of THE main reasons we came downtown was so that we wouldn't have families and kids around us. Look at the family housing that's been built downtown, it's sitting mostly empty; well and nobody wants to live 10 feet from the train.

2. If you want to promote growth, put a grocery store downtown. There are already enough people downtown to support a grocery and more are moving down here every week.

3. You actually will hinder growth by putting a school in the arts district because now if a new restaurant wants to open they cant because nobody wants to open if they can't serve alcohol.

Just look at the school that already is downtown: Emerson Elementary. There isn't any new development within three blocks of this school. Nobody wants to develop near a school PERIOD!

So I close this note with saying: PLEASE rethink any plans you may be making, think this thru, I've seen someone say it here...don't Edmond my downtown.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by okcrob View Post

So I have recently found out that some of the planners of our fair city would like to build an elementary school in downtown the arts district to be specific hoping to attract more families to the area. Their hope is that more families in downtown would mean more growth for the downtown area. This idea sucks, here's why:

1. If those of us who live downtown wanted familes and kids around us, we would move to the suburbs. On of THE main reasons we came downtown was so that we wouldn't have families and kids around us. Look at the family housing that's been built downtown, it's sitting mostly empty; well and nobody wants to live 10 feet from the train.

2. If you want to promote growth, put a grocery store downtown. There are already enough people downtown to support a grocery and more are moving down here every week.

3. You actually will hinder growth by putting a school in the arts district because now if a new restaurant wants to open they cant because nobody wants to open if they can't serve alcohol.

Just look at the school that already is downtown: Emerson Elementary. There isn't any new development within three blocks of this school. Nobody wants to develop near a school PERIOD!

So I close this note with saying: PLEASE rethink any plans you may be making, think this thru, I've seen someone say it here...don't Edmond my downtown.

You don't want a community downtown, you want a singles bar. Those are in the suburbs too. Lots of kid hate issues it sounds like. As much as you hate it, communities have FAMILIES. Sounds like you just need to get a loft in Bricktown and be happy.

The location for the elementary school is awkward, putting a school south of new boulevard next to new central park would have been a better choice.

18. Default Re: Downtown Elementary School

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    You don't want a community downtown, you want a singles bar. Those are in the suburbs too. Lots of kid hate issues it sounds like. As much as you hate it, communities have FAMILIES. Sounds like you just need to get a loft in Bricktown and be happy.
    I don't like what Bricktown has become either. I have no problem with Kids. I have problems with the that people want this city to become the next Dallas, or even better the next Austin, they dont realize that retail and restaurants drive that growth, NOT SCHOOLS AND FAMILIES. I live on what I call "the good side" of Downtown for a reason because it has the potential to become the sprawling urban environment that I like. Look at NYC all of the family areas are out from the "core" Upper West side is the soccer mom capital of the world.

Blog Entries

I don't like what Bricktown has become either. I have no problem with Kids. I have problems with the that people want this city to become the next Dallas, or even better the next Austin, they dont realize that retail and restaurants drive that growth, NOT SCHOOLS AND FAMILIES. I live on what I call "the good side" of Downtown for a reason because it has the potential to become the sprawling urban environment that I like. Look at NYC all of the family areas are out from the "core" Upper West side is the soccer mom capital of the world.
    Obviously you don't know New York City. I have an apartment in NYC and my wife and I are there quite a lot. It is in the "trendy" Meatpacking, Chelsea, part of the city. There are lots of families in the area. What you describe is a singles apartment complex, not a community. I am glad OKC is trying to make downtown a real living and sustainable community. Jobs, schools, families all make a vibrant economy. The idea that a restaurant or bar is an economic pillar is totally unfounded. Those are merely services and create little demand.

3. You actually will hinder growth by putting a school in the arts district because now if

a new restaurant wants to open they cant because nobody wants to open if they can't serve alcohol.

That sounds a bit self-elevating and stuck up don't ya think? Maybe some families would like to live in downtown. As Rover stated, real communities have families in them, and have more than just restaurants and bars. Communities consist of more than just restaurants and bars. They consist of people, including families, schools, churches, stores, parks, and many other things. Just because you only want a certain demographic of humanity living in your section of the city, does not mean that those who don't fit your mold shouldn't live there.

I'm young, live downtown, and hope more families move downtown. The elementary should probably be in a different location, but the reasons in the rant are pretty selfish and uninformed.

I don't tend to wish ill on anyone, so when I ponder the thought of the OP awakening one morning to realize adjacent to him are moving vans carrying his new neighbors, which include a family with a set of chronically crying triplets, and a family with a quad teens who happen to have an in much need of practice garage band, along with their five friends who make up the horn section, and a family that has a soccer mom with a Cub Scout, a Girl Scout and a band member sibling, all prone to knock on doors for fundraisers, I do so only with a song in my heart and a wish for the OP to learn the true joy of how wonderful it is to see families grow and prosper up close. No, now, don't be so cynical. I mean it.

23. Default Re: Downtown Elementary School

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I don't tend to wish ill on anyone, so when I ponder the thought of the OP awakening one morning to realize adjacent to him are moving vans carrying his new neighbors, which include a family with a set of chronically crying triplets, and a family with a quad teens who happen to have an in much need of practice garage band, along with their five friends who make up the horn section, and a family that has a soccer mom with a Cub Scout, a Girl Scout and a band member sibling, all prone to knock on doors for fundraisers, I do so only with a song in my heart and a wish for the OP to learn the true joy of how wonderful it is to see families grow and prosper up close. No, now, don't be so cynical. I mean it.
    I totally agree with what everyone has said. I agree families help make a community but I also know that I would like to have the choice of who my neighbors are. Is that selfish? Sure it is but it's my money that's paying my rent so I think I get to choose who I live next door to, if anyone thinks differently then I invite you to check out some very affordable housing on the cities NE side.

Yes it is selfish. You can't pick and choose what individuals rent the house or apartment next door. If they have the money and can pay the owner of the location, they can move in and there's not a thing you can say about it.

It appears to me from your post, the only people that should live downtown are 20-30 year old singles, with the main attraction being bars and restaurants. If you want a grocery downtown, good luck getting one without more families. Single people don't buy that many groceries, families buy a ton of groceries.

We're not talking about building Disney Land where kids get in the way, we are talking about a school. Kids need to learn somehow, and with the growing downtown population, it's important to support that growth with the public services it requires. It would be stupid to turn away people who do want to live downtown, because their kid goes to school somewhere else and can't move/transfer.

What happens if you all the sudden have a kid, do you want to immediately surrender your place downtown, to move into the suburbs because you don't have a place for the kids to go when they are old enough?

I totally agree with what everyone has said. I agree families help make a community but I also know that I would like to have the choice of who my neighbors are. Is that selfish? Sure it is but it's my money that's paying my rent so I think I get to choose who I live next door to, if anyone thinks differently then I invite you to check out some very affordable housing on the cities NE side.

Explain to me what entitles you to pick and choose your neighbors? I believe they ate also paying for their residence. Get over yourself and learn how the world works.

Thread Information