Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: John Rex Elementary

Default Re: Downtown Elementary School

Well well well looks like Bob Howard is a finalist for the convention center, guys I tell ya I know what I am talking ABOUT, Hey Spartan I will make a believer out of ya.

finalist may be going a bit far, sounds more like they are back to square one "starting with a clean slate" and all. It is just another being added to the mix

Quote Originally Posted by Reno and Walker View Post
    Well well well looks like Bob Howard is a finalist for the convention center, guys I tell ya I know what I am talking ABOUT, Hey Spartan I will make a believer out of ya.
    Don't take everything you see in the news or hear "on the street" at face value. I think that would be pretty evident. Of course they're going to perform a "search" in the public eye for the best site. We've already had 6-7 consultants come in and advise on the convention center. There is a clear consensus it will be on the boulevard, on either side of the tracks. There will be another consultant to come in (Populous) and probably another after that. They will have spent millions and millions in consulting fees by the time they think they have the political capital/public trust to announce the C2S convention center's location...it's all a big game.

Default Sheridan/Walker Lot

Anyone know who owns the empty lot at Sheridan and Walker that's currently being used to store cars and for parking? This seems like a prime location for a mid rise housing development or office tower. It's a shame it's currently being used as it is, being downtown.

Default Re: Sheridan/Walker Lot

Isn't it owned by the city? I think that is the location for the new downtown elementary school?

Yes, owned by the city and site of future downtown elementary school.

Currently used by Devon construction workers.

Does the school going on that lot effect what else will be allowed to be put in within a certain distance? Are there regulations about what kind of establishments are allowed to be within a certain distance of the school?

I think the ones that are already in the area are grandfathered in, but any new businesses will have to abide by the distance laws.

Yes, there is a grandfather clause for liquor licenses but there is also an exception process for anything that goes in after the school opens.

Considering the location and the likely change/growth of that area, I imagine they would be pretty lenient with restaurants that wanted to serve alcohol.

10. Default Re: Sheridan/Walker Lot

Im under the impression that that lot is 4 square blocks big. If this is true, doesn't that seem to big to have JUST a downtown elementary school (which are typically not very big anyways)?

I would hope that it would not be a school surrounded by a sea of parking !......
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Im under the impression that that lot is 4 square blocks big. If this is true, doesn't that seem to big to have JUST a downtown elementary school (which are typically not very big anyways)?

I would hope that it would not be a school surrounded by a sea of parking !......
    Very few elementary schools are surrounded by a sea of parking because it isn't needed. Not many elementary students drive to school. LOL
    It would need some open area for recreation, however.

12. Default Re: Sheridan/Walker Lot

that's why Im wondering why we need the entiere space for the school as like you said, elementary schools aren't typically big (so why the need for such a big plot)?

Open area....is this the lot across the street to the west of the stage center? Wouldn't it be okay for the kids to use the Myriad gardens....it has an open field, plus a children's area. and if they have soccer, baseball, etc. they could use the C2S park?

Seems like a lot of large cities use this method. The parks are public, the school is public. Let both benefit from being across the street from each other (or just a block over in this case).

14. Default Re: Sheridan/Walker Lot

great point SkyWest! That would be a truly urban experience, to have recess each day at MGB or a different downtown park. .....

hence another reason why Im wondering why they need the entire lot for the school. I honestly think the school should be closer to Deep Deuce or Midtown, say near the OKC memorial - since that is where most of the people are living. .... This lot could/should be used for commercial development IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    Open area....is this the lot across the street to the west of the stage center? Wouldn't it be okay for the kids to use the Myriad gardens....it has an open field, plus a children's area. and if they have soccer, baseball, etc. they could use the C2S park?

Seems like a lot of large cities use this method. The parks are public, the school is public. Let both benefit from being across the street from each other (or just a block over in this case).
    Those areas would be too far from the school to be reasonable for everyday use during school hours. I'm sure it could be done but it's not practical. It's much safer to have on site facilities. Occasional outings to both parks could be beneficial, however.

that's why Im wondering why we need the entiere space for the school as like you said, elementary schools aren't typically big (so why the need for such a big plot)?
    Maybe we should wait to see what is planned before getting too concerned about it. They might actually know what they're doing. LOL

The Myriad Gardens is not that far away.....

18. Default Re: Sheridan/Walker Lot

well lj, this is an urban thread and in these forums we discuss ideas in order to explore options.

Nothing has been said about the downtown school other than the probable location on that huge lot. Hence why I and others may be curious as to 'why there?' for a downtown school that is disconnected from the rest of downtown and the lot is likely way to big for elementary schools using existing ones as benchmarks.

I do agree with you that people planning it likely know what they are doing, but since nothing has been said by them and this is a forum, dont be surprised if I and others talk about it - even if it is speculative or qualitative.

No.

Blog Entries

Elementary schools need playgrounds, whether urban or suburban. There have been any number of studies on this in New York City and they are struggling with providing enough safe area. I don't think the school wants to take responsibility for the safety and security of kids leaving the school premises and going to a park for recess. Dealing with the safety of street crossings, kidnappings and lost kids, offsite injuries, possible drownings in the MG ponds, etc. would be too much responsibility and liability for the school. Most of all though, it just wouldn't be safe for the kids. They need a secure play area AT the school.

I have to set you guys straight again. I believe City Arts is going to move there from the State Fair Grounds.. Lets see if I can go 2 for 2 .. The Elementary school has been an idea for 25 years, ever since Urban Renewal relocated the peacock back in 1983.. I hope a school does not go there it is too close to Film Row and City Rescue Mission transients. I believe still a little unsafe for kids due to the location of the Mission.

Also the alley that runs West off of Dewey between Reno and California is a drug highway for transients and prostitutes.It would be a horrible location for a school unless they move the mission which will never happen in my lifetime.

22. Default Re: Sheridan/Walker Lot

Here here, RW. ....

And it would be great and totally appropriate if City Arts can build a nice gallery and hq there, given it is in the Arts District and we need more ART hq attractions there. ....

23. Default Re: Sheridan/Walker Lot

Reno and Walker - you're dead on with City Arts. I think you underestimate what's about to happen to your neighborhood. I really want to meet you in person ...
    Put yourself in a time machine. It lands in Deep Deuce, circa 2000. Look around you; it's not a pretty sight. There are boarded up buildings everywhere, it's blighted, some really bad-off folks are coming to and from the detox at the top of the hill.
    But you've traveled by time machine... and you know that it's all about to change.
    I am suggesting to you that at this very moment you are looking at the equivalent of Deep Deuce, circa 2000. And yes, your world is about to change. Everything I'm seeing indicates that all the unfulfilled promises you've heard since the Peacock was forced to move and skid row was razed are about to come true.
    Expect the alley to be closed. Expect the mission to change its focus to families, women and children. Expect the nuisance created by the I-40 elevation to disappear in three years...

Hey Steve - I know you are right, but it cannot happen fast enough. See you soon my friend.

25. Default Re: Sheridan/Walker Lot

I ONLY wish you guys could give us more detailed/concrete information. .....

Thanks for the teasers though, it does provide for interesting conversation.

Thread Information